New Edel 540 owner - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Venturer2015

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-29-2015 Thread Starter

Red face New Edel 540 owner

Hi everyone from the prairies
So a few weeks back I decided that it would be fun to do some sailing. Something I really enjoyed doing at school, more than just a few years ago, but I remember it vividly and how much fun it was, the silence and the water swishing past.
So living as I do on the Saskatchewan border in Manitoba, there was not a huge selection of boats available, without a many hour drive East or West and although I started with the idea of a 12 or 14ft dinghy my aspirations grew. Helped along by some very useful research information from this site. Eventually I found the 540 mentioned above and figured that, at least if I wanted to the cabin could be put to use. Anyway the day came and I picked her up. The guy that I bought her from had designed a sysem to raise the mast solo. He showed me how that all worked. So here I am. Since then I have also found info on types of battery propulsion from here so keep up the good tips guys and gals. I have a rigging question but I will post it on a different thread
take care all
Happy Sailing
i_amcdn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-02-2015
Tripper 17

Re: New Edel 540 owner

Nice! The cabin can be a nice place to get out of the sun, too.

My MinnKota Riptide 50 electric motor monitors its own load and draws only what it needs from the battery, giving extended use of the charge and lessening wear on the battery. It's proven very useful on our longer trips.

Happy sailing!

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." - Yogi Berra
post #3 of 3 Old 07-02-2015 Thread Starter

Re: New Edel 540 owner

Hi Tripper
I did some research myself on the electric propulsion kits available and comments from all over and finally decided on a Newport Vessels 55lb unit which should cope in conditions I will be sailing in just to get her either off the dock or tailer etc. and there is a solar panel mounted on the rail at the stern to which was there when I bought her.
Sail away

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in