good to be here - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2014 Thread Starter

good to be here

The website asks me to introduce myself but I am not sure if this is the intended method. Oh well-- just bought a new to me Irwin 34 and planning to move her this Fall from Lake Erie to the Chesapeake by going clockwise on the Loop. I hear that I have to drop the mast to get thru the canals of New York. Any suggestions as to another route maybe up into Ontario that will allow the mast to remain upright? If I have to step the mast, does the boat have to be pulled out? Also, my boat has the original gas stove/oven that is gold in color. Thinking of replacing it with a stainless- any suggestions on where to look for updated appliances- would also like to upgrade from an icebox to a refrig. thx bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-17-2014
One of None

Re: good to be here

Pictures Bob!!
congrats on the buy!
There are conversion kits to make a ice box run on 12volt Refrigeration. VERY efficient too.

Too many stoves to choose from so I'll leave you to that.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #3 of 8 Old 08-17-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

If you have lots of time and are confident with a more challenging passage you can go down the St Lawrence River and around Nova Scotia. This is much, much further and gives you access to some incredible cruising grounds. We have done a recent circumnavigation and still have southern Newfoundland at the top of our list of cruising grounds. It is incredible. I would not want to take this route without radar though. Lots of fog between the lower St Lawrence River and Maine.

Getting your mast down is no big deal. The boat does not need to be hauled. There are marinas at both ends of the canal that will do it for you. You store it on deck for the canal passage. You have one choice to make. You can enter the canal system at Buffalo or at Oswego near the the SE corner of Lake Ontario. If it is a pure delivery the Buffalo option is best, but if you want to be a tourist then the Lake Ontario option is good.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2014
S/V Calypso

Congrats on the boat and welcome to SailNet! There are a lot of good folks here that always seem free with a suggestion or idea.

The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate. Bern Williams
post #5 of 8 Old 08-20-2014

Yes, please post pics when you get to 10 posts!

1992 Catalina 42 "Ankyra"
1988 Catalina 30 TRFK "Bare Feet"
1974 Catalina 22 swing keel "O'really!"
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2014

Welcome.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-26-2014

welcome
post #8 of 8 Old 08-27-2014
Bring On The Wind

Congrats on your new boat Bob, post some pics for us.

S/V CatManDeux
Catalina 22

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in