What the heck am I doing? - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-30-2015 Thread Starter
Never Let Go

Send a message via Yahoo to Hold-Fast
What the heck am I doing?

So I feel somewhat strange. I buy a house, build hot rods, accumulate amounts of stuff. Now I realize I hate yard work, Im tired of building cars, all my car friends have moved out of California, my girlfriend split...my house is too big...blah blah blah
Where was the trigger that kicked all this salty stuff off? I don't know. I just remember being a Quartermaster in the Navy, learning navigation, celestial and satellite. Reading charts and learning lights and knots...
That was years ago. Now I just keep gazing at sail boats. A LOT.
So now Ive gotten rid of most of the crap in my house and am selling my old truck. Im buying a Big truck to get this Starwind 223 I found out in the desert with a broken mast and missing a motor. I'll learn to fix it and learn to sail it. Well... It's a start. Beyond that I hate yard work. But I already said that.
Guess I'm just not a house and white picket fence guy.
Hi I'm Matt. Thank you for being here for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-30-2015

Re: What the heck am I doing?

Hello Matt. Welcome to SN and the club. I would personally Would just cruise the docks and maybe bum a a ride or two and see if you like the lifestyle and get some pointers. Then if it is positive go for it.
Hold-Fast likes this.

Part time PADI instructor, part time sailor. Full time having a blast.

S/V TEMPTATION
Islander 44

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jerryrlitton For This Useful Post:
Hold-Fast (07-31-2015)
post #3 of 20 Old 07-30-2015

Matt you are in San Diego not Phoenix, there are thousands of perfectly good sailboats floating very near to you, you don't need to resurrect a derelict from the desert.
Quote:
I just remember being a Quartermaster in the Navy, learning navigation, celestial and satellite. Reading charts and learning lights and knots...
That's the part you want, not the chipping, scrapping, painting and polishing. If you are tired of cutting the lawn etc. you can't imagine the horror of working for years on a boat you can't sail. Join a club and go sailing, don't BUY another sinkhole for your labor and money.
Quote:
I'll learn to fix it and learn to sail it
Skip the first part, learning to fix it comes with EVERY boat, how can you fix something if you don't know how it's supposed to work anyway?

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 07-30-2015 at 11:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to capttb For This Useful Post:
Hold-Fast (07-31-2015)

post #4 of 20 Old 07-30-2015

You have a good background on the water. It won't be hard to remember what you might have forgotten about navigation and such. It seems you have some residual saltwater in your veins.

Might be easier to keep the old truck and get a trailer for the Starwind.

You must be good with your hands if you've built hot rods. Just don't try to put a V8 in the Starwind.

With the water situation in CA, put gravel in the yard, like my house in AZ had. That will cut down on the yard work.

Some people live on boats around that size, living on a boat might be less expensive than owning a house. If the Starwind is a lost cause, look around marinas for what hits your fancy and sell the house with the picket fence. There are ladies around who are comfortable on boats.

Welcome aboard, all I can provide is encouragement.
Hold-Fast likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7MileBeach For This Useful Post:
Hold-Fast (07-31-2015)
post #5 of 20 Old 07-30-2015
Daniel - Norsea 27

First of all, Welcome to Sailnet.

Many of us around here have worked hard for all that stuff you said only to realize that the attachment to those things just isn't there. Then there's all the money wasted on things like property taxes, mortgage, and other useless expendatures that only go to making someone else wealthy. There's a lot more to life than just working in a cubicle to make some one else rich while you're stressed out and unhappy.

Enjoy living. You only get one life and no knowing when or where it will end.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhapsody-NS27 For This Useful Post:
Hold-Fast (07-31-2015)
post #6 of 20 Old 07-30-2015
Sea&Stars

I'm starting to explore the sailing world myself. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it, So keep posting.
Hold-Fast and 43N77W like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sea&Stars For This Useful Post:
Hold-Fast (07-31-2015)
post #7 of 20 Old 07-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold-Fast View Post
So I feel somewhat strange.
You will fit right in here.
On the water we feel free.
And no yard work. Just boat work. But if you forget the cosmetic stuff, it is just about being free and messing around in boats. Drinking beer, belching loudly, farting proudly, and not changing your clothes a whole lot, because after all: water is precious.
SHNOOL, Markwesti and Hold-Fast like this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
The Following User Says Thank You to krisscross For This Useful Post:
Hold-Fast (07-31-2015)
post #8 of 20 Old 07-30-2015

For Gods sake Matt, forget about the big truck and forget about that boat out in the desert . You need a bigger boat than 22' anyway . Stick with us mate , the right boat will be here faster than you think .
Sal Paradise and Hold-Fast like this.

Last edited by Markwesti; 07-30-2015 at 09:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Markwesti For This Useful Post:
Hold-Fast (07-31-2015)
post #9 of 20 Old 07-31-2015 Thread Starter
Never Let Go

Thank you for all your help everyone. I know a 22 is very small but Im not moving off of land for about a year and a half.
The Starwind is on a trailer and in fairly good shape. Like it was garaged for a long time. But I'd rather know what I'm doing in Fiberglass boat repair and wood sanding and sealers and wiring and such and mostly sailing! Before I go buy a Tayana 37 or a Catalina 36 or Lord help me a Hans Christian to live on. I really like all you guys info! Thats right...I'm looking more at a practice boat. More of a zen thing really but I tell you if I spend even eight months working on this thing and learning how to sail it I'll be way better off than flying blind and moving right on to the water for sure!
And Ill have some good knowledge in towing and using the Marinas and what not. It would still be super cool just to dump it all and go. Hell Im only sea sick for two weeks then it goes away.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1740.jpg   IMG_1767.jpg   IMG_1764.jpg   IMG_1741.jpg  
post #10 of 20 Old 07-31-2015 Thread Starter
Never Let Go

Well there are the photos. I know I know Its not the Sahara but trust me it's desert enough.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in