Old guy, new Sailor new Obsession - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steelhands
  • 1 Post By Steelhands

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-23-2016 Thread Starter

Old guy, new Sailor new Obsession

I just started sailing a month or so ago after a lifetime of small power boat ownership. Its funny, most of my life I have avoided ever playing golf because I was concerned Id get all obsessive about it like some of my friends. I already had plenty of expensive hobbies.

But I accidentally tripped over sailing and have fallen and cant get up! My wife and I wound up in San Diego while touring the country in our RV. I noticed a Groupon add for a basic keelboard class for $150. Id been reading all these English sea battle books, Nelson, Hornblower, etc. and decided to see how all that sail business really worked.

As a former adult ed instructor, I was very much disappointed in the two-day class but completely blown away by how much fun it was and what a real challenge it is. It seems a door has opened, having the feeling of the tiller thrumming in my hand, the wind acting as a friend and force, altogether its a sensation that is somehow in sync with the true me. It is a meditation I have sought my whole life.

Ive put in about 50 skipper hours in 4 weeks, with the Capri 22 here on Mission Bay and out in the big BAY. (Ill tell you the story of newbie me, with a US Navy destroyer up my stern much closer than I liked!)

I have bugged my wife so much than now I am afraid to even use the S word. I need now to just quietly slide along, renting where I can and taking the 103 class in the next few weeks.

When the wind puffs in my face in the parking lot of Target, I ask myself, Hmm, where is that coming from and how strong is it? lol
If you like, Ill post more adventures of a sail addict in the early stages.

Fair winds,
Steelhands
sharkbait likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-23-2016

Re: Old guy, new Sailor new Obsession

I know the feeling. I am new to sailing as of the first of this year. We bought a Com-Pac 27 and closed new years day. We had never sailed, but I had done a ton of reading. We are 1.5 hours from the boat, but go almost every weekend. I got lucky and the wife enjoys it also. We still feel out of place a bit, but it's getting better.

Good luck to you and maybe with more luck the wife will want a boat too.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-23-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks. Actually, I am very fortunate that my wife does want a boat, just not now while we are traveling, which makes sense. Even I have to agree that we need a home before a boat. In the meantime, she likes to sail and is spending a good amount of her (our) money for me to learn and sail some nice boats here in San Diego. I count my blessings there, for sure.

My goal here is to just complete 103 and maybe get more hours near shore.
jmiller248 likes this.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-23-2016

Awesome, Steelhands! Like you, I also 'tripped over' sailing by accident. I needed a place to sleep temporarily in Los Angeles, and six years later, I still have the boat and Sail her (and maintain her) regularly. My advice to you, to speed up the learning curve, is to go the the nearest Yacht Club (or go to their site) and find out when the regattas are and how to get in touch with captains needing crew. Racing will teach you everything you need to get going, minus anchoring. You will also learn about what type of boat suits you. I recommend looking for Cruiser Class races. The PHRF class boats aren't as comfortable. All it usually costs is a 12 pack of beer.
Edit: When are are new on a racing crew, you will be positioned on the windward rail, known as "rail Meat". You will be surprised by how much you can learn talking to other sailors on the deck.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR

Last edited by rbrasi; 02-23-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in