Can't get husband on board with cruising - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 63 Old 09-22-2016

Re: Can't get husband on board with cruising

First, welcome. There are no stupid questions, but unfortunately, there are a**holes who feel obligated to argue about that point. Hopefully, none will show up here.

It seems that this issue comes up frequently, although it usually presents itself the other way around (he wants to cruise, she doesn't). No matter, the problem is the same, and IMHO, it has little to do with sailing. You could substitute any two conflicting, big picture goals (kids, no kids; city or country; party, non-party) and have the same problems and potential solutions.

I started to type up what I hoped to be a thoughtful answer, and it started sounding a bit too "Dear Abby" for my taste. So I'll just stick with my experience for what it's worth.

We have the opposite issue in my family: I want to sail; not full time cruising, but I'd like to spend a week or so on the boat at a time and cruise to local spots. No one else in my family ever shared this goal. I hoped they would take to it more once we bought a boat. But my kids never really took to sailing. They were early grade school when I bought my boat, but my son grew to be at best neutral about it. My daughter used to like it, but now she'll go for an afternoon, but just to make me happy. Both are out of the house now.

My wife likes fair weather outings, but for no more than a few hours at a time. She has zero (one might say negative) interest in overnight cruises, let alone spending a week on a boat. When the weather is the slightest bit rough, we have to turn around and come back in. She would be happy if I had sailing buddies to take these trips with, but I have come to accept that she and I will never cruise into the sunset. We have talked about how disappointed I am that I will never have my dream (that I've had by the way since I was a kid).

Fundamentally, she cannot participate in this dream of mine without great fear/pain/effort. And it's not like she hasn't tried sailing; we've had the boat for over 15 years, and we have done an overnight. To me, it seems rather selfish to demand more of her or to punish her for not trying "harder". So she feels guilty and I feel disappointed. But we live with it because we've decided that the most important thing is that we are together.

I don't think there's much more I can say without pretending to be a psychologist or marriage counselor. Have either of you read any of the multitude of "I didn't want to go cruising and my spouse sort of forced me into it, and it turned out to be [fantastic][awful]" books that are out there? They may offer some insights for you too.

Best of luck in figuring this out.
arf145, seabeau and Lockjaw like this.

Last edited by mstern; 09-22-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 63 Old 09-22-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

The "suburban, financial security" you speak of is often referred to as "the golden handcuffs."

Caberg is right, this doesn't have much to do with sailing. This is a marital issue best worked out between you and your husband without the intervention of strangers on the internet.
The least intrusive advice I could give, is for you to agree on a boat and start weekending, and hope that once he actually gets out there sailing, that your respective points of view come into closer alignment.

Meaning, either you begin to see things more his way, or he begins to see things more your way.

You might go sailing for a week or two, and decide that you hate longer trips, that your husband was right and that weekending is the right mix. He might go sailing and decide that you were right, and let's ditch suburbia for a Halberg-Rassey 53 and a world cruise.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Last edited by Ajax_MD; 09-22-2016 at 11:00 AM.
post #13 of 63 Old 09-22-2016

"Just go" can be scary. Especially to someone who has a reason for valuing financial security (past problems, family issues, whatever).

You probably just have to go slow. That's kind of a contradiction. "Just go" and "let's take our time" don't really go together. Still, you are going to have to work your husband into a position where he feels comfortable stepping away from whatever financial safety-net it is that he is holding onto. That is not going to happen overnight. It is going to take some time. To at least some extent, I think you need to resign yourself to that.

Of course, some people will say, if he won't go with you then just go by yourself. Heck with him! Leave him behind (your kids, too, I guess) and get on with your life... That's an option, of course, but it doesn't sound to me like that is an option you are willing to take. So maybe you can compromise where you go sooner than he would like, but later than you would like. Neither gets EVERYTHING that they want, but both get SOME of what they want.

Good luck.

post #14 of 63 Old 09-22-2016

Can't you get a boat, put it in a marina near where you live and move onto it? You'd probably end up saving some money over having a separate boat/house, get liveaboard experience while still keeping your job for a few years.

It'd also give you time to really tear down and refit the systems before you are in the middle of nowhere.

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 63 Old 09-22-2016

I am in a similar boat, pun intended, trying to convince my wife that we need to just go now.
My wife enjoys sailing for an afternoon and really had a great time on the 3 days we spent in Catalina, but it is not an all consuming life long goal like for me.

