New to sailing - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 06-05-2015

Re: New to sailing

Scott I'm sure that Denise meant no offense.. you did kinda set the tone in your OP.

Take a deep breath. Plenty of good people and advice on this forum. You are very early in this game as you yourself have said. Lots to absorb, once you learn more then perhaps you can properly separate the wheat from the chaff.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 06-06-2015

Welcome aboard, Scott! From my perspecive:
I never get tired of sailing.
I am really tired of fixing my boat, but that's an ongoing necessity regardless of year, type, condition...

Good luck hope you find a boat that fits and get sailing soon!
diverchick71 likes this.

MikeA
News Editor, Waterway Guide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s/v Cat Lady
Gemini 105Mc
post #13 of 18 Old 06-06-2015
Catalina 400 MKII

Scott, I'd like to second Capta"s reply. The thing about projects boats is that they can take up sooo much time and resources. That's great. I've done a few too. However, before that commitment, you might want to take the time (consider this the first step of the project), figuring out what you like to do sailing. For example, the idea of cruising - my personal favorite sailing, by the way - has so many variations and types. And each of those variations has a set of boats that are best suited to it. In addition, each individual finds their own personal likes and dislikes. So before you start the project, study the end use that best fits you. How to do that? That's the fun part. Go sailing. Take some lessons. Go down to the docks and make friends. It's amazing how many people really want, and need, people to crew on their boats. Sail a bunch of different boats, with different people, and different situations. After a while you might find that your ideas of what you want, grow and change and finally you get some insight on what you really want.

By the way, a 35 to 40 foot boat is really pretty large. Depending on your needs and preferences, that might be a big project to start with. Also, the age question depends so much on different variables: what you like, the condition of the project at the start, how much money you have to spend, what your skill set is, etc. It's funny, some people just love a certain boat, and the next person just hates it. It's such a personal decision. Either way, I hope you continue to love sailing, and when the time is right, I hope you find the project boat that makes sense for both your head and your heart.

post #14 of 18 Old 06-06-2015
The most female moderator

Dock

My first boat was a semi-project boat. It was small enough (22 feet) that I could teach myself basic boat maintenance without making my bank account weep if I really screwed up and was seaworthy enough to learn how to sail in between doing the work. It also gave me time to figure out if I really wanted a larger boat, what I wanted in a larger boat, and time to look for that larger boat while still sailing.

Good luck.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-06-2015

I don't know what your budget, time commitment or sailing waters are, but get an older boat that does not need much work in the low 20ft range.

Sail it for a year and you will discover what you want/need then go get a boat that fits your desires.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-06-2015
First Mate/Galley Wench

Send a message via Skype™ to diverchick71

Scott, I was about in your situation when I started looking at boats and exploring the cruising lifestyle. I can say...I did not buy a project boat, it had plenty ok with it and STILL...it's overwhelming. If you are looking at projects, you are most certainly looking at soft spots on the deck, chain plates that need replacing, standing rigging, stuff that is SERIOUSLY expensive and a bit overwhelming to replace. The advice you're getting (even from Denise) is good advice with your best interest in mind. And there is a real fine line between a "project boat" that is worth replacing, and one that is a hole in the water into which you throw money. There are boats that are FREE that aren't a good deal. Finding a good compromise takes lots of looking and sailing knowledge. Just go into it with open eyes. I'm so glad I was talked out of buying a project boat. I had these beautiful visions of long days working on my boat...I was going to re-do everything. When I got my boat, reality hit. I love her, I am so happy with her, and I'm also SO happy that I don't have more to fix before I actually start cruising. If you tell us your budget, end cruising goal (coastal hopping vs crossing oceans) and experience level, and what is important, you will get better responses and ultimately better advice.

Never regret something that once made you smile--Me

post #17 of 18 Old 06-06-2015

Hi Scott,
We have a 1980 37C Hunter that we really like. We sailed her from North Carolina down to the USVI a year and a half ago. Getting a survey done is really essential. A good surveyor can let you know about any major work that needs to be done. It's not foolproof but can help let you know if there are any glaring inconsistencies. I think diverchick271 has some good thoughts too. Get the best boat for your money because even a well maintained boat will need lots of work over the years. But, that being said, enjoy the experience. Sailing gets in your blood that's for sure. We love living on our boat and look forward to doing more cruising in the future.

Best,

Camile
Mountains and Seashore
post #18 of 18 Old 06-08-2015

The thing is, all boats of that age are projects. I'd suggest that you get the best-maintained example that you can afford. There'll still be plenty of things to work on, believe me, but there's a chance you'll get some sailing done in between.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in