Want to Purchase by Fall 2018 - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 Old 11-28-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Want to Purchase by Fall 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That is great that you would own the boat outright. Eliminating debt for retirement is a huge financial advantage.

I've been a long distance landlord and it can be tough. Tenants do not care for your property, like you would. They don't all pay, nor stay for the term of their lease. Systems fail (hot water heaters, furnace, roof) and they suck up an entire year or more surplus. It can be a great strategy to maintain a house to move back to, but you must have someone local who can tend to the property and watch the tenants and they cost money too.
Thanks for those insights, and in the interim, I plan to talk this over with a few property management companies about their services, and fees.

Question, do you regret being a long distance landlord, or is the hassle worth it to have that piece of real estate in your possession, and appreciating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 11-28-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Some cpmments.

Don't get hung up on masthead vs. fractional, keel stepped vs. deck stepped. Concentrate on the boat and it it meets your requirements.

You have a decent budget. Should get you something in the 30-35 foot range. Will be older and need some work, but not a project.

I like C&Cs, but there are plenty of other makes that will suit your needs. Many will have better interiors for living aboard compared to a racing oriented C&C.
Really appreciate your feedback Jim, your validation of C&C boats as crusier-racers, and suggestion to look at SVs that have much more of a cruiser specific layout. Regarding the last point, I guess I'll make my mind up about that once I start boat shopping with checkbook in back pocket.
post #23 of 45 Old 11-28-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
If you are set on a racer cruiser and you like C&C's I don't think you could go too far wrong with a C&C.

My only thought is a 33-35' racer cruiser could be a lot of boat to learn to sail on. If you studied nautical science, the academic side should be a non issue for you and most any insurance company would recognise that as equal or above ASA, which is good for you as it could save you some bucks on courses. The problem is, you are still going to need to learn to sail from a practical perspective. Dinghy experience is a big plus.

$36k is a nice healthy budget, so that is a plus, you should be able to get something really nice for that.

Your basic plan sounds reasonable to me.
Thanks for your insights, and validations of my initial interest in C&C boats, and my projected purchasing budget.

I agree that a LOA < 33 ft is easier to learn with and manage initially, but I am also short on decades, so can only afford / have the time to get one boat.

FYI: I plan to take a couple of keelboat courses before my purchase, and then intersperse future classes with sailing experiences on my own boat.

post #24 of 45 Old 11-28-2016

I don't think it makes sense to buy a boat, put money into it, learn with it and the try to sell without taking a beating and find another larger to once again upgrade... they all need it.. or most do... Unless you move up to a much larger boat... there is no real difference in sailing and handling a 32' or a 36' or a 38'. But there could be a lot of difference in volume, stowage, head room... cockpit size and motion in a sea way. Of course, larger are more to maintain...

Once again... if I could start and essentially learn on a 36' with only very very very limited on water experience... YOU can do it as well. Look for a well found boat that the owner is forced to sell for some reason... divorce or moving... or something like that. I think it's a buyer's market. There are many good values to be had....and some boats hold value more than others.
post #25 of 45 Old 11-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBerry View Post
.....Question, do you regret being a long distance landlord, or is the hassle worth it to have that piece of real estate in your possession, and appreciating?
Well, I didn't say I regretted it, but it's not an easy way to make a buck or keep a property. First, it actually decline in value during the term that I owned it, then rebounded. At one point, I might have been upside down to what I owed. Second, there were years that it was a cash flow drain, when it needed a major repair. I learned this lesson. Your tenants will treat your property about two steps below how you do. Give them the slightest reason to say you didn't keep it perfect, or fix something quickly enough, and they'll treat the property as disposable.

When I decided to sell, I had to wait for the last tenant to vacate and literally gut the place. All carpets, interior doors and kitchen cabinetry. All new, along with paint and trim work. Tenants are brutal.

