New from Chicago - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-28-2015 Thread Starter

New from Chicago

Good morning from Chicago. I'm a 51-year old retired guy that is looking to begin to sail. My goal is to be able to safely cruise for extended periods of time. Right now, it seems like an attractive retirement plan I'll lurk for a while and read as I go. Thanks for your patience in advance.

eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-28-2015
Administrator

Dock
Re: New from Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjaku View Post
Good morning from Chicago. I'm a 51-year old retired guy that is looking to begin to sail. My goal is to be able to safely cruise for extended periods of time. Right now, it seems like an attractive retirement plan I'll lurk for a while and read as I go. Thanks for your patience in advance.

eric
Welcome,

I am from Chicago also, West Loop Greektown.

I hang out at Belmont and Burhnam Harbors helping my buddies out on the docks.

Sounds like a solid plan

Jeff
post #3 of 7 Old 05-28-2015
The most female moderator

Dock

We don't have near enough information from the OP to say it's a "solid plan." Starting with the fact that he doesn't yet sail and probably has not stayed on a sailboat for any length of time. Once he gets a realistic idea of the cost of maintaining a boat, the comforts he has to give up, the all around lifestyle change, then things will begin to be clearer to him.

To the OP I would suggest spending a LOT of time in the Liveaboard forum and then start to ask your inevitable questions. Lots of members here who are living aboard will be happy to help.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-28-2015
Working for next Boat

As stated above read all you can, get on a sailboat as much as you can, learn as much as you can. and in a few months see if you think you might still want to go, how far do you want to go, how much of Land life are you willing to forgo, How much do you have to spent on the boat and up keep for the first 3 years.

3 months later see where you are again.

Hope you decide to go Sailing, Fair Winds

ps we really do want new people to join the Sailing Community Honest

MobiusALilBitTwisted
S/V

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
post #5 of 7 Old 05-28-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks all. Deal... I'll update in 3 months.
Currently reading Sleight's Sailing Manual
Any other suggested readings?
Out of the forums, I've already been lurking on the Live Aboard. Good discussions....
best to all.
eric
post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2015 Thread Starter

Question - How do you get experience on different boats? As a beginner I want to sail and learn as much as I can, and it would seem that in Chicago there are those opportunities. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to amass sailing experience?

eric

Everything changes; everything is connected; pay attention.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-30-2015
The most female moderator

Dock

I joined a local sailing club. Google them in your area. Sailing clubs are an inexpensive way to get on different boats, get different opinions from the skippers, many clubs have some sort of training (either in water or after a meeting).

For $35/year I was able to sail on other people's boats while I decided if this was really an investment I wanted to make.

Make a list of the clubs you're interested in and study the web sites. Note if they have racing, day sails, weekend sails, etc. Attend a few meetings before making a commitment to see if you're comfortable with the members and how welcoming they are. At one point I belonged to three at the same time because each club had something different to offer.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Last edited by Donna_F; 05-30-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in