Need help/advice sailing from NYC to Marthas Vineyard - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 08-31-2015 Thread Starter

Exclamation Need help/advice sailing from NYC to Marthas Vineyard

My husband just finished restoring a 1980 23' Crocker Stonehorse. Her relaunch was 1 month ago and we've only really done a 3 hour sail with her. We plan to sail from Sheepshead Bay, New York to Marthas Vineyard next week (yikes!). We plan to do it in 4-5 days with stops on Long Island, Fire Island, Block Island, and Buzzards Bay. If anyone has done this trip I would appreciate any advice. We hope to make 4-5 knots and have charted a decent course but I'm sure there are many things we haven't thought of. Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-31-2015
HANUMAN

Re: Need help/advice sailing from NYC to Marthas Vineyard

That's an confident itinerary you have going on. Nothing wrong with it, but the time frame is not going to allow you much R&R along the way. You might want to spend more than a couple of hours on Block Island

Have you considered going through LI Sound and seeing the sights?

Then again, if you prefer to be underway as much as possible, then I can't fault that. Remember, current is everything and Eldridges is your best friend.

I'm assuming it's not 4-5 days round trip.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
The Following User Says Thank You to RobGallagher For This Useful Post:
Stonehorse (08-31-2015)
post #3 of 21 Old 08-31-2015
Old enough to know better

Well I have no advice to add, other than it being one of the most beautiful small boats to do it in!
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
Stonehorse (08-31-2015)

post #4 of 21 Old 08-31-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Have done that trip many times as have lots of folks here. If you have any particular questions, you'll probably get plenty of feedback. Much to think about as far as planning. Going outside, it's a long stretch with few good options if anything goes wrong. If you can only make 4 knots, you may want to go through the Sound.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
The Following User Says Thank You to smurphny For This Useful Post:
Stonehorse (08-31-2015)
post #5 of 21 Old 08-31-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks to all! Our boat is currently at Sheepshead Bay so given the time frame, we want to get there as quickly as possibly while still enjoying some sights which is why we decided to sail outside. For people who have done the trip going outside, any specific spots you recommend to stop for the night or a few hours? Is it better to go through Great South Bay and call for the drawbridge or will that take too much time? Our goal is to leave NY early Monday morning and hopefully get to MV by Friday afternoon (yes 5 days one way).
post #6 of 21 Old 08-31-2015

Dock

Very ambitious sail. Are you certain that the outside route is actually that much faster? If you time your trip properly with the tidal current, a sail up the East River and through the Hell gate will get a tremendous boost in speed. Similarly at the East End you can get a big push from the current. Of course, if you time it wrong the current is a problem. Given that you are pretty close to Narrows at the start of that trip, I would consider the Sound. If unforeseen problems arise, the route through the Sound gives you many more options.
The Following User Says Thank You to tweitz For This Useful Post:
Stonehorse (08-31-2015)
post #7 of 21 Old 08-31-2015

Hey,

From Sheepshead bay I would definitely go up the east river and then through the sound.

If you go in the ocean there are VERY few places too stop. It can be difficult to get into great south bay and then you need to be back into the ocean to continue past Montauk.

In the sound there are LOTS of harbors to stop on, on both sides. There wont be big waves (unless the wind is from the east).

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
Stonehorse (08-31-2015)
post #8 of 21 Old 08-31-2015
Tartan 27' owner

All of the south shore of LI inlets (Shinnecock, Fire Island, Jones etc) are pretty tricky and potentially dangerous if you hit them at the wrong tide. Local knowledge is strongly advised before tackling any of these inlets. Your first "safe" harbor will be Montauk harbor which is about 120 miles or so, or perhaps 2 full days (and nights) sailing, if sailing east on the outside. You don't have to take my word on this either as you can download coastal pilot #2 which covers these inlets:
http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/cpdownload.htm

I am not saying "it can't be done". I am saying that for my first time making a trip like this I would prefer going through the LI Sound where safe anchorages are abundant. The trip up the East River is a blast when the current is with you.

Your life, your boat, your call.
Sal Paradise likes this.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
Sal Paradise (08-31-2015)
post #9 of 21 Old 08-31-2015

The sound has some of the most delightful sailing around. September is a beautiful time, cooler weather, nice breeze, deep water, and lots of places to take a break.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-31-2015

Send a message via AIM to CLucas

From Sheepshead Bay, you're not going to lose any time by taking the inside route. On the plus side, you'll have dozens of options on both sides of LIS for protected harbors, mooring fields and anchorages to choose from. Few options going on the outside, and some of those can be tricky depending on the tide (and weather). Going inside also gives you access to plenty of support services and shelter should things not go as planned. Have you and your husband done a trip of this duration before?

s/v Grey Goose
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~

Tags
marthas vineyard , nyc , sailing advice

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in