Hello Pearson P 30 with Electric Yacht motor checking in - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 12-15-2015

Re: Hello Pearson P 30 with Electric Yacht motor checking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I'm still very happy with my AGM 8A4D bank. I'm still not convinced I should convert to Lithium Ion with it's complexity in charging and $$$. The older I get the less sense it makes to switch.
You've got my vote on that. I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would spend that much $$ for batteries. I understand the "benefits" but I'm not drinking the cool aid.

The other thing using AGM's or flooded, weight wise it helps to keep the boat in "trim" when compared to the weight of a ICM & a tank full of fuel.

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 12-15-2015

Watching the recent news with the "hover boards" bursting into flames kind of makes one wonder about installing a bank of these batteries in the boat that might be the only thing standing between me and a whole lot of water. I'm sure they could be made safe and reliable but it's not something to be taken lightly, IMHO.
post #33 of 41 Old 12-15-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebourg View Post
Watching the recent news with the "hover boards" bursting into flames kind of makes one wonder about installing a bank of these batteries in the boat that might be the only thing standing between me and a whole lot of water. I'm sure they could be made safe and reliable but it's not something to be taken lightly, IMHO.
This is something I have brought up in the past, but people seem to think somehow Lithium Ion can be made safe. I am sure the better batteries are safer than the cheap Chinese batteries that have been catching on fire. But it has happened to Dell and other computer makers as well. Issue is that once it starts to burn it is very hard to put out. They need very careful management including temperature sensors and sophisticated electronics. Not very DIY friendly.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

post #34 of 41 Old 12-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
You've got my vote on that. I just can't wrap my head around why anyone would spend that much $$ for batteries. I understand the "benefits" but I'm not drinking the cool aid.

The other thing using AGM's or flooded, weight wise it helps to keep the boat in "trim" when compared to the weight of a ICM & a tank full of fuel.
Indeed when I installed my EP system the total weight of it including the AGM batteries was about 100 pounds lighter than having the Westerbeke diesel. That's not including all the diesel fuel I removed. Since I built my battery platform over the engine stringers the boat was still trimmed nicely. I also was able to remove a whole bunch of hoses, wiring, hydro hush muffler and engine control cables. Also spare quarts of oil and antifreeze, associated containers, engine and parts manuals. Which lightened it even more.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying some Fall sailing while it lasts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 41 Old 01-04-2016 Thread Starter

Finally an update on the P.
Currently the mast is off the boat as I repair the compression post.

The prop is 3 blades and covered with growth.
It will be cleaned this week and new profomance data compiled.

Will update again soon

Pearson P 30 with Electric Yacht 10 kw system.
Just a big ol golf cart

post #36 of 41 Old 01-04-2016
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
This is something I have brought up in the past, but people seem to think somehow Lithium Ion can be made safe. I am sure the better batteries are safer than the cheap Chinese batteries that have been catching on fire. But it has happened to Dell and other computer makers as well. Issue is that once it starts to burn it is very hard to put out. They need very careful management including temperature sensors and sophisticated electronics. Not very DIY friendly.
So far, anything that stores energy in density is pretty volatile if used incorreclty. Be it plutonium, gasoline, diesel or lithium ion batteries.

21 months of DAILY charging and discharging.... My Nissan leaf has failed to burst into flames or explode... so far...I'll keep ya'll posted.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #37 of 41 Old 01-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape plan View Post
Finally an update on the P.
Currently the mast is off the boat as I repair the compression post.

The prop is 3 blades and covered with growth.
It will be cleaned this week and new profomance data compiled.

Will update again soon
After many years of scrapping finally found an easy way of cleaning the prop before launching you may find helpful:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: SPRING CLEANING: PROP

Mike
Currently: Enjoying some Fall sailing while it lasts

post #38 of 41 Old 01-05-2016
Sea Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
21 months of DAILY charging and discharging.... My Nissan leaf has failed to burst into flames or explode... so far...I'll keep ya'll posted.
There is a big difference. When in a car, you can let gases out under the car. That's hard to do on a boat. And you have better cooling under a car, then inside a hull.

And if a car starts burning while driving, you can stop, and get out. Well, you could do that on a boat as well, but...

And there is these articles (sorry about the norwegian): TESLA-FIRE - Carwreck and charger station to be examined

Last edited by finnarne; 01-06-2016 at 03:16 AM.
post #39 of 41 Old 01-05-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
So far, anything that stores energy in density is pretty volatile if used incorreclty. Be it plutonium, gasoline, diesel or lithium ion batteries.

How about the BILLIONS of Li batteries in tablets, laptops, smart phones, cordless tools etc. etc. etc.. The failure rate, vs. the sheer number of Li batteries in use today is pretty infinitesimal. Between our house & barn/shop we have well over 40 Li batteries....

16+ Li Cordless Tool Batteries (Porter Cable, Ryobi & Milwaukee)
4 Li Tablets
3 Li Smart Phones
7 Li Laptop Batteries
6 Home Phone Li Batteries
4 Li batteries for boats in my shop
5 Li Remote Control "RC" Hobby Batteries

and I know I have left a bunch out....

ZERO ISSUES

Heck Tesla sold 17,000 cars last quarter alone, the Chevy volt is now over 100,000 and the Leaf I believe is now over 200,000. Dangerous failure rates based on those numbers have a . then a lot of zeros in front of it. More people die in bathtubs than have died from Li batteries. Should we curtail the use of bath tubs....?

I have had LiFePO4 on board for 4.5 years now (approaching 750 cycles most to 80% DOD) and I consider my LFP system far safer than any lead acid battery system I have ever used or installed on a boat because of all the redundant protection systems that prevent the battery from getting over charged or over discharged.......

The vast number of deaths attributed to Li batteries are kids swallowing Li "button batteries", about the same size as a nickle. Clearly we need to stop using nickles...

It seems everyone wants to compare LiFePo4 (what is being used on boats) to the Boeing incident, which occurred with a very high strung Li chemistry (LiCoO2), and that is like comparing the properties of cow dung to gasoline.

Imagine if glass or electricity were invented today. Neither would ever be allowed with today's level of thinking... Think about it, really...

We need to remember that ALL batteries can be dangerous!

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-05-2016 at 08:27 AM.
post #40 of 41 Old 01-16-2016 Thread Starter

New profomance data on 30 foot Pearson with electric yacht 10 kw system.

Speed. Knots * * * * * RPM. * * * * *Amps. * * L mrtTemp

2.5. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *774. * * * * * *7. * * * * * * * * 78

3. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *1079. * * * *17. * * * * * * * 80

3.8. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 1305. * * * *28. * * * * * * *80

4..3. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 1505. * * * 42. * * * * * * *84

4.9. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *1754. * * * 64. * * * * * * *86

5.4. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 1926. * * * *90. * * * * * * 93

5.8. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *2115. * * * * 122. * * * * *100

5.9. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *2193. * * * * * 141. * * * * 107

Conditions light wind little tidal movement.
Clean prop and clean hull.
Quite an improvement.
MedSailor and misfits like this.

Pearson P 30 with Electric Yacht 10 kw system.
Just a big ol golf cart

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in