Long-time reader, first-time poster - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-12-2016 Thread Starter

Long-time reader, first-time poster

Hi gang, I'm Walker. I have been reading the forums for about three years while crewing on a J/130 in Milwaukee. I recently moved back "home" (sort of) to Western Wisconsin/Minneapolis, MN this last spring. I just recently purchased a 1973 Catalina 22 that was extremely well taken care of and am now just starting to learn the ins and outs of her. This last Saturday, in 20+ knot winds, she had a mast failure and the mast essentially buckled in the middle about two feet from the spreaders. So after a few successful sails with crew and single-handing, I'm back to being land-locked while I figure out what to do about my mast. Just thought I would introduce myself before I start posting other places looking for advice on how to go about doing repairs to the mast, mast-head, standing rigging, etc. Glad to join such a knowledgeable group of like-minded folks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-12-2016

Re: Long-time reader, first-time poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz63 View Post
Hi gang, I'm Walker. I have been reading the forums for about three years while crewing on a J/130 in Milwaukee. I recently moved back "home" (sort of) to Western Wisconsin/Minneapolis, MN this last spring. I just recently purchased a 1973 Catalina 22 that was extremely well taken care of and am now just starting to learn the ins and outs of her. This last Saturday, in 20+ knot winds, she had a mast failure and the mast essentially buckled in the middle about two feet from the spreaders. So after a few successful sails with crew and single-handing, I'm back to being land-locked while I figure out what to do about my mast. Just thought I would introduce myself before I start posting other places looking for advice on how to go about doing repairs to the mast, mast-head, standing rigging, etc. Glad to join such a knowledgeable group of like-minded folks!
Ouch! That makes me sad. I have a 1974 Catalina 22 (hull 3746) in Minneapolis. It was windy on Saturday, that's for sure.

It is possible to have a sleeve made to fix the damaged section. Someone on my lake had it done. If you want me to I could ask to see who they had fix it.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #3 of 15 Old 09-12-2016 Thread Starter

Hi Minnesail! I have actually seen some of your posts (not to be creepy) given you're in the same area and have a similar boat! Yes, Saturday was brutal. I shouldn't have been out, but I guess that's stuff you learn when you're a first-timer.

What lake are you on? If you could get any info about repairing the damaged mast, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much!

post #4 of 15 Old 09-12-2016

I'm on Lake Nokomis, a small lake but a very friendly and helpful group of sailors. We have an active Facebook page, search for Lake Nokomis Sailing.

Where were you sailing when disaster struck?

I will ask around about that mast repair. Our early boats have a thinner mast than later ones, I guess you are an example of why Catalina beefed them up. I've been out in 30 knot gusts and haven't broken mine yet! I wonder if your rigging tension was uneven.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #5 of 15 Old 09-12-2016 Thread Starter

I live just west of Nokomis off Diamond Lake Rd west of 35! I have never sailed that lake but it looks like fun. I have spent some time on Calhoun, which isn't bad either.

I was on Lake Wissota in Chippewa Falls, WI. Might have had it tensioned wrong, although I checked with the Loos gauge prior to going out. Might not have had it correct regardless. Like I said, I am pretty new to this boat and that was the strongest wind I have encountered with the new boat. Yes, I did read about how older Catalinas have had mast failure similar. I will be sure to check out the FB group. Thanks for the reply!
post #6 of 15 Old 09-13-2016

Was the boat insured? Keeping in mind that a lot of home owners and renters insurance also cover boats in this price range.

Greg
post #7 of 15 Old 09-13-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz63 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Whoa.

Whoa.

There's another person whose actual name is Walker?

Whoa.

Maybe we're only limited to one Walker per major U.S. geographical region.*

Obviously I now feel compelled to deliver what seems to be the universal greeting to all Walkers (current sample size to date: me), and ask if anyone ever calls you "Texas Ranger".

With the formalities taken care of, sorry to hear about the mast issues, though. Keep us up to date on the fix (assuming and hoping you are able to get it fixed). If you ever find yourself out in Maine, let me know so I can vacate the area and maintain the Walker equilibrium (or remain, risk collapsing the universe in on itself, and buy you a drink).

* I now know a total of three: One in New England (me), one in the Southeast, and one in the upper Midwest.

Current Boat: TBD
Currently Crewing: 22' Pearson Ensign (Wednesday Night Fall Racing)
Sailing Area: Casco Bay, Maine, USA
post #8 of 15 Old 09-13-2016 Thread Starter

Hi Greg, yes the boat was insured; I got a marine policy on it right when I purchased. I just don't want to go that route if I don't need to.

WALKER?! Shut the front door... I have NEVER met another first-name Walker. Yes, holy sh*t all the time I get "Texas Ranger." One of my nicknames as a kid was "Chuck" (for Norris. SMH). I lived outside of Boston for 3 years, so I think we're ok in terms of the Walker equilibrium; of course, now that we *know*, all bets might be off! Just think of how confused the bar tender would be when we both say "put this one on Walker's tab!" Anyway, great to meet another Walker!
post #9 of 15 Old 09-13-2016
Administrator

Welcome to SailNet. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mast. I have a couple thoughts here:

Like other's have said, I would suggest that you talk with your insurance company. They may total the boat for the price of a mast, but they may not. Depending on the company, it can really simplify life if they handle it.

Next option would be to buy a spar section. Catalina had it's own proprietary spars for some boats and some spars. Most of those original Catalina spars are no longer available. But many of the Catalina masts were standard sections made by the usual extruders (Maybe Dwyer, Kenyon, or one of those) and those standard sections may still be available. The cheapest thing may be to buy a new spar section from the manufacturer and then transfer the old hardware and rigging. That would require contacting customer support at Catalina and asking them to provide you with the manufacturer and spar section that was used on your particular boat. A spar section for a boat that size may be something in the $500-700 range.

It may be possible to sleeve the mast, but that would still require locating a short section of the correct spar and it probably won't save much since its expensive to do that right.

Find a used spar or rig. That may be possible since many of these boats have been been lost over time to one screwball thing or another. The other thing might be to buy a really beat up Catalina 22 and strip it. I know of a number of cases where that was done with Catalina 27's and Alberg 30's. It is not unusual to find really beat up examples of the Cat 22 for free or for a grand or two around here. (Here's one for $200 https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/5766726188.html , which is a pretty cheap price for a mast, but of course then you need to dispose of the boat).

Whatever you do, good luck in getting the old girl back together and out on the water.

Jeff
Faster and Minnesail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 09-13-2016 at 12:55 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-13-2016
Lake Sailor

Welcome to SN and sorry about the demasting. I know the feeling, lost mine this year on my 235. I sail on Minnetonka out of Wayzata Yacht Club. You should come racing! Hopefully you can get a mast and get back on the water as soon as possible., I was off for 9 weeks...... Any thoughts on to why the rig came down?

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in