Sailing in New England - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 08-24-2016

Re: Sailing in New England

I had my deck re-cored and a bulkhead rebuilt by a thorough gentleman in MA. His name is Jerry Swartz and he's reachable at: Jerrygelcoat [AT] msn.com

I have photos of the work he did on Clementine. It's impressive.

1975 Tartan 30 Competition Rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 08-25-2016

You sure your NS27 fuel tank space will be EXACTLY as the others?

Make a cardboard mockup and drop it in to make sure it fits and that you can get it in and out, then have a fab shop duplicate it.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-25-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
You sure your NS27 fuel tank space will be EXACTLY as the others?

Make a cardboard mockup and drop it in to make sure it fits and that you can get it in and out, then have a fab shop duplicate it.
Ideally, you want to do this.

Best to get the old tank out so a builder (if local) can make a new one to the exact size of the old. Each NS27 is essentially built to order. I think even the older ones in the 70s and 80s. There might be variations in one that doesn't apply to others. There are other owners who have been on multiple boats and even between factory built ones, say they're all still very different boats.

I ended up cutting my tank into pieces to get it out to keep from cutting the cabin floor. Other boats (aft-cabins) can more likely remove their tanks in one piece for a full drop in replacement. Certainly not an easy project for anyone to do.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel

post #14 of 15 Old 08-25-2016 Thread Starter

Yes, that's the plan, to get the old tank out and have a new one built to specs. When talking to fabricators for price and time estimates, it's helpful to have general dimensions though.

Dan-I didn't notice the tech folder before, thanks man, that's a little treasure trove of info. I talked to another fabricator yesterday before you posted about speedy tanks, and 1) They'd never heard of a NS27, 2) they didn't epoxy the outside of the tank. So I'll be giving speedy tanks a call tomorrow. Thanks again!
post #15 of 15 Old 08-25-2016 Thread Starter

And yeah, I'm not nearly experienced enough *yet* to tackle that job on my own. Nor do I have the time :/ I only get about 2 months off between ships, so time is a precious commodity. The yard I'm keeping the boat at over the winter lets you do your own work though, so I'm gonna have them soda blast the hull and then do the rest myself, which I'm pretty excited about-well, as long as the hull is dry enough. If not Ill just wait till the spring.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in