Long-time reader, first-time poster - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 09-13-2016
Fortuitous

Re: Long-time reader, first-time poster

The mast on my Catalina 22 was broken too, although mine happened while in winter storage at a marina. My mast was down for the season and the neighboring boat's was up--he lost his mast in a nor'easter, which fell down and karate-chopped mine. I went through insurance, thinking that they'd just get the other guy's insurance to cover it. That turned into a whole thing in and of itself, but in the end, I got a new mast for the price of my deductible, including new standing rigging. Catalina still makes the C22 masts, and you can order one pre-rigged. The marina that did the work made a case that it would be cheaper overall to buy the rigged mast than to have their rigger move the standing rigging to the new extrusion, which was a bonus.

It might not be as clear cut to go through insurance in your case, since it wasn't broken by someone else, and getting a brand-new fully-rigged mast is probably the most expensive option, but it is an option, and you'd know for sure that everything was in good shape.

Best of luck getting her fixed up.

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 09-13-2016
Tartan 27' owner

Good replies so far.
Be careful with insurance here as Chip suggests. If the Ins. Co. adjuster/surveyor determines that the breakage is due to "normal wear & tear" they may reject covering the claim. The reason for the breakage should be investigated by you, or a surveyor you hire to make a report. A good surveyor will be able to make a report that the Ins. would pay for given sufficient grounds. Your say-so is not sufficient grounds.

It would be worthwhile to contact a surveyor on many levels as they may be able to help point you in the right direction with your repairs or replacement.

As to repairing a broken mast like yous, it is generally unadvisable, unless you know of a really good metal working shop that can make a sleeve that will support the break at least 3' in either direction while still keeping the mast straight and true. Hopefully out of the same aluminum alloy. I'm just picking 3' and I'm not an engineer or naval architect, it could even be longer. The repair has to be true or it will break again, perhaps in a different spot when the wind tops 20 knots again. The repair will also add some weight aloft which is not good.
But hey, if you have your own metal shop and love doing this kind of stuff, by all means have at.
I'd recommend not throwing good money after bad by repairing it and bite the bullet and order a new mast from Catalina; even the un-rigged one that Chip mentions. (I'm great at spending other peoples money.) You would learn a lot by rigging the wires yourself or even observing your rigger while they do it.
You will also be able to sail with a high degree of confidence that your rig is solid if you replace it.

You didn't say (or I dont recall) if your shrouds/stays need replacing but I will assume that they most certainly do, or are suspect. You can take your existing stays off the rig and bring them to a rigger to replicate, or do it yourself. Take old hardware off mast and pray that it fits the new expensive extrusion you ordered.

Anyway, good luck, glad no one was hurt and may you and your boat be whole again soon.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-14-2016 Thread Starter

Thank you, Jeff, CB, Chip, and Caleb! I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions! I think I'm going to scour the Internet for a used Catalina mast (70s-80s) and if all else fails, just order a new mast through Catalina. As far as the rest of the issues, I'm going to to a thorough investigation of all the shrouds, stays, chainplates etc. to make sure no other structural damage was done. Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help, and I will be sure to let you all know how it works out!

Also, CB, I have been looking at WYC for awhile! Me and the First Mate think that might be the club we try to join; I have heard great things about it and the racing is excellent! Hope to see you out there soon!

post #14 of 15 Old 09-14-2016
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz63 View Post
Thank you, Jeff, CB, Chip, and Caleb! I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions! I think I'm going to scour the Internet for a used Catalina mast (70s-80s) and if all else fails, just order a new mast through Catalina. As far as the rest of the issues, I'm going to to a thorough investigation of all the shrouds, stays, chainplates etc. to make sure no other structural damage was done. Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help, and I will be sure to let you all know how it works out!

Also, CB, I have been looking at WYC for awhile! Me and the First Mate think that might be the club we try to join; I have heard great things about it and the racing is excellent! Hope to see you out there soon!
Feel free to drop me a PM with contact info. Still a bit of fall sailing and racing left, always opportunities to crew. We go to the end of October. If you want to see the culture, just go to the website and watch the 50th anniversary video. Great place to be. Hope to see you out soon!

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

post #15 of 15 Old 09-14-2016

I'm 99% sure there is a C22 owner's forum. You might want to check it out. I have a C34 and I can't tell you how active their owners web site is and how much it helped me both before and after buying my boat.

Try this:
http://www.catalina22experiment.com/

Catalina 34

Last edited by chuck53; 09-14-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in