Want to Purchase by Fall 2018 - Page 4 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 11-29-2016
arrgh!

Dock
Re: Want to Purchase by Fall 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBerry View Post
** -- snip --- }

Question: What are some of the better ways of finding crewing opportunities, other than just showing up at seaside marinas and asking? I currently live in east TN, and I can't do that.

Are there websites that advertise potential crewing opportunities?
I think the others here can be more helpful with this.

But a couple suggestions

1) call the local sailing club, if three is one. Tell them your interest and see if they can connect you to a captain

2) look at https://www.meetup.com/ for your area

3) maybe place an ad on Craigslist

take a sailing vacation where you learn to sail as well (I think this has been suggested a couple times)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 11-29-2016
Dirt Free

Forget about spending money on learning how to sail .... it ain't rocket science and you can learn (with help) from people you meet wherever you end up. Spend your money on a small diesel course and a marine electrical course.
Boats are complicated and having to pay a yard guy $100/hr for four hours to install a battery switch and the myriad of other small jobs will break the bank in a hurry. Take a look at Marine Survey 101, it may give you some idea as to what you may be up against.

Life is too short not to go for it but a little preparation is wise.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #33 of 45 Old 11-29-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I chime in... w/ my experience. I started my interest in sailing at 38 after a friend with a 31 sailboat asked me to help him with Spring prep and then asked me to partner with him on a 48'. I was enchanted enough to take sailing lessons and buy and read a dozen books and sailing and cruising and attend shows and immerse myself in a new world previously unknown to me. The cost of my learning efforts were not very much.

Before I purchased; Offshore school of Sailing; Learn to Sail - 3 day course, Books and mags, boat shows - cost $500

Friend backed out of the deal so armed with a little bit of knowledge and a LOT of interest I decided to buy a boat and went to the same broker who had a new 36' from the same builder as the 48'. It seemed huge and intimidating. My buddy and the surveyor told me the boat was fine. So with less than a few weeks of on water experience, I bought Shiva, a new 36' fractional rig. YIKES. I had money saved and thought this was great way to spend it. I paid 50% and got a mortgage. I was still working.

After I purchased - more books and mags and courses at the NY Planetarium in navigation, coastal, celestial, meteorology and so on - cost $500.

I sailed as much as I could with the expectation that one day I could sail to the Tropics. I upgraded the boat with all manner of equipment over the first 6 years, AP, refer, nav gear, radar, windlass, ground tackle, heating, solar panels, storm sails raft and so on... This was perhaps another $15,000.

Final test for me was to do offshore work. I entered the Marion Bermuda race in 91 with friend and the broker who sold me the boat and a few others. It cost about $1,500 (guess as I forgot). The race was not the point, the experience was. We hit some very very bad weather. Boat was fine... crew was all seasick! I was ready!

After giving most of my things away to charity and friends... I headed south 6 months after returning from the Bermuda... and moved aboard. I did not intend to remain a full time live aboard when I left. I had no long term plans other than to cruise and see what would develop. Lived aboard for 4 or 5 years having spent my savings and was forced to resume work in my former profession - architecture. Kept the boat... even listed it for sale for a few months when it looked too expensive to keep... but things changed got married and now we weekend sail and do some longer cruises. Not selling the boat. We talked about moving aboard and retiring in the tropics... Grand kids seem to be the present barrier.

I recommend to older salts that they use mechanical and electrical crew whenever possible... windlass, AP, furling systems, and an electric winch or similar for lifting... sails, motors, dinks and so on. Spirit remains but strength departs.

If I could do it... you can do it. PLAN AHEAD.... You've got a huge advantage now...

Good luck!
Really appreciate that feedback, especially because you started out with, and still have that 38 footer. Like you, a 30 something foot boat does not intimidate me, and I also plan to take the basic keelboat courses before my purchase, and then practice, practice, practice, and slowly increase the challenges in small increments.

post #34 of 45 Old 11-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Forget about spending money on learning how to sail .... it ain't rocket science and you can learn (with help) from people you meet wherever you end up. Spend your money on a small diesel course and a marine electrical course.
Boats are complicated and having to pay a yard guy $100/hr for four hours to install a battery switch and the myriad of other small jobs will break the bank in a hurry. Take a look at Marine Survey 101, it may give you some idea as to what you may be up against.

Life is too short not to go for it but a little preparation is wise.
Good advice! Learned that lesson this year having a fuel pump installed.

