Haven't sailed in 20 years - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 06-18-2016

Re: Haven't sailed in 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones92 View Post
Also, I get the suspicion that there are a number of sailboats that you just won't find for sale online.
Ask around. Some one was advertising on a Facebook page for a 23 foot Compac, and I commented that it was nice but what I really wanted was a West Wight Potter 19. Somebody came on and said they knew of someone. Turned out that it was a guy I ate dinner with at a pot luck twice a month. I didn't even know he was selling it, and he wasn't advertising anymore.

Same thing with an outboard. Turned out that someone was selling one at my club, but never mentioned it because it was in their garage unused for the last 7 years because after they bought it it wouldn't lift out of the water on their boat, and the dealer wouldn't take it back. They even forgot they had it in their garage.
nowiscertain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 06-18-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowiscertain View Post
Oh, and capta, any helpful hints on living aboard? I've not spent more than a few months aboard.

Here's a question, should I replace the ice box (w its own refrigeration) with one of those mini refrigerator/freezer? Also, how's you TV reception? Do you get satellite?
I believe the Coronado would make a good liveaboard, but probably not the boat you'd want to circumnavigate on.
Tips for living aboard? Find a marina that isn't run by a tyrant. Some don't even allow laundry drying, some make you dock bow in, etc.
As for a fridge, live with what you've got and make your decision after a few months. That's pretty much true of everything except the safety issues. Live with what you've got until you have a definite idea of what needs changing. A handheld VHF is what I meant. An electric windlass is an absolute must in my book. No way you can pull your anchor by hand or with a manual one at 60' a minute if you are in a bind. I've seen it time and time again where folks are trying to pick up their gear with a manual windlass or by hand, and they are being blown all over the anchorage with the anchor still far from the surface. Installation is a breeze. If you get a freefall windlass all you need is two wires from the battery, a solenoid and a switch.
TV? What's that? No, no sat TV. Haven't seen TV outside of a bar in 5 years, but my kid sends dvd's or jump drives with shows and fliks on them once in a while.
Can't help you with SoCal suppliers. Haven't been anywhere near there since 1976. We are in the Caribbean. It might be cheaper to rebuild the bed to a standard mattress than order a custom mattress. The PO said this one cost over a grand!
Have fun.
nowiscertain likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 06-18-2016 at 05:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
nowiscertain (06-19-2016)
post #23 of 27 Old 06-19-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
For $25K the center cockpit boats will either be on the ugly side or in need of lots of work. Not sure why you want a cc boat, as it seriously limits your choices. You can add Chris-Craft 35 to your search list.
CARIBBEAN 35 (CHRIS-CRAFT) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Hey KrissCross, I started looking at everything in a large size range and over the months I've probably been on 60+ different boats, and looked at pics of dozens and dozens more. And gradually I narrowed it down to what I want, a cc boat of 35-41 foot. I onow it limits options, but I have to narrow it doqn to just one eventually. I'd be happy w an aft cockpit craft, but I prefer the cc and aft cabin. I really liked the Irwin 37 very much in one config, that w the galley aft of the saloon, but I've only seen one set up that way for sale anywhere in the US from which shipping would not be prohibitively expensive. I also liked what I saw of an S2, but couldn't get on one myself. I hope that the Coronado will be ample boat for So. Cal, and then I'll move up when it's time for me to leave the nest in a few years.

Brin - 1973 Coronado 35' Center Cockpit
For my living and cruising pleasure.

post #24 of 27 Old 09-06-2016

Hi nowiscertain,

I ended up buying this boat you orginially posted about. I am not a bot. Is there anyway I can contact you to ask you some questions? You gave the owner permission to keep the survey; I can prove I own it buy giving out your name and the owner's name (I will do this though in a private message, for the sake of not putting your info on the internet). I would really appreciate your help with me getting in contact with you. I'll make sure to check back on here to review any forum replies.

Thanks for your help

- east4
post #25 of 27 Old 09-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones92 View Post
I'm fairly new at the whole business of buying sailboats, but I have learned that persistence and casting a wide net can make all the difference. Patience and diligence can pay off in a great deal. Also, I get the suspicion that there are a number of sailboats that you just won't find for sale online. I suspect that visiting marinas may pay off with a good deal that you snap up before someone else does.

Good luck!
Useful tip! Thank you. I am just starting my sailing experience again and look to find more relevant info through this forum. Thanks!
post #26 of 27 Old 09-09-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

your coronado 32-41 center cockpit sloops will get you from cali all the way south and thru canal and mebbe even around west caribbean and omy the caribbean islands--mebbe even up to maine and ....
a boat is only as good as its sailor. a boat can be modified to suit the sailor.
they do have a stout hull. coronado 34 was of olympian 34 molds by hank mckune. stout boat. the others-- different designers. as you figger out sailing, you will figgerout what makes you happiest and keep to that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #27 of 27 Old 09-09-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

your coronado 32-41 center cockpit sloops will get you from cali all the way south and thru canal and mebbe even around west caribbean and omy the caribbean islands--mebbe even up to maine and ....
a boat is only as good as its sailor. a boat can be modified to suit the sailor.
they do have a stout hull. coronado 34 was of olympian 34 molds by hank mckune. stout boat. the others-- different designers. as you figger out sailing, you will figgerout what makes you happiest and keep to that. never rule something out just because it is unpopular--learn why they are not so popular, an d ask questions. it may be the best boat for the job.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in