Hello from Connie - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Connie Hair-Breedlove

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-24-2016 Thread Starter

Hello from Connie

I am a new member. We just purchased our 7th boat - a 1972 Cal 25. Interested in connecting with other Cal owners - especially those with the old flat top / pop top models. We cannot figure out the pop top - plus it is quite broken. Would be interested to see pictures / vids of how it works so we can begin the repair process. Thanks a bunch for any / all help!!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-24-2016

Re: Hello from Connie

Welcome aboard! Cal's are good boats you're lucky to have one! Let me know if I can help....Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #3 of 7 Old 04-25-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Welcome aboard! Cal's are good boats you're lucky to have one! Let me know if I can help....Dale
Thanks Dale. We used to own a Cal 28 as well - the 25 seems to have a lot of the same characteristics. The pop top is our big issue. We do not know how it works and it is broken in so many places, we can't even figure it out. Wish we could find good photos / video of the set up to see the original hardware and bow placement and how to raise/lower it without breaking it to pieces.

Connie

post #4 of 7 Old 04-25-2016

Welcome, Connie.

Have you tried a Google search(es) on the topic? Unless there is an owners association Google is usually a sure bet to find stuff, although you may have to wade through a lot of hits.

We had a pop top on our Catalina 25, two struts per side and it lifted up and was supported by a fitting that slid in the track on the back of the mast. Seems to be what most pop tops have.

Good luck.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
post #5 of 7 Old 04-25-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Welcome, Connie.

Have you tried a Google search(es) on the topic? Unless there is an owners association Google is usually a sure bet to find stuff, although you may have to wade through a lot of hits.

We had a pop top on our Catalina 25, two struts per side and it lifted up and was supported by a fitting that slid in the track on the back of the mast. Seems to be what most pop tops have.

Good luck.
Yes, sure have. There are very few photos of the pop top up close. I've watched videos of Cal 25's for sale as well "just in case". Our friend had a Cat 25 - he said it is substantially different from the Cal 25 pop top. Unfortunately the Cal 25 Owners Assn forum does not appear to be active. I even sent a note to their webmaster asking for information. No joy. :-(
post #6 of 7 Old 04-25-2016

Hi Connie,

Cal 2-25 owner here, so unfortunately I won't be much help on your pop-top issue. At 5'11" the non-popping companionway hatch, (even while closed) is the one interior place I can stand fully erect on my boat. I guess that was one of the design changes they made between the two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2016

Here's Sailing Texas Cal 25 Gallery might be a picture in here somewhere...

Cal 25 Sailboat Photo Gallery

Here's another ...

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/208/1...4/IMG_9151.jpg

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in