Unfortunately we have had two major life turning over events in our life this year. The side effect of these changes being we are not clinging onto the status quo of careers and suburban living. I doubt this would have happened without a total life upheaval. I keep showing her images of places we could sail, sharing stories about what it's like to travel the world by boat. Last month I started showing her potential cruising boats. She is a Chef and sits in the U-shaped galleys and says, "I could live on this boat." The other night she brought up ways to rearrange our life to get "this" going forward. I feel my wife and I are a lot closer to go now than you and it would probably take 2+ years to make it happen.

Our future plans are to spend a week onboard an Olson 34 at Catalina next month. The couple we planned to sail with may be backing out and I am trying to convince her she knows more about sailing than she thinks, she certainly knows more about sailing than the majority of my boat partners. She convinced me to spend X-mas with her brother in Seattle. I agreed with the stipulation that we can go boat shopping while up there. She is excited for both.

For you, I like Zeehag's idea about baby steps and even the Ericson 35. I own an Ericson 32 in a partnership where I have done a lot of work on the boat. This allows me to learn about maintenance and the scope of work involved in boat ownership. It has allowed my wife to spend more time on board and realize how much fun a weekend at the marina is. I would not recommend my steps in turning around a spouse's opinion on casting off, but I think making sailing more and more a part of your life will start getting you closer.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 63 Old 09-22-2016
Cruiser

Nota,

As others have mentioned, and as I suspect you already know, this isn't about sailing...

My observation has been the golden handcuffs are difficult for those with low risk tolerance to shed... and many [most?] are quite suited to them for their entire lifetime.

Looking at this simplistically, ask yourself how can you achieve and share your goals without exceeding his risk threshold? [Whether it be financial security, fear of failure, peer displacement, image of self worth, etc.]

Sometimes you can modify goals to stay within another's risk tolerance and achieve a win-win. [Sensibly managing each other's tolerances...] But only you two can figure that out.

So I'm no help so far, but can offer a couple of other sources that may provide you with additional frames of reference:

If you haven't already, consider joining the closed Facebook group Women Who Sail [the Admiral's favorite forum...] and propose this same topic.

Another would be to watch this excellent Ted Talk about the merits of risk [try to look past the focus on children to capture the salient points...] by Christopher Barnes.

Wishing you the best with your endeavors.

Cheers! Bill

post #17 of 63 Old 09-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacoolkid View Post
It's like we're trapped by our security in this suburban life, and I don't want to just stay here and work til I die. He shows me spreadsheets, and talks about all the financial freedom we'll have in 10 years or so when our youngest graduates from high school. But that's TEN YEARS. Not only do I not want to wait, but I want to get out there with our kids!
So, I feel like I need to preface this by saying "I am not an experienced sailor, and only just started learning this year, so what follows is not the advice of a sailor on how to get a spouse on board with cruising [Side-note: My long-term goal is also to convince my wife to go cruising]."

So with that disclaimer out of the way:

I can completely sympathize with your husband. I recently went through what basically amounted to a mid-life existential crisis over our own financial situation, and yes, spreadsheets were involved and calculations to determine years-to-financial-independence and all of that. It was a... sobering experience. And I can see how incredibly easy it would be for someone who is spreadsheet-inclined to get hung up on "sticking to the plan," especially when any deviation from the plan can be reflected on the spreadsheet and you see your time-to-freedom slowly inching further into the future.

If you want to try to win over your husband to the idea of going cruising for a year now, my first word of advice would be "take the advice of people with more life experience than me, who have all already posted." But, being someone who has the same dream, I'll offer some alternative advice anyway: Engage your husband on his own "battlefield," so to speak. If your husband falls back to the spreadsheets and the financial freedom in ten years, have spreadsheets of your own. Come up with a budget for cruising, so you can say "This is how much it will probably cost us to do this" (and be realistic about it). Show him (and yourself) what effect a year of cruising will have on "the plan." See if there is a way to fit "the dream" into "the plan" without wrecking the end-goal of financial freedom. Maybe you can spend a year cruising, and that pushes your financial freedom goal back by two years—is that worth it to you and, more importantly, is that a modification to "the plan" that he can accept?

The short version is this: In war, you want to choose the battlefield, but in matters of persuasion, you can't win unless you look at the situation on the other person's terms. Think about cruising the way your husband thinks about cruising, and look for a way to fit the pro-cruising argument into the spreadsheet-laden lens of "the plan."

And if that doesn't work, long weekend trips are always there as a bridge.
notacoolkid likes this.

Current Boat: TBD
Currently Crewing: 22' Pearson Ensign (Wednesday Night Fall Racing)
Sailing Area: Casco Bay, Maine, USA
post #18 of 63 Old 09-22-2016

I would have almost thought you were my wife except for a few details being different!

