Will Work For Knowledge - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arcb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-14-2016 Thread Starter

Will Work For Knowledge

Hello everyone I grew up on my fathers sailboat but was to young to remember all the adventures and sailing that took place. I have a really big passion for sailing and the ocean and would like to someday live on a boat and travel around the world. I know nothing but the basics and do not have the money for a new boat. I would like to buy an old boat and restore it over time and I have a friend with some land that would let me do it. The problem is I have no clue how to restore a boat . I have looked at some videos online and read a book or 2 on the subject but I am more of a hands on learner. I was wondering if there is anyone around Florida( I am willing to travel) or specially central Florida that might be restoring a sailboat and would trade some free labor in exchange for mentoring me about sailboats ,sailboat engines etc.

Last edited by sailforlife; 07-27-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-14-2016

Re: Will Work For Knowledge

Suggestion:

Find a nearby / close-by maritime museum and volunteer your time there in fixing up and restoring old clunkers, overhauling mechanical and marine electrical systems, etc. This is usually a volunteer group effort, under the direction of 'real' shipwrights, 'master' carpenters, etc. etc.

Although 'fiberglass' construction would be relatively rare in such a museum, the skills and knowledge needed for 'wood', etc. would almost directly translate to fiberglass and its 'rework', etc. With wood construction and its restoration you'd also be exposed to the 'scantlings' (required strengths that have been developed and have evolved over the decades) for marine type 'design'.

:-)
post #3 of 7 Old 09-14-2016

Dock

Another suggestion - if you're in Central Florida, drive over to the Cocoa Beach area one Saturday and visit the yards at the Titusville City Marina and at Harbortown in Merritt Island and look for someone working on their boat - you probably won't have to look too hard to find someone in either place working on some projects. If you don't see anyone the day your are there leave a note on the message board and I'll bet you'll get a call.

If you're ever down in the Keys let me know - I have plenty of projects I'm working on!

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogandy For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (07-10-2017)

post #4 of 7 Old 09-14-2016
Sailor

Get a job in a boat yard and get paid for learning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim_W For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (07-10-2017)
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_W View Post
Get a job in a boat yard and get paid for learning.
That's partially what I did when I was younger....Its hard work but you learn a lot very quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (07-10-2017)
post #6 of 7 Old 09-15-2016

I bought an old boat, a couple of books and just went for it. You learn pretty fast.

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

The Following User Says Thank You to alctel For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (07-10-2017)
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2016

Did you have a specific field boat in mind? There are quite a few buoyant deals out there that you can work on, live on and even sail while you fix them up. Might save you some money and time.

The last kind of boat I'd be looking for is a field boat. You can get a 70's vintage 26 or 27' sailboat that is a fully functioning boat for a couple thousand dollars.

If it floats, the motor runs and it sails with out the mast falling over, that is a huge step up from a pile of lead and fiber glass sitting in a field providing housing for wasps, spiders and snakes.
sailforlife likes this.

Tags
florida sailbot , sailboat , sailboat engine , sailboat mentor , sailboat repair

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in