In FL looking to buy boat for the ICW - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 03-07-2016 Thread Starter

In FL looking to buy boat for the ICW

Hi all,

I just quit my job and drove to Jacksonville FL. I am looking to buy a boat and travel up the ICW. I will be by myself and need to be as economical as possible. I expect to buy a sailboat in the 23-25 foot range, and spend $3000-$6000. I'm 59 and I've been sailing small boats all my life. I also co-owed a 1982 Catalina 27 in Austin TX (Lake Travis), where I lived for 22 years until... last Saturday. I am an experienced day-sailor, but have little experience cruising.

I am looking for advice on finding a boat. I am in Jacksonville now, and expect to move down the east coast of FL till I find one. I expect to use craiglist ads. Before leaving Austin I did a lot of searching on sailboatlistings.com and will use that also. They have a nice set of filters that enabled me to focus my search. I know people sell boats on eBay, but I've never used eBay before-- never even been on the site.

Since I need to be as thrifty as possible, I expect to buy from a private party, but I may look at brokers also.

I'd be happy to get suggestions about how to find a boat. I am living in my car till I get the boat, so I have a strong incentive not to take too long.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Rob Feeney
Sal Paradise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-07-2016
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: In FL looking to buy boat for the ICW

Welcome to SailNet Rob.

You might try placing a "Looking for" ad with Craigs List. Also search for local boating magazines, most are online I believe and have classified sections. They are usually given out for free in boating stores and at marinas. Another thing to try is a search for clubs in the area. Our predominantly small boat club always has at least one or two for sale per season. Might be worth sending out emails to fleet captains and see what you get. I'm on the Chesapeake and a few of the maritime museums have annual auctions of donated boats. There are deals to be had as they don't want the boats to sit around too long.

Finally, Sea Scouts are always accepting donated small boats, refitting as part of the learning process, and then selling them.

Good luck.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #3 of 43 Old 03-07-2016

You might expand your search up to 30 ft as this is a large section of boats that would work well on the ditch........Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!

post #4 of 43 Old 03-07-2016

I agree with the suggestion to move the size up a bit. I can't imagine spending any significant time living on a 23-25 foot boat. Each foot or two of size will buy you a lot of additional space, especially headroom. Doubt you will find many boats in that price range listed with brokers. Craigslist and sailboatlistings.com are probably the best places to look for what you are looking for. Good luck.
post #5 of 43 Old 03-07-2016
HANUMAN

Lots of of older Catalina, C&C, Pearson, Hunter, Newport etc. 27 - 30 ft boats listed for sale on Craig's for less than 10K and probably very negotiable for a fast sale.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #6 of 43 Old 03-07-2016
Freedom Chip Counter

You're in luck.....I might have just the boat you are looking for and I'm not too much farther South.

Sent a PM....

Best,
doo
uncle stinky bob likes this.
post #7 of 43 Old 03-07-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
You're in luck.....I might have just the boat you are looking for and I'm not too much farther South.

Sent a PM....

Best,
doo
He's too new to be able to receive PMs.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #8 of 43 Old 03-07-2016 Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies!

I loved the Catalina 27 I had and got quite comfortable single-handling it. My reasoning for staying smaller was to keep "cost of ownership" lower (haul-out, re-fitting, ground tackle, bottom jobs, blah blah blah-- read the Pardey's about staying under 30' and took it to heart). And, while I'm a fairly fit 59, I thought if I got in jam, I'd rather deal with a 5000 lb boat than a 10,000 lb boat. I also bought a book called "Anchoring" from Uncle Bob's web site and it's scaring the crap out of me about anchoring. That's an area I don't have much experience in, and I lost quite a few anchors in Lake Travis (near Austin). I don't expect to have a boat big enough to have powered windlass and I'd rather man-handle an anchor for the smaller boat. Before I left Austin it occurred to me that if I actually do this (buy a boat, do the ICW), soon my ability to consistently and successfully set and retrieve an anchor would become a pretty important part of my life.

Also, this is sort of an experiment, a learning experience, and it seemed better to experiment with a smaller, cheaper boat.

But, I do appreciate the feedback!

Rob
krisscross likes this.
post #9 of 43 Old 03-07-2016

Betcha could find a decent Catalina 27 for $5K or less.

Yup, bigger than you asked, but more room/you already know how to run one.
post #10 of 43 Old 03-07-2016
Boat Bum

https://miami.craigslist.org/search/...searchNearby=1

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in