Hi from Berkeley, California - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By CentralPallor
  • 1 Post By MarkSF
  • 1 Post By nhsail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-19-2016 Thread Starter

Hi from Berkeley, California

I'm new to SailNet, fairly new to sailing, and extremely new to boat ownership. I did something stupid last week and bought a 1966 Santana 22. It needs work. I don't know the first thing about boat maintenance or repair, and no one has ever accused me of being handy. Not sure what came over me, but the deed is done, and now I have to get down to work. Having her hauled out, cleaned, and painted next weekend (paying more than what I spent on the boat for that, but feel it's well worth it for me). Then I have to motor her (probably) from Sausalito to Berkeley. I think I will take along one of those floating VHF hand held radios and some water wings.

Anyhow, if anyone here hangs out around the Berkeley Marina and would like help with their boat in exchange for helping me with mine, let me know. I am a great at unskilled labor and at taking direction. Also, I'm pretty good at first aid, so if you are accident prone I'm a good friend to have around when operating machinery!

I guess that concludes my intro.
nhsail likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-19-2016

Re: Hi from Berkeley, California

"Bought" a Tuna 22? Uh-oh.

Very popular bay boat. You should be able to get tips and parts advice anywhere. And second hand race sails. Most of the fleet is in desperate need of scrubbing and painting. Easily trailerable...dry storage saves money and saves the bottom. Sausalito to Berkeley shouldn't be a problem for any boat. Mind the channels.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #3 of 10 Old 07-19-2016
HANUMAN

Welcome and have fun If I wasn't on the wrong side of the land mass I'd gladly help you in the move.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

post #4 of 10 Old 07-19-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Welcome! Where will you keep the boat? There's a great group of Santana 22 racers on the bay and you should be able to get good advice from them! Have you Googled to see if there is a fleet association here? Berkeley has a low key "chowder" race in the winter, which could be a good way to learn about the community. One suggestion on that trip from Sausalito to Berkeley....if you haven't done it before, make sure you check the weather carefully (like find a webcam to see if there are whitecaps in Raccoon Straits or in the Slot). It has been wicked lately and the wind forecasts have not even been close to accurate. First thing in the morning can often be pretty calm. At least it'll be mostly downwind. Anyway, the racing/sailing/cruising community on the bay is top notch. It won't take you long before you get to know them. Just ask your neighbors while you're doing the haulout. They'll all be willing to give advice

Last edited by gamayun; 07-19-2016 at 09:38 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-20-2016 Thread Starter

I will keep the boat in the Berkeley marina, but I may move to Richmond once I get most of the work done on her. Berkeley Marina is much closer to my house, but I'm not in love with the marina itself.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-20-2016

Congratulations. Santana 22s are brilliant! I understand that the bulkhead is a little weak by design, and on many boats you'll see either a strengthened mast step, or a screw jack in place. The screw jack does make access to the forward cabin a bit tricky, though.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #7 of 10 Old 07-20-2016

I suggest getting a copy of the "Complete Sailboat Maintenance Manual" by Don Casey. As well as great sections covering maintenance, it has a section on inspecting the ageing sailboat yourself. I know you've already bought the boat, but inspecting it would still be a good idea to know what you're into.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I suggest getting a copy of the "Complete Sailboat Maintenance Manual" by Don Casey. As well as great sections covering maintenance, it has a section on inspecting the ageing sailboat yourself. I know you've already bought the boat, but inspecting it would still be a good idea to know what you're into.
Yes! I bought that, as well as This Old Boat and one of those "How Things Work" books specific to sailing. I also bought a bunch of books about rehabbing old wooden boats because I originally had planned to buy a Bear haha. (Whenever I start to feel overwhelmed and stupid, I comfort myself with the thought that at least I did not buy an old, broken down, WOODEN boat.)

Don Casey's books are great, and I am very excited to attempt much of the work myself! The City of Berkeley actually has a tool lending "library" so I might not have to buy too many power tools right away.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-20-2016

Well, most of us knew nothing about boat maintenance before we bought our first boat!
gamayun likes this.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-21-2016
SFBay Sailor

Dock

Great little boats, we spar with them on the estuary.

This time of year, realize that the wind in the afternoon, can be rather frisky through the slot between Alcatraz & Berkeley.
see predictwind.com for example forecasts.

Time your arrival to be before noon, even if that means starting at 0 dark thirty from Sausalito, beats coming into a marina in 25-30 kts downwind in a new to you boat. Not the way to meet your neighbors. You get a placid delivery and an early arrival as well as the whole afternoon to deal with contingencies.

Recognize you can get fog early and have at least an iphone/android with a free nav app. A cube corner radar reflector is a good thing, a horn is better.

Buy a chart and make sure you have the basic safety stuff covered: fire extinguisher, anchor & rode, flares etc, sufficient docking lines and fenders, etc.

If you have an outboard, well worth having it serviced while boat is hauled, beats having it pack in when you need it, and replace the fuel with clean. (put the old in your car)

Buy a paddle, you will be surprised that a paddle, as well as a manual bilge pump can be surprisingly effective when it's the means to get you home.

As regards, keeping it, consider Alameda/Oakland, protected water to learn on and you can go out into the bay if you want to get beat up.

As regards help with boat, just come out sailing, we race Wednesday nights at OYC.
gamayun likes this.

Last edited by nhsail; 07-21-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in