Well howdy - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-14-2016 Thread Starter

Well howdy

Hi all,
Pleased to be joining Sailnet as I believe I am about to purchase my first sailboat. I looked around many sites and this seemed the most helpful and usually the first forum that comes up in Google when doing any research.

I have made an offer on a Lippincott 30 and the owner has accepted. The owner is a friend and we toured the boat a couple weeks ago - looks to my untrained eye to be in pretty good shape. I guess the next thing is a survey.

So here is my first question (of many)...

Is there anything I need to look for in selecting a surveyor or is it OK to go with the broker suggestion?
Do I need just an insurance survey or do I need a comprehensive marine survey?

OK, that's two questions already...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-14-2016
HANUMAN

Re: Well howdy

I would find an independent surveyor, not one referred by the broker. Not that he's not honest, but.... conflict of interest can be a hard thing to quantify.

Start a new thread with something like 'surveyor in XXX PA needed. You will likely get some replies from people who have first hand experience.

What type of survey really depends on your situation. Most of us here will recommend a full on survey. You will want to be there. Bring a small flashlight, pen, paper, camera and follow him around through the entire process. You will have the opportunity to learn more about your boat than you can imagine. A good surveyor will expect this and be personable and helpful through the process.

Some will give you an option to 'buy out' early if something really bad comes up. You won't get a paper copy of the survey but you get a steep discount.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
The Following User Says Thank You to RobGallagher For This Useful Post:
AJC506 (11-14-2016)
post #3 of 20 Old 11-14-2016 Thread Starter

Thank you Rob. Much appreciated

post #4 of 20 Old 11-14-2016

I wouldn't go with the brokers surveyor.

Whether you go with an insurance survey or a comprehensive really depends on what you want out of the survey and the value of the boat. If you want to be reasonably confident you can get insurance and the boat will float, an insurance survey should be fine.

If you really want to beat your friend down on price or the boat has high value or you really don't know much about boats, you might want a comprehensive survey.

Keep in mind, comprehensive surveys are nearly twice the price and an insurance survey is all the insurance company wants.

I find picking surveyors can be difficult. If it was me I would want one with an internet presence of some description, I always wonder what all the stealth surveyors are trying to hide.

Personally, I prefer a surveyor that will give an honest unbiased assesment of the vessels condition based on fact. I don't like the idea of those buyers broker/surveyor hibrid surveyors. I just want the facts, you know what they say about opinions.

One simple question I would ask of a surveyor is what kind of boat they own. Then gauge their response, their answer may or may not reveal quite a bit about them.

Last edited by Arcb; 11-14-2016 at 06:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
AJC506 (11-14-2016)
post #5 of 20 Old 11-14-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Welcome and all the best on your purchase!! Each boat has its issues so you might want to research up on the Lippincott 30 to see where you might want the surveyor to focus on. Since this is a friendly sale, whatever is found, maybe the seller might be willing to help you with anything that comes up. Personally, I would go with a full survey especially if you're fairly new to this. You might want to ask around and find someone who comes personally recommended.
The Following User Says Thank You to gamayun For This Useful Post:
AJC506 (11-15-2016)
post #6 of 20 Old 11-15-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks @Arcb and @gamayun !

The first information I saw on the Lippincott was from a user here - @4arch
Made it sound enticing enough to go look at the boat and I was impressed with what I saw in person.

Will go with full survey, eyes wide open!
post #7 of 20 Old 11-15-2016
Broad Reachin'

Lost of good advice above and else on these forums.

Before jumping to the survey, have you done your own thorough check of the boat? If not, here's a good summary of how to do so I gleaned from SailDogs thread of a few years back.

If this is your first sailboat, a survey might be a good introduction to how they're put together and maintained, so do be present and ask questions during the survey. Good surveyors welcome this.

If you do opt for a survey, I wouldn't necessarily go with the broker recommendation. Ask around at marinas, yacht clubs and boat yards. You'll get plenty of opinions and stories of who's good and who's not. Interview at least a couple surveyors before hiring them. What's their process? What do you get in your report? What's covered and what isn't?

Also, be sure to talk to your insurance company (and lender, if you have one) to find out exactly what they require.

Catalina 34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 11-15-2016 at 01:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwaltersmi For This Useful Post:
AJC506 (11-15-2016)
post #8 of 20 Old 11-15-2016
One of None

Welcome aboard! wonder if the L30 you are looking at is the one I checked out over 10 years ago, twas berted in Baltimore then... not many around.

good luck!
AJC506 likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #9 of 20 Old 11-15-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Lost of good advice above and else on these forums.

Before jumping to the survey, have you done your own thorough check of the boat? If not, here's a good summary of how to do so I gleaned from SailDogs thread of a few years back.

If this is your first sailboat, a survey might be a good introduction to how they're put together and maintained, so do be present and ask questions during the survey. Good surveyors welcome this.

If you do opt for a survey, I wouldn't necessarily go with the broker recommendation. Ask around at marinas, yacht clubs and boat yards. You'll get plenty of opinions and stories of who's good and who's not. Interview at least a couple surveyors before hiring them. What's their process? What do you get in your report? What's covered and what isn't?

Also, be sure to talk to your insurance company (and lender, if you have one) to find out exactly what they require.

Do I need just an insurance survey or do I need a comprehensive marine survey?
thanks. I read that inspection tips summary the night before I went out to the boat, so thank you for that! Of course, half of it was gobbledegook to me at the time, but now I've seen the boat, only a third of it is
post #10 of 20 Old 11-15-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Welcome aboard! wonder if the L30 you are looking at is the one I checked out over 10 years ago, twas berted in Baltimore then... not many around.

good luck!
thanks for the welcome.
It may have been - I think the last time it changed hands was in 2006, but was sold by Tom Lippincott I believe.

One of the cool things is it's not a common boat. One of the scary things is it's not a common boat.....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in