Sailor from Long Island - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 Old 07-20-2016

Re: Sailor from Long Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
NIne days is ambitious. You will be going a lot of sailing (or motoring) and not a lot of time spent enjoying the harbors you visit. I have been cruising the water of Long Island Sound and southern New England for almost 40 years. As I gotten older (and hopefully wiser) I have decided that taking it more leisurely is what I enjoy. Spend a few days in a place I like (like Block Island or Watch Hill) and make short hops especially when the wind and weather are not cooperating.

If you only have 9 days, consider at hop out to Montauk, then spend some time exploring places like Block Island, Shelter Island and Newport, and then head home.
This is spot on advice... you're talking probably 300 miles for the total journey without tacking and entering and exiting harbors... If you sail 6 days... that's 50 per day... and at average 4 knots that's 12 hrs each leg and that only leave 3 days ashore. Cruising is not just sailing... but enjoying the destinations... and there is some nice stuff on LIS to see.
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
Goodwind90 (07-21-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 Old 07-20-2016

Hey,

I agree with the other guys. For a week, your plans are too ambitious. I think that sailing to Block is a good destination. I would then head west and check out Garndiners bay - orient, Greenport, Montauk, Shelter island, etc.

A few comments - Don't stay at Orient By The Sea - it's too small. In greenport, I've stayed at Townsend Manor and it was great. I've also stayed at Montauk Yacht Club - great place but expensive.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
Goodwind90 (07-21-2016)
post #13 of 49 Old 07-22-2016 Thread Starter

Sander0, JimsCaL, and BarryL, I cannot thank you guys enough for the helpful advice! This is exactly why I joined and posted- to get valuable insight from experienced cruisers. Considering your advice, I have decided to taper back my plans a bit and save the NYC part for next year. My new plan is to sail to Montauk Lake, Block Island, Jamestown RI (a friend lives there), and then backtrack home. This way, I'll have plenty of time to enjoy each destination and adjust plans based on weather.

Sander0, thank you for all the information on the harbors and ports. I will be referencing this thread for the information in your post for some time!

Thanks again!

-Chris

1989 Tartan 28
INTREPID
Great South Bay
Long Island, NY

post #14 of 49 Old 07-22-2016
not so Junior Member....

hi Chris your new itinerary sounds much more doable. Ive done the Block Island and Montauk runs from Babylon at different times and my favorite format now is to cruise near the inlet the evening before leaving and sleep on the hook inside Sore Thumb or grab a berth in the State Park boat BASIN AT Robert Moses. The boat basin is rarely busy often nearly empty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited by baywater; 07-22-2016 at 06:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to baywater For This Useful Post:
Goodwind90 (07-26-2016)
post #15 of 49 Old 07-26-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baywater View Post
hi Chris your new itinerary sounds much more doable. Ive done the Block Island and Montauk runs from Babylon at different times and my favorite format now is to cruise near the inlet the evening before leaving and sleep on the hook inside Sore Thumb or grab a berth in the State Park boat BASIN AT Robert Moses. The boat basin is rarely busy often nearly empty.

Baywater, thanks for the advice! I've seen sailors stay overnight at Sore Thumb and depart early in the morning to save time. I will definitely be doing that as well. I used to stay overnight there on my grandfathers 1960-something Tartan 27 when I was a little boy so it will surely bring back some great memories
baywater likes this.

1989 Tartan 28
INTREPID
Great South Bay
Long Island, NY
post #16 of 49 Old 07-26-2016
not so Junior Member....

me too...

post #17 of 49 Old 07-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwind90 View Post
Sander0, thank you for all the information on the harbors and ports. I will be referencing this thread for the information in your post for some time!

Thanks again!

-Chris
Chris... feel free to contact me via PM and then phone or meet me in NPT and we can discuss all manner of sail related things and LIS etc.
CalebD and Goodwind90 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
Goodwind90 (07-29-2016)
post #18 of 49 Old 07-27-2016
GMC

Sounds like you've got a good adventure planned. It looks like your modified plan still has you doing a lot of sailing, which is what it is all about, but like an earlier post, I've been tending to put my long sails in at the beginning and end and stay/cruise in sort of a defined area. I don't know LI yet (I sail out of New Bedford), but I went to a wedding out in Sag Harbor area and it seems to me there is a good week's worth of sailing/cruising in that Gardiner's Bay, Peconic Bay, Montauk, Greenport area alone. I sail with my wife, who has limited interest in long passages. Earlier this summer, we sailed down to Newport. It took about 7 hours with the conditions. Once we got to Narragansett Bay, she was not participating in anything but hops between harbors in the bay for a week. It seems we could spend a summer in that bay and not see it all. My only point is, I've been there with the need to get out there put the miles in and see as many places as possible, but that east end of Long Island might satisfy your first long trip and not burn anyone out. By the way, almost no one ever reports back after a post like yours, so if you are inclined, let us know how it went.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMC For This Useful Post:
Goodwind90 (07-29-2016)
post #19 of 49 Old 07-27-2016
GMC

As an aside, I use a couple handheld Garmins in conjunction with Opencpn. For planning, Opencpn is great for hundreds of reasons, which you'll see if you check it out. If you've got the right cables, you can set your waypoints and routes on Opencpn and transfer right over to you handheld. Not the only product like that, but it is free and comprehensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to GMC For This Useful Post:
Goodwind90 (07-29-2016)
post #20 of 49 Old 07-28-2016

I have a mooring no one is using so far this summer.

If is off the coast of Madison, CT near Tuxis Island.

Let me know if you need exact directions.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in