Need help/advice sailing from NYC to Marthas Vineyard - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 08-31-2015
Tartan 27' owner

Re: Need help/advice sailing from NYC to Marthas Vineyard

We are all sounding like a bunch of safety weinies.

I say go for it.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 08-31-2015

Send a message via AIM to CLucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
We are all sounding like a bunch of safety weinies.

I say go for it.
Well... keep in mind the original poster is new on this forum and is someone we know nothing about in terms of experience, etc. Nobody has said anything that isn't readily apparent on a chart. The OP asked for opinions presumably because they wanted them and weren't 100% confident about going outside.

I would never tell anyone to go for it without knowing for certain they were up to the task. What's the worst that could happen? There's plenty of sad stories to choose from. So yeah, I'm a safety weenie. Guilty as charged.
CalebD likes this.

s/v Grey Goose
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
post #13 of 21 Old 09-01-2015

Since this is a new boat to the OP, it would not be a good idea to do a real shakedown on the outside, especially because the inlets to the east are notoriousy treacherous in adverse conditions.

Agree with others who have recommended the LIS route for all the reasons stated. I would also recommend staying inside Fishers Island Sound, minding all the rocks along that way until past Watch Hill Passage.

Minding the Eldridge Tide and Pilot book is an absolute necessity, primarily for timing passages, but also for safety in areas like the Race (south of New London).

Also, I would be surprised if the average speed for a Stonehorse 23 is as high as 4kts, especially there is a dinghy under tow, as the current will not always be fair and favorable winds synchronized with favorable currents is wishful thinking. This sounds like an endurance contest even if the weather is perfect. Making it to BI in 4-5 days would be an accomplishment IMHO.

post #14 of 21 Old 09-01-2015
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

I guess I am a safety weinie too - at least for myself. Obviously we have done some challenging passages, but have always weighed the odds. In this case, with a new to me boat I would take the inside passage. If things worked well I might choose the outside passage for the return trip.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.
post #15 of 21 Old 09-01-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

If you can get inside, maybe through Fire Island Inlet (follow a local commercial boat in) into Great South Bay, you can make it out to Gardiner's Bay/Block I. Sound through the Shinnecock Canal. This requires going through Moriches Bay which is notorious for its shoals. I have been through there a number of times with a 3' draft but it needs to be a sunny day with someone up on the bow to spot the sand bars. It's a scenic, interesting trip, going in and around Shelter Island and such but a lot of work. I'd opt for the East River and LI Sound.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-01-2015

That's an ambitious cruise in that timeframe. At 4kts, it must be at least 50 hrs of sailing, probably closer to 75, after tacking/gybing/headwinds/foul current, etc, is my guess. Even 1kt of foul current is going to seriously extend a trip on a 4kt boat. Are you sailing through the night or planning 12 to 15 hour days?

Add me to the chorus of taking the route through the Sound. You could certainly find bad weather and some rough seas over 5 days. You'll need to prepare for a bailout or to be held up. Comes with the territory.

Beautiful time of year for that trip. Crowds are down after Labor Day. Weather is usually warm during the day and cooler at night and the breeze is up. However, storms are storms and they are still around.

When are you going to return to NYC? Unfortunately, weather does start to go downhill fast in Sept.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 21 Old 09-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
If you can get inside, maybe through Fire Island Inlet (follow a local commercial boat in) into Great South Bay, you can make it out to Gardiner's Bay/Block I. Sound through the Shinnecock Canal. This requires going through Moriches Bay which is notorious for its shoals. I have been through there a number of times with a 3' draft but it needs to be a sunny day with someone up on the bow to spot the sand bars. It's a scenic, interesting trip, going in and around Shelter Island and such but a lot of work. I'd opt for the East River and LI Sound.
That is a nice route, though chances are it would be a motor job virtually the entire way...

Only problem is, the fixed bridge clearance of only about 21' over the Shinnecock Canal...

:-)

I agree with most others, sounds like LI Sound is the better way for these folks to go...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 09-01-2015 at 08:55 AM.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
There are 3 problems with the inside-the-barrier-island route. 1.) shallow water, particulary at the east end of Great South Bay and in Moriches Bay. 2.) there are several draw bridges to deal with and the reversing currents can be a challenge for a sailboat if not timed correctly (you will not be able to hold a fair current all the time). 3.) There is a 25' fixed bridge clearance in the Shinnecock canal, requiring you to remove your mast and restep it (assuming the gin poles are still there). Agree with smurphny's conclusion about the scenic part, though.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-01-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Oops. Have only gone that way in powerboats so didn't even think about the clearance.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-01-2015

You are getting good advice to go inside. You should consider at least Moriches and Shinnicock inlets as un-navigatable. Even after rounding Montauk Point, if you are looking for rest or shelter you have to sail to the harbor which is a couple of hours to the west. Then you'll lose another couple of hours going back East when you leave.
If you go inside to, say, Oyster Bay, then Mattituck or Essex Ct., and on the BI. Sail with the current as much as possible. That will be a memorable trip. The outside route will be an endurance ordeal.

Tags
marthas vineyard , nyc , sailing advice

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in