Any recommendations for a course in Toronto?

Thanks!
Chris
post #35 of 45 Old 11-29-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
Good advice! Learned that lesson this year having a fuel pump installed.

Any recommendations for a course in Toronto?

Thanks!
Chris
Call my buddy Craig Morley. He is a SAMS Accredited surveyor and a licensed diesel mechanic. Craig runs diesel courses a couple of time a year at Mimico Cruising Club.

We are currently in Lucaya

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
DBerry (11-30-2016), Ninefingers (11-29-2016)
post #36 of 45 Old 11-29-2016
May God Bless You

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Call my buddy Craig Morley. Craig runs diesel courses a couple of time a year at Mimico Cruising Club.
Do you know of any courses in Montreal? Or would Nigel Calders book be a good alternative?
thanks
jon
The Following User Says Thank You to longjonsilver For This Useful Post:
DBerry (11-30-2016)
post #37 of 45 Old 11-29-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Do you know of any courses in Montreal? Or would Nigel Calders book be a good alternative?
thanks
jon
Sorry Jon, don't know of anyone in Montreal but almost every community college has one.
Nigel's book is excellent except where he states that algae can grow in diesel fuel, this is biologically impossible.
DBerry likes this.

post #38 of 45 Old 11-29-2016

You might contact or put a notice on this and other sailing forums that you are willing to do spring prep work for free... essentially to get experience and learning and probably end up with an invite to crew. I don't like a lot of the Spring prep work but I do enjoy chatting with other sailors who have come to work on their boats... most of whom I didn't know before. And these salts will give me a hand if I ask for something usually. Very friendly knowledgeable bunch of people. Unfortunately once we get splashed and not in close proximity we usually lose touch, but not always.

My own introduction to boats began in a boat yard doing Spring prep for an old friend who rewarded me with an offer to sail. And so it began.

Lodging may be a problem but you might be able to get an offer to stay on board on the hard during the work and if you meet other sailors maybe work for them for a bit too and soon you'll have a bunch of invites and a lot of hands on boat maintenance experience. Most owners would welcome a hand. Give it a try and tell us how it works out.
DBerry likes this.
post #39 of 45 Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The recommendation was for neither. However, I have seen these courses take a complete zero to a fairly competent fair weather sailor in just that amount of time. My wife, in particular. I was amazed. Of course, she had the opportunity to put her training to immediate use, which is the real trick to fast learning. Naturally, there is a lot more to foul weather, offshore survival and boat maintenance that these course don't touch.

Nevertheless, the purpose of the recommendation was for the OP to have the experience of living aboard and sailing for a week, as we're discussing someone who plans sell their house and move aboard with no experience doing so. You cook, clean, sail and sleep aboard, with no vacation break, other than an occasional meal ashore. I think it's a pretty good way to quickly determine if the dream and reality are aligned.
Yep, exactly why I want to take those intro courses. Once I buy my boat, and get a few months of sailing under my belt, then I want to take some NAV courses, including learning to use a sextant. I am really looking forward to mastering that traditional mariners tool, plotting my course on paper charts, and then comparing my position with a GPS plotter.

Last edited by DBerry; 11-30-2016 at 02:33 AM.
post #40 of 45 Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
You might contact or put a notice on this and other sailing forums that you are willing to do spring prep work for free... essentially to get experience and learning and probably end up with an invite to crew. I don't like a lot of the Spring prep work but I do enjoy chatting with other sailors who have come to work on their boats... most of whom I didn't know before. And these salts will give me a hand if I ask for something usually. Very friendly knowledgeable bunch of people. Unfortunately once we get splashed and not in close proximity we usually lose touch, but not always.

My own introduction to boats began in a boat yard doing Spring prep for an old friend who rewarded me with an offer to sail. And so it began.

Lodging may be a problem but you might be able to get an offer to stay on board on the hard during the work and if you meet other sailors maybe work for them for a bit too and soon you'll have a bunch of invites and a lot of hands on boat maintenance experience. Most owners would welcome a hand. Give it a try and tell us how it works out.
Wow, great suggestions on how to get to know the old salts, and maybe get some crew offers. Think I'll try that in a few months here at my local lakeside marina. * Just emailed my local marina with offer of FREE help this coming Spring. *

Last edited by DBerry; 11-30-2016 at 02:56 AM.

Tags
fractional rig , keel stepped , keel-steped , newbie

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in