Newbie looking for advice. - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 03-04-2016 Thread Starter

Newbie looking for advice.

Hello, I have decided to retire at 57 and sail the Caribbean for the next 10 years or so. So I have 2 years to sell everything that will not fit aboard and find a suitable boat. So as I start to educate myself I find there are more sailboats for sale than used cars. I see myself settling in on something around 40' to 45' or so. I see Hunters for sale everywhere followed by many Beneteaus. We are not going to cross the ocean just play around in the Caribbean. All impute welcome on the above two manufactures as well as others we may want to consider. Sailing experience zero. Extensive motorboat experience. Taking sailing classes the next 2 summers in the great lakes. All impute welcomed. Thank you in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-04-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Newbie looking for advice.

Suggest that you take sailing lessons in the general area that you intend to sail. If your destination is the Caribbean, take lessons there. If the Great Lakes, take lessons there.

There are plenty of threads that compare Hunters and Beneteaus on SailNet, and other forums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old 03-04-2016

Go take a week long live aboard cruising course. Offshore Sailing School runs one in Tortola. You'll not only learn to sail (in fair weather), you'll know if the idea is as good as you think it is.

There are just way too many more choices than the two brands you stumbled across in abundance to feel you were getting good advice just comparing the two. Not to mention, the year and model in each makes a big difference too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 32 Old 03-04-2016

With zero experience, you really need to charter ,or crew or somehow try it out first! Lots of people have found out sailing wasn't their thing and moved on to land yachts!.......Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #5 of 32 Old 03-04-2016

While your extensive motorboating experience will stand you in good stead, it's not the same as sailing. And though many may disagree, jumping into a 45 footer in the tradewinds without experience might even be more than a little dangerous.

But you have plenty of time for research - as already mentioned those two brands are nowhere near the sum total of your choices. Do some reading, on this and other forums, magazines, etc, you may find that you don't really need to go that big (with attendant savings in purchase, maintenance and operating costs) I see there's a 'we' in your intro.. presumably a couple then? Has your SO ever sailed - do you know if there will be anxiety when the boat decides to lean over substantially? Even though it's totally normal some people never get comfortable with it, and indeed can be scared off for life if they don't understand the physics of it all.

Definitely charter, take courses, make friends with others who already sail (go for experienced folks here too) before you take the leap. You may well decide a properly chosen 35-36 feet is all you'll ever need.

And it's often helpful, when asking for suggestions on boats to buy, to include a realistic budget figure - what you can afford will determine the 'right' list for you.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 32 Old 03-04-2016
bell ringer

You need to find out whether you like sailing and being on the boat enough to go down the path. Not saying you need to love boats/sailing, but you can't hate . Of course the only way to know is to do it so. The way I went about it:

- took sailing lessons (on a cruising size boat)
- join a sail club and sailed each weekend for 3 months
- got my first boat, it was a 39' boat, which turned out to be too small for comfort to us, and it was a "name" boat because I had become too influenced be internet forums
- spent 2 years on boat 1 learning what we didn't like about it
- got our current boat, which after 6 years we still like, and it turns out to be Hunter

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #7 of 32 Old 03-04-2016

Dude, whatever you do, don't name your boat S.S.Minnow unless you have Ginger as your crew.

But seriously... great plan. Are you planning to sail alone? If so, 40-45' boat is a bit much IMO, especially if you are new to sailing. In a blow, it is too much boat to handle for one guy. Same goes for docking, anchoring, and other tricky maneuvers. And you do not need such a big boat for one person.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #8 of 32 Old 03-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
..... And you do not need such a big boat for one person.
Or two, IMO.

btw, for context, we've been to 40 feet, currently quite happy with the 2 of us on our current 35 footer - but we only live aboard full time in the summer.

Others, and your MMV..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #9 of 32 Old 03-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Dude, whatever you do, don't name your boat S.S.Minnow unless you have Ginger as your crew.......
Your call, but she's 82 now. She's one of the few from the cast that is still kicking though.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 32 Old 03-05-2016

Looks the part!...I'd stay away for the whole ship wreck thing! Besides that's why your here.....Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!

Last edited by Lake Superior Sailor; 03-05-2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in