In your case, I might suggest to give it a try for a year, if you don't need to borrow money to buy the boat. If the boat doesn't work out, you can always move back. If you are certain you'll never move back to TN, in any circumstance, I would sell it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 45 Old 11-28-2016
Old enough to know better

Hey, I bought a C&C 33 in need of a lot of work but I own it outright, and am living aboard in New York, certainly not a tax-free state, but where I am. A few thoughts, C&C's are great sailing boats and made very well, but tend to be more "Racer/Cruiser" than "Cruiser/Racer" and that might not be a big deal for vacationing and short term cruises, but storage is tight. I still own a house that the X is living in so I can store stuff there. I would look for a boat that meets your living requirements first. You don't want a slug but the reality of it is for a liveabord sailing qualities may well not be the first concern. Get on as many boats as you can, including some bigger and some smaller than you want as well as some more than your budget and less. I am looking to move up soon. (If you want a really good deal on a C&C 33 project boat let me know) Also when you start to make your move, make sure you have a slip ready. Don't ask over the phone if they allow liveaboards, only ask in person. Show up well dressed, clean shaven and looking as professional as possible. Don't use the phrase liveaboard, but simply state that you will be staying aboard the boat much of the time. I would say I was retired, and want to have a boat as our base of operations where ever you are looking. Don't lie, but I would not use the phrase liveaboard as in many places it has a bad connotation.

$36,000 is a decent budget as long as your handy with repairs. Figure look for a boat listed in the 30,000 to 35,000 range and try to get it for mid to upper $20's so you have some repair and upgrade budget.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #27 of 45 Old 11-28-2016
cdy

Move to Florida and buy a boat here, skip the brokers and prowl craigslist and marinas, tons of unused sailboats where the owners have gotten older or passed away and family wants to get out of slip or storage payments - there are lots of used C&C's , Cal's, Ericsons that would fit the bill. Stay away from fixer uppers - looked for boats in good shape but just have not been updated - ones that don't have new electronics - that sort of thing - those are easily upgraded. You should be able to find a boat in good shape that fits your criteria for under $20K - liveaboard slip is going to cost you $12-$15 foot in average priced areas
post #28 of 45 Old 11-28-2016
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
Move to Florida and buy a boat here, skip the brokers and prowl craigslist and marinas, tons of unused sailboats where the owners have gotten older or passed away and family wants to get out of slip or storage payments - there are lots of used C&C's , Cal's, Ericsons that would fit the bill. Stay away from fixer uppers - looked for boats in good shape but just have not been updated - ones that don't have new electronics - that sort of thing - those are easily upgraded. You should be able to find a boat in good shape that fits your criteria for under $20K - liveaboard slip is going to cost you $12-$15 foot in average priced areas

I live up in the Adirondacks and the used car dealers never sell cars from the area.. The reason is road salt... vehicles don't last long here.

I wonder, isn't there a similar problem/situation in Florida? Wouldn't it be better to buy a 'fresh water' boat from the great lakes and sail it down there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #29 of 45 Old 11-29-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

You sound like me... to some extent, when I as 25.. I decided I wanted to live on a sailboat, when I had never been on a say boat. I still was thinking this after owning a 13 ft. boat, but that was nowhere close to living on a sailboat.

Not clear if you have any sailing experience. but it might be a good idea to find a marina and see if you can crew on a boat. Might give you some insight to what kind of boat you may want... maybe a smaller boat would work for you.

Do you have or need a job? is it something you can do from a boat?
I have enough sailing experience, i.e., dinghies, and crewing aboard a brigantine, and barquentine for a summer, to know that I love sailing. And although I have wanted to live aboard a sailboat since I was in my early 20s, it was never possible due to educational goals, career, and marriage. However, none of these inhibiting factors exist anymore, so here I am in this forum seeking input.

Can I do work from a boat? I wish, however I took an early retirement - for less money of course - from a very stressful job, but did so, because in my former line of work, retirees, especially males, tend to die within a few years of 'pulling the plug'. Many want more money, I prefer a chance to live longer.

Your idea about crewing is a good one, and something that I have been thinking about. In fact, I plan to take one or two basic keelboat courses in Spring 2017, and then hope to find crewing opportunities for deliveries, and races.

Question: What are some of the better ways of finding crewing opportunities, other than just showing up at seaside marinas and asking? I currently live in east TN, and I can't do that.

Are there websites that advertise potential crewing opportunities?
post #30 of 45 Old 11-29-2016

There must be some keelboat lake sailing in TN. Much easier to get a spot as rail meat for a few hours, than a delivery spot for multiple days. When you're not returning to shore, the stakes are higher that you become a liability. Neither of you know if you'll be seasick or hate each other. Deliver gigs are hard to get, without a resume and references. However, there is always hope. There is a crew wanted forum on this website.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Tags
fractional rig , keel stepped , keel-steped , newbie

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in