Hello, Colin Archer ca 40 info - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2014 Thread Starter

Hello, Colin Archer ca 40 info

Hello, my name is Oskar and I`m new here. I`ve been looking at the Colin Archer CA 40 from 1981. Does someone have information about these boats?
Not so much on the web.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Dock
Re: Hello, Colin Archer ca 40 info

Welcome to Sailnet, Oskar

Colin Archer was a highly-respected designer and a quick web search brings up a fair bit of information about the CA40, including a video of one in the Baltic. What are looking for exactly?

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office
post #3 of 9 Old 08-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskarhhh View Post
Hello, my name is Oskar and I`m new here. I`ve been looking at the Colin Archer CA 40 from 1981. Does someone have information about these boats?
Not so much on the web.

Thank you
There are lots of new builds sold as Colin Archer designs, that at best is modified Colin Archer designs. But in many cases all they have from Colin Archer is two pointy ends..
In fact Colin Archer did not only design double enders....

Collin Archer was born in 1832 and died in 1921
He started building and designed boats (and ships) i 1867.

To be able to say more about this particular boat you would need to know which of his designs this boat is built from.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-15-2014

Colin Archer boats as a term

The name of the designer Collin Archer seem to be used as a type description today.

I have translated a section from the Norwegian Wikipedia page about CA.
"Colin Archer-skøyte som betegnelse"

Quote:
A real Colin Archer is of course a boat designed and built by Colin Archer or designed by him and built to his designs without too much modification.
Today Colin Archer is used as term to describe all kind of sailing vessels that have similarity to the Norwegian "Skøyte", even though they have nothing to do with Colin Archer.
In other countries they do not have a name for "Skøyte", so even Swedish and Danish boats of similar design is referred to as Colin Archer.
Even boats built in steel and plastic, with little or no resemblance to CA designs are referred to as Colin Archer's.
This is done to describe the type of boat, ie pointed aft. Often it seems to be an attempt to achieve better price when selling or for better status.
Anyway, perhaps this has made Colin Archer's name and the southern "Skøyte" the most famous type of boat in the world.

Colin Archer started his career by copying the "Hvaler Skøyte", and looked at other "Skøyte" designs in the districts around. Places where "Skøyte" construction had taken place before he started, this includes Tenvik (by Ula), Risør and The southern coats in general.

Many builders looked on course Archers boats and made ​​their improved versions that could be just as good and maybe better than several of Colin Archers designs.

There are some famous boats that Colin Archer undeserved is credited for here are two examples:
"HoHo" built in 1908, probably by the legendary boat builder Nils Eriksen Narvik in Risør as the pilot boat "Fast" probably designed by Jens Brandi, a famous Boat designer from Risoer.
"Rundø" was built and designed by Christensen & Moen Risoer in 1925 as a pilot boat.
Both these boats sailed around the world in respectively 1933 (HoHo) and 1958 (Rundø), there are books written about these voyages.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-15-2014
S/V Calypso

Welcome to SailNet!

The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate. – Bern Williams
post #6 of 9 Old 08-15-2014 Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. l can't find information where the boats were built and who manufactured them. I live in Sweden and my plan is to have the boat as a fulltime home. We get ice here in the winter and I would like to leave the boat in the water all year ( if possible) I've heard that these boats hull is built to be freezed into the ice, can that be correct?

Thank you

Skickat från min iPad
post #7 of 9 Old 08-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskarhhh View Post
Thank you for the response. l can't find information where the boats were built and who manufactured them. I live in Sweden and my plan is to have the boat as a fulltime home. We get ice here in the winter and I would like to leave the boat in the water all year ( if possible) I've heard that these boats hull is built to be freezed into the ice, can that be correct?

Thank you

Skickat från min iPad
An real Colin Archer designed/built boat would be made if wood. Not suited for freezing into ice.

You must not confuse these small boats with the polar ships Colin Archer designed and built.

If the boat is made of fibreglass it can work, but it depends on the local conditions. Where in Sweeden will you keep the boat?

Here in Norway it's common to "bubling harbours" to keep the ice away from the hull.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-15-2014

Icing in can be pretty tricky.A hull has to be abnormally strong (Fram) to withstand the pressure if the ice moves.Wind or a passing ship can cut or crush. I know of a couple of successful winterings in ice.I also can name a few unsuccessful. Bubbling at 40 below is pretty risky too. I sailed a 48 ' Colin archer (norwegian fish boat) across the Atlantic but I sure wouldn't want to drag her up the beach(by hand or bulldozer) come winter like we do in the Beaufort.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-30-2015

hello,

I am a owner of this Colin Archer CA 40 (youtube video colin archer ca40 baltic sea) and would be interested to sell it (mayde).
She is doct to Finland, Hanko.

+358 405509006

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in