Hello all! New to sailing, but absolutely in love - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-16-2016 Thread Starter

Hello all! New to sailing, but absolutely in love

Hi all!

I spent years of sitting in harbors and watching the boats come in, reading up on sailing, and feeding an utter fascination with sailing. I finally got out on the water after some friends chartered a sailboat for a night and confirmed an absolute love!

I don't own a boat yet, but maybe in the next couple of years. I would love to learn more and recently moving out to Chicago, I feel I'm in a place where I can. Unfortunately I am a grad student, so I'm saving capital so that I can take a class maybe next year.

Looking forward to learning more, hearing stories, and would appreciate any and all advice about entering this beautiful world of sailing!
Zarathu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-16-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Re: Hello all! New to sailing, but absolutely in love

Go for it! I have a love for sailing that has lasted my entire life. Wife, children and now grandchildren all share it with me. Hope that you find joy, peace, excitement, challenge, … what ever your path sets in front of you. Good Luck!! My advice: Hang out at the harbor and meet people. Develop a sence of who you can trust. Go sailing a lot.

Last edited by Scotty C-M; 06-16-2016 at 11:28 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-16-2016

In some ways it can be everything you ever hoped for. In other ways, you will curse the day that you ever bought the boat. Try to find a mooring outside of Chicago, your need a big outboard and 30 minutes just to find your way out of the Marina.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-16-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Welcome to SailNet.

You might try an internet search for local sailing clubs or sailing associations. These are usually inexpensive ways to get onto boats and learn.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-16-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Welcome! Rather than take a class, perhaps you can join a club that is active in sailing and save that money for when you buy a boat (you're gonna need all of it and more). A good club, with experienced sailors and lots of opportunities to get on the water, is a bigger bang for the buck than a weekend class or two. You'll also see what you might like and won't like in a boat of your own. Have fun
post #6 of 12 Old 06-16-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

OK - here's an old one:

Do you want to know if you'll like to sail? Put on your best (and most expensive) clothes and fill the pockets with $100 bills. Step into the shower with the water on cold, and have your significant other throw salt on you. Take out the $100 bills and tear them into little pieces and watch them go down the drain. If you like this, you'll like sailing!

^..^..^..^..^..^..^..^..
Zarathu likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
OK - here's an old one:

Do you want to know if you'll like to sail? Put on your best (and most expensive) clothes and fill the pockets with $100 bills. Step into the shower with the water on cold, and have your significant other throw salt on you. Take out the $100 bills and tear them into little pieces and watch them go down the drain. If you like this, you'll like sailing!
:
I hate that. But its too real. Pray that your first year turns out to be nothing but fun, because if its not, you will always be looking for the ways that things can go down hill fast and you can once again be scared crapless.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-17-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
OK - here's an old one:

^..^..^..^..^..^..^..^..
With only slight edits--change it to $1000 bills, add "with all your clothes on, in the dark"-- you'll have the simulator for offshore sailboat racing!
post #9 of 12 Old 06-17-2016
Master Mariner

Walk the docks of the marinas and yacht clubs in your area in your spare time (like a grad student has so much of that, lol). Offer to help folks wash their boat, fold sails or whatever and you'll be out on the water and getting a better education than money could buy, sooner than you thought. Sail with as many skippers and on as many boats as you can. Every skipper has his/her own way of doing things, but generally none is more correct than the other, just different. Every boat is different and has certain features that make it better for each owner's needs. Once you understand these differences, it will be easier for you to choose the boat that suits YOUR needs, when the time comes to buy one.
Don't listen to those grouches above. Our boat is our home, transportation and our income. If next season is as good as this season, our boat will be putting quite a few of those $100.00 bills into our pockets to get wet in that proverbial shower, after expenses. This year it bought itself a new mainsail, and not some overseas cheapo either.
Good luck.
Tanski and tag_wolverine like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 12 Old 06-18-2016

Can't add much to what Capta said.
I don't know why some people sail, sounds like they hate everything about it.
Great sport and not much more expensive than most other "adult" pass times.
I can easily spend more on a one week Whistler ski trip than I do for an entire seasons sailing. Some years you have more expenses than others.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in