Qutting our jobs to go sailing is a good idea, right? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 Old 09-02-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Qutting our jobs to go sailing is a good idea, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
never too late to start, get a welder and some SS rods and get practicing, not sure if its just me but i find stainless easier to weld than regular metals.
I'm a refrigeration mechanic so im sure id be able to find work in the carribean if i decided to retire early im 32 (i actually had to google and age calculator to remember my age haha)
COME ON DOWN. Your first job? Fixing my fridge. I pay in beer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We quit our jobs to go sailing for a year or two on a boat we bought sight unseen. What could go wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 09-02-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNever View Post
Thanks for the thoughts, Brent. We've taken a lot of this kind of wisdom from our elders to heart when making this decision.

As for the last statement, sometimes I wish I had learned to weld skillfully. My guess is that if a man can weld a perfect bead on stainless tubing, he's got a job anywhere, anytime.
If you go to welding school, stick welding will be 95 % practice ( hand- eye co-ordination) and 5% theory, which you can get in the library. Get access to a buzz box , a pile of scrap, and a box of rods ,and teach yourself. I have rigged a 100 amp alternator for welding, with which I have built everything from anchor winches , to wood stoves to windvanes , in my cockpit, while at anchor. I have been turning down a lot of such work lately, to maximize my play time.

There are huge shortages looming, of people who can do this kind of work, and will be, for the forseeable future.
mbianka likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 09-02-2015 at 07:45 PM.
post #33 of 52 Old 09-03-2015

There are no guarantees in life especially in today's global workplace. I quit full time work at 45 and did freelance until last year. Had time for living/sailing and did not dip into savings too much. Then the work dried up last year. Was no longer suitable for full time work anyway. The phone stopped ringing but, I was ready to retire at that point anyway. I had a good run of 15 years in semi-retirement. No regrets.

Back around 2005 I jumped on a freighter as a passenger in my early fifties for a 20 day trip. The other passengers were an older couple early 70's and a fellow in his early sixties. I remember the single fellow saying "Everything was fine until I hit 60." I felt healthy and alive and brushed that off. Well I just turned 60 and suddenly aches and pains seem to come out of nowhere. Had a pinched nerve in the arm that was painful and had me questioning how I would do single handling. That went away as mysteriously as it arrived. Within in the past two weeks it was a hip pain on one side that had me hobbling around in the morning but, cleared up by mid day. WTF! That seems to be going away now too. At the same time my wanderlust is fading because I have already cruised in many parts of the world and find I am just as content in my local waters. So I don't have really any regrets at this point. Still have a few bucket list items though. Though I'm not chomping at the bit like in my younger days. Still, I always take heed the words of a friends elderly Uncle who said "Son, do it while you got the legs."
MikeOReilly and joyinPNW like this.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 09-03-2015 at 08:46 AM.

post #34 of 52 Old 09-03-2015
Banned

I just hear part of a speech by Obama, in which he mentioned his staff asking him if he had a bucket list.
He replied
"I have a list which rhymes with bucket!"
post #35 of 52 Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
There are no guarantees in life especially in today's global workplace. I quit full time work at 45 and did freelance until last year. Had time for living/sailing and did not dip into savings too much. Then the work dried up last year. Was no longer suitable for full time work anyway. The phone stopped ringing but, I was ready to retire at that point anyway. I had a good run of 15 years in semi-retirement. No regrets.

Back around 2005 I jumped on a freighter as a passenger in my early fifties for a 20 day trip. The other passengers were an older couple early 70's and a fellow in his early sixties. I remember the single fellow saying "Everything was fine until I hit 60." I felt healthy and alive and brushed that off. Well I just turned 60 and suddenly aches and pains seem to come out of nowhere. Had a pinched nerve in the arm that was painful and had me questioning how I would do single handling. That went away as mysteriously as it arrived. Within in the past two weeks it was a hip pain on one side that had me hobbling around in the morning but, cleared up by mid day. WTF! That seems to be going away now too. At the same time my wanderlust is fading because I have already cruised in many parts of the world and find I am just as content in my local waters. So I don't have really any regrets at this point. Still have a few bucket list items though. Though I'm not chomping at the bit like in my younger days. Still, I always take heed the words of a friends elderly Uncle who said "Son, do it while you got the legs."
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your thoughts. This is what I've seen in my dad. He's in relatively great health for a 75 year old, but bits and pieces of him hurt at odd times and as you put it, the wanderlust has dried up. I get the impression that if it's ever gonna happen, it's gonna have to happen now.
mbianka likes this.