We got farther down the road toward fulfilling the dream – we were about 8 weeks away from casting off when we pulled the plug. Full time cruising was my wife’s dream and I was happy enough weekending on the bay. When we took a breath from our preparations we realized there were a lot of factors we hadn’t fully thought through.

For me it really came down to feeling that we could have more fun with the time and money we would have spent to cruise for a year or two by spreading it among a wider diversity of experiences. The luster of the dream started to wear off when I realized almost all my spare time and money were going to the boat and the cruising kitty. We like to travel places that aren’t accessible by boat and we do have hobbies outside of boating and found it was just not fun to be increasingly sacrificing other interests in pursuit of a singular dream. I admire the cruisers who can pour themselves completely into the cruising lifestyle, and they may be the ones who are best suited to go far on a small budget, but pouring myself in so fully just wasn’t working.

My wife’s doubts had a lot to do with our daughter. While we’re all for adventuring together as a family and nudging kids outside the comforts of suburbia – and have done a good bit of both, our daughter’s probably not the type of kid who’s ever going to thrive being homeschooled or being pulled away from her community of friends, grandparents, extended family, etc. for an indefinite period.

We’re both at peace with not going, at least for now, but we’ll probably try again either when our daughter is around 10-12 or once we have an empty nest. When we try again, we’ll have the perspective of not being so swept up in the dream, and being more clear-eyed about how to balance cruising with our other dreams and goals.

As a final note, until I either hit the lotto or retirement age, one thing that would allay much of my anxiety about the financial side of things would be to either arrange our lives to work part of the year and cruise the rest and/or to have some sort of income stream while cruising. No matter how much money is in the bank, to me it’s very nerve racking to be drawing down on savings when we haven’t yet earned enough to retire forever.

Don’t know if you husband has similar concerns, but thought this might help from someone who’s been down a similar path.
chef2sail, tempest and notacoolkid like this.
post #19 of 63 Old 09-22-2016

I took a year long cruise at 40 years old with my wife and 2 daughters, then 9 and 11. That is the proper age range for a sabbatical cruise. I believe you want them to have a normal land style high school. My wife did not want to chuck everything and sail to Tahiti and never come back so we came up with a compromise - we sailed from Milwaukee across the Great Lakes, Trent Severn canal, Erie canal, and Atlantic ICW to Miami then 3 months in the Bahamas. Jobs were put on hold for a year. This trip cost on average $110/day or about $35K. Boat was sold at the end of the trip. IT WAS A GREAT YEAR for EVERYONE and we will never forget. Cruising can be a lot of things. Look for a compromise trip like we did. Mother in law lived in the house while we were gone. Cars put in storage. We came back to the old jobs. It can be done.

Now, 20 years later, I am preparing to go again. Children are grown and on their own. My parents have passed. New wife. Full retirement income I am now financially independent.
jephotog, jwing and tempest like this.
post #20 of 63 Old 09-22-2016

Interesting dilemma, with no easy answers. In some ways, having options, or choices in life, which are often considered positives, can frequently be paralizing. leaving the comfort of the known for the unknown. A "Risk vs Reward" evaluation, as discussed in the Ted video above is a reasonable approach to evaluate some of the choices. The timeline also seems to me to be an important factor to consider.

I also have rhetorical questions that I'd ask. No need to respond or reveal personal info, but you talk about your career flexibilty, but not your husbands. Perhaps he really enjoys his work/career and wants to pursue that further. Perhaps it's not as easy to jump in and out of as yours is, should that time come?

On the financial security side, how much is enough? Can that financial plan be accelerated to shorten the time to departure. Why does financial freedom become greater after high school? Often, college expenses are the toughest to accumulate, should college be in the plan.

I see the merits of going now, while the kids are young, since it could become even more difficult as they grow older, engage in their own pastimes and activities, that may not include sailing away from their friends and activities with their parents. What are their thoughts on the matter, do they have a voice? It seems to me that everyone has to buy-in. Kids are often more fearless, and adaptible at an early age.

That said, The Chesapeake is large enough that you could spend the next 20 years sailing and not see everything there is to see and do. To get the buy-in, you might have to, as others have said, take it in steps. Get the boat, go for day sails, weekend sails and take weeklong vacations aboard. Get everyone hooked, or not. Work on the spreadsheets, see what you can do to shorten the horizon. More financial Sacrifices now to build up the kitty faster? If you're the driver of this plan, it would seem that having the solutions to all the objections will fall on you. Which means having a plan that for the most part satisfies or alleviates, to some degree, the major fears.

This, from a guy who's still trying to figure out how to take the next leap and untie the land lines. Good luck!
notacoolkid likes this.

Last edited by tempest; 09-23-2016 at 01:50 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in