Hi I live in Virginia - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 08-28-2014 Thread Starter

Smile Hi I live in Virginia

Hi All,

My name is Nate. I live in Virginia. I use to commercial fish up in Alaska, and ever since have been in love with the ocean, well warm ocean only.

I am in the process of getting started on a dinghy to learn the wind and taking some sailing courses.

Anyone here in VA that I can link up with to learn, please shoot me an email?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-28-2014

Re: Hi I live in Virginia

Hi Nate,

Welcome to the board. I just recently got my first sailboat. I look forward to hearing about your expierences, both in Alaska, and sailing.

John
post #3 of 26 Old 08-28-2014 Thread Starter

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. I was in AK for 2 years. I was I landed in Anchorage, then took a shuttle out to Homer, then a ferry out to Kodiak.

My original plan was to make it out to Dutch Harbor, but what I learned is that fishing rules have changed drastically. There is no more big money in it even for the gigantic boats because back then they just paid for the fishing or crabbing license and caught unlimited amount for the season. Now they have to buy a share and sort of guess on how much they will catch.

So what I mean is lets say you paid for shares for king crabbing and paid X amount per pounds of King crab you would catch. That could easily be $200K for a big boat. Then you only catch and make profit of either too little over or under. It is really a gamble and not a stable income plus the bering sea is not a play around ocean.

When I was there I heard a boat sank, hit ice and waves just toppled it. So all these boats have this special life board boat that inflates and zips up completely. I think it was 2 or 4 sailors in it and were found frozen with no injuries inside a few days later. I mean drowning was the last thing to happen , but the hypothermia killed them quickly so for this reason I only like warm because you can jump in and swim if you have to.

Besides this I have seen eagles, sea otters, elk, many types of fish. The captain I was with asked me what I want for dinner and I said I love fish. So we caught a fresh halibut and he showed me how to fillet it. Fresh halibut's taste was amazing. Can't ever get that from a store because it is frozen. By the way any fish you see from AK here in the lower 48 states has been frozen and thawed a million times. I would not buy it. Then the next night we caught Black Cod and oh boy, let me tell ya, this fish is delicious.

After Kodiak I went to Juneau, AK and got on a different boat. Very small about 36ft. We did salmon gill netting. That is where I had fresh SOckeye and king salmon. We also caught a lot of pink salmon which is garbage fish compared to the two I mentioned. If you go to walmart or most stores you will see they sell pink salmon in a can as if its high quality. Seriously it is low grade of the fishes. I learned a lot in terms of food quality and grade. Now I know what to look for.

I knew some folks in AK. They use to scuba dive to get king crab when they opened the season. They use to drag an open net and can see them walking on the bottom of the ocean floor and would just toss them in the net. The only problem is you need a huge pot to cook it which they did usually in their back yard.

Brings back some memories
scratchee and cudamank like this.

post #4 of 26 Old 08-28-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

Hi Nate. Welcome to SailNet.

You might try googling for sail clubs in your area. Inexpensive annual dues and many are racing clubs that go out regularly and need crew. You'll learn a lot and perhaps find a mentor, which is always a fun way to continue learning.
CatMan22 likes this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-28-2014

You can scuba dive to catch blue crab in the Bay but a crab pot is easier.

Welcome

Sabre 38 "Victoria"
post #6 of 26 Old 08-28-2014 Thread Starter

Would yacht club be the same? I only see two in my area and no website or any info. I guess I will have to call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Hi Nate. Welcome to SailNet.

You might try googling for sail clubs in your area. Inexpensive annual dues and many are racing clubs that go out regularly and need crew. You'll learn a lot and perhaps find a mentor, which is always a fun way to continue learning.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-28-2014

Dock

It really depends on the club. There is a yacht club at the top of the Chesapeake that's $50 and has a strong racing program.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #8 of 26 Old 08-28-2014 Thread Starter

Yes, pot is easier, but they also enjoyed scuba diving. It just depends. I think if it too cold I would personally use a small pot with tiny chicken pieces as bate hooked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
You can scuba dive to catch blue crab in the Bay but a crab pot is easier.

Welcome
post #9 of 26 Old 08-28-2014

Dock

What part of VA are you in? Closer to DC or Norfolk?

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

post #10 of 26 Old 08-28-2014

Hi Nate,
My name is Jim. I'm new here and new to sailing. Where in VA? I'm in VA also.

Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in