We quit our jobs to go sailing for a year or two on a boat we bought sight unseen. What could go wrong?
post #36 of 52 Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
If you go to welding school, stick welding will be 95 % practice ( hand- eye co-ordination) and 5% theory, which you can get in the library. Get access to a buzz box , a pile of scrap, and a box of rods ,and teach yourself. I have rigged a 100 amp alternator for welding, with which I have built everything from anchor winches , to wood stoves to windvanes , in my cockpit, while at anchor. I have been turning down a lot of such work lately, to maximize my play time.

There are huge shortages looming, of people who can do this kind of work, and will be, for the forseeable future.
I once bought a Hobie 16 with a trailer that needed a new axle. I bought the axle online for $100, but had to mount the brackets onto the axle myself. I figured I could either pay a welder another hundred to do it, or I could pay about the same for a cheap welder from Harbor Freight. Did the latter, had a blast learning, gave myself a wicked "sun" burn (goggles- not mask), only set fire to my pants once, and the axle never fell off the trailer after 3000+ miles of driving. Really would like to learn more at some point.

You have any instruction for how to rig up a welder off an alternator?

post #37 of 52 Old 09-04-2015

Get on with the dream, I can tell you I had a pretty good kick at the can, Did the build ,the sail, and bought a stable of rentals with the money people gave me to go sailing. World is changing quick and no sure thing. Enjoyed a life of being the best, strongest smartest quickest guy around but a couple of unexpected heart failures and an accident or two changes the zest pretty quick. As I drag my plastic lung and bag of pills to exotic locals I have few regrets. Hope you'll be able to say the same. At 73 the aches and pains are a way of keeping score as I mix the concrete for my latest project
Bob142 likes this.
post #38 of 52 Old 09-04-2015
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

My fiancee and I aren't far from you two, hoping to have Redemption ready for after our wedding in June next year. Then it's south bound and down to clear water. Hope to see you guys down there one day.

Really enjoyed the website too, I'm in! I like reading websites of people close to our age as it gives me motivation and inspiration to keep on keeping on.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
post #39 of 52 Old 09-04-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I have, and continue to agonize over this.

There are two things that stop me from putting the house up for sale and giving my employer the "V" sign:

What will I do for health care?
Since I'll stop contributing to my retirement funds, how will I live when I'm too old and broken to live aboard a sailboat any longer?

I've already had colon cancer when I was 36 years old, so saying "It'll never happen to me!" isn't an option. Health insurance is important.
Being 85+ years old when I finally swallow the anchor, and having no home and no money to buy or support any kind of home, means I'll end up being a burden on society. My conscience just won't let me do that. I'll have my military pension but that's just won't be enough to get by on, 40 years down the road.

Every time I talk to a couple who casts off their shackles and does this, they tell me that they simply don't have answers to these two questions.
Those are great points and things everyone thinking of escaping while still young and healthy need to think about. But, it can be done with a little planning. You need to work enough to fund your Social Security account so you have that later on. You can plan how long you "retire early." That's exactly what I did, not sailing but skiing. I gotta tell ya, I wouldn't trade those years for anything. You don't need to trudge through thirty years of sitting at a freakin' desk or worse, in a cubicle. You can get a "real job" (as we used to call it) later. Plenty of time. You only live once.

Learn how to do things for yourself so you can stay out of debt/slavery. Don't just go along on the insane, soul-stealing hamster wheel that our insane society want you on. Go for it.
MikeOReilly and mbianka like this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #40 of 52 Old 09-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Get on with the dream, I can tell you I had a pretty good kick at the can, Did the build ,the sail, and bought a stable of rentals with the money people gave me to go sailing. World is changing quick and no sure thing. Enjoyed a life of being the best, strongest smartest quickest guy around but a couple of unexpected heart failures and an accident or two changes the zest pretty quick. As I drag my plastic lung and bag of pills to exotic locals I have few regrets. Hope you'll be able to say the same. At 73 the aches and pains are a way of keeping score as I mix the concrete for my latest project
Jerry & I will have a mix that is easier on your limbs...Temptation ready to be anchored in Ko Jum. When do you arrive so we can work on fixing whatever is ailing you? I'm sure we will have some spare sika, bailing wire and maybe some pine pitch to put you back together again!

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in