Hi I live in Virginia - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 08-28-2014 Thread Starter

Re: Hi I live in Virginia

Hi,

Jim I am in Fredericksburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Magill View Post
Hi Nate,
My name is Jim. I'm new here and new to sailing. Where in VA? I'm in VA also.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 08-28-2014 Thread Starter

I am in Fredericksburg, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
What part of VA are you in? Closer to DC or Norfolk?
post #13 of 26 Old 08-28-2014

closer to West Virginia.... but I work in Arlington. There are a few clubs here in the DC area.

post #14 of 26 Old 08-28-2014 Thread Starter

This club you have to already own a yacht.

Quote:
It really depends on the club. There is a yacht club at the top of the Chesapeake that's $50 and has a strong racing program.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-28-2014 Thread Starter

I think clubs are okay besides the fees. Many I think you have to be a boat owner like the cheapeake yacht club.

I thing this forum is like a club. no need to waste money on silly clubs. There are good folks everywhere. Just have to search.

I remember when I wanted to get my motorcycle license and I did not own a bike. I walked up to this older gentlemen that I new from my job and he taught me on the weekends. Never charged me a penny. His attitude was, I am just helping another member on the road. He built support. I really appreciated his gratitiude.

So I will just keep searching. I am sure there is someone who will love company on their boat.
post #16 of 26 Old 08-28-2014

Again, I'm new to all this but that does sound a little silly that you have to own a yacht before you can join. Maybe that's normal some places.
post #17 of 26 Old 08-28-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

I googled and you might have to extend your range but it'll be worth it. Sail clubs or sailing associations are usually less expensive than yacht clubs.

If you lived near Norfolk it would be a lot easier. Consider moving?

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-28-2014 Thread Starter

Ahhh, so there is a difference in sail and yacht club. I hate motorized stuff anyway. I am Columbus type mentality hehe. Wind is Free fuel and just follow Bernoulli's Principle making your sail like an airplane wing to produce lift/force.

I may have to move. I will see. What a club you recommend in Norfolk for sailing?

Quote:
I googled and you might have to extend your range but it'll be worth it. Sail clubs or sailing associations are usually less expensive than yacht clubs.

If you lived near Norfolk it would be a lot easier. Consider moving?
post #19 of 26 Old 08-28-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Magill View Post
Again, I'm new to all this but that does sound a little silly that you have to own a yacht before you can join. Maybe that's normal some places.
Not always. There are some that maintain a fleet that members can use. Others will match boatless members with those who have boats. That's how I started before I bought my first boat. It allowed me to see if I liked sailing and then to try different boats before I bought one myself.

You just have to keep your eyes open.

I don't think clubs are silly especially if they get you on a boat. Not everyone is comfortable asking strangers to take them out on their boat and not every boat owner wants to take out a stranger without some sort of introduction. There are always exceptions.

Another advantage of a club is that some have in-club training, you get the expertise of those more experienced and you have a body to ask questions.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #20 of 26 Old 08-28-2014

Hey Nate. Welcome. I'm new here also. Looks like a lot of new members. I also lived in Virginia for a few years. In the Richmond area. I went to school a couple years at John Tyler Community College back in the mid 90's. Fun times and a great state for just about anything. I liked traveling down to the Carolina's for the beaches, Washington for big city and western Virginia for skiing. Also loved the Norfolk area. Played some ball over there.

I'm in the market for a boat and hitting up members on this site to take me sailing. So far a good response. People here are great and knowledgable. Good luck to you hear.
The Following User Says Thank You to JackCalico For This Useful Post:
solarwindsailor (08-28-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in