Complete and total 'newbie'... - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Skyeterrier
  • 1 Post By Ajax_MD
  • 1 Post By Rhapsody-NS27

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-13-2016 Thread Starter

Complete and total 'newbie'...

Hello everyone-my name is Solomon.

I am an active-duty Army guy/dad/husband/lubber in WA state who has discovered a (perhaps ill-advised) sailing obsession. The timeline goes something like this:

1. Move to WA state (after never living near significant amounts of water before) and notice all the water.

2. Decide that it would be great to be able to move around on that water. Also notice all the cool boats.

3. Get a couple kayaks and do nothing but that and work all summer for 2 years. Continue to notice the cool boats, especially those with sails.

4. Visit Bremerton and ogle Navy ships. Start devouring historical/naval fiction (Patrick O'Bryan, C.S. Forrester, etc.).

5. Start taking walks at local marinas and browsing craigslist and boat ads for fun.

6. Dream about boat diagrams and components. Wake up in a cold sweat and the realization I need to learn to sail. Start reading manuals, learning about basic boat design and operation, subscribe to sailing mags, lurk on forums, and taking free online 'courses'.

7. Lament the cost in money and time for sailing lessons (Army keeps me on a fairly short leash). Figure it is cheaper to buy a used sailboat and go from there.

8. Buy an old Cal 20 needing 'a little work'. Work on it long enough to realize I am in over my head and repairs will cost 3 times the value of the boat. Sell it for less than I bought it for.

9. Begin to search again for one that is sail-ready. Find my T22. Buy it from an experienced sailor who helps and mentors. Curse the paperwork required for registration and insurance and so on...

10. Sail a few times for short distance on my own. Spend all my free time on the boat. Stop lurking in forums and start posting!

So here I am, hoping to get some advice and eventually contribute in a meaningful way to the discussion.
My Tanzer 22 (Christened the 'H.P. Lovecraft'...get it?) is moored at West Bay Marina (home away from home) in Oly. I have many small fixes to make and such; but she is sweet!
So...pardon my enthusiasm and thanks for having lubbers like me on here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-13-2016

Re: Complete and total 'newbie'...

Hey Solomon!

For me, one of the great things about sailing is that it's an activity that has an almost infinite number of levels, from zipping around on a sailboard or 14 foot Laser in a small lake or near a dock and up to and including racing and crossing oceans. You can find your own level of comfort and enjoyment anywhere in there.

As a military member you should make yourself aware of any MWR marinas or boating facilities near you and if they offer classes or other activities.

skydoc and I are both former military and our first sailing class was an MWR offering at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. I don't remember what it cost but I'm pretty sure it was dirt cheap, we were young junior officers without a ton of income at the time (although also without families or other responsibilities too). That class has been the foundation of everything that has come since.

If you can find people to sail with, particularly with more knowledge and experience than you, whether they come sail with you on your boat or you on theirs, you will learn a ton from them and have fun doing it too.
h011yw00d likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-14-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

I don't envy you discovering this obsession while being on active duty. Hell, I was active duty NAVY and still couldn't get on the water recreationally. "The cobbler's sons have no shoes..." The only time I could get on the water was when we were "haze gray and underway."

It wasn't until civilian life that I had the disposable time to invest in sailing...which is tragic.

Anyway, make the most of it that you can, and best of luck. Not sure if you're a 20 year man or not, but you'll have more play time on the water when you're a civilian. If you really like sailing, don't let go of it.
h011yw00d likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #4 of 6 Old 04-14-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

I'm active duty Army as well with a couple more till retirement. I re-discovered sailing during an R&R trip from a deployment. Took leave the next year after the deployment for lessons, and the year after that, I had myself a boat. I was able to do a little lake sailing but the boat was in need of some work, so now doing a refit.

Welcome to the forum, Solomon. There's plenty of topics to research.

Have fun!
~Dan
h011yw00d likes this.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #5 of 6 Old 04-14-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeterrier View Post
Hey Solomon!

For me, one of the great things about sailing is that it's an activity that has an almost infinite number of levels, from zipping around on a sailboard or 14 foot Laser in a small lake or near a dock and up to and including racing and crossing oceans. You can find your own level of comfort and enjoyment anywhere in there.

As a military member you should make yourself aware of any MWR marinas or boating facilities near you and if they offer classes or other activities.

skydoc and I are both former military and our first sailing class was an MWR offering at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. I don't remember what it cost but I'm pretty sure it was dirt cheap, we were young junior officers without a ton of income at the time (although also without families or other responsibilities too). That class has been the foundation of everything that has come since.

If you can find people to sail with, particularly with more knowledge and experience than you, whether they come sail with you on your boat or you on theirs, you will learn a ton from them and have fun doing it too.
Thanks for the welcome! There is a small marina on post but no sailing-related offerings...did get the boater safety card for free though! I have found good instruction off post and will make the most of it.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 Old 04-14-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I don't envy you discovering this obsession while being on active duty. Hell, I was active duty NAVY and still couldn't get on the water recreationally. "The cobbler's sons have no shoes..." The only time I could get on the water was when we were "haze gray and underway."

It wasn't until civilian life that I had the disposable time to invest in sailing...which is tragic.

Anyway, make the most of it that you can, and best of luck. Not sure if you're a 20 year man or not, but you'll have more play time on the water when you're a civilian. If you really like sailing, don't let go of it.
Thank you as well! I have 7 more years to go to make that 20.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in