Want to Purchase by Fall 2018 - Page 5 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Want to Purchase by Fall 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
I think the others here can be more helpful with this.

But a couple suggestions

1) call the local sailing club, if three is one. Tell them your interest and see if they can connect you to a captain

2) look at https://www.meetup.com/ for your area

3) maybe place an ad on Craigslist

take a sailing vacation where you learn to sail as well (I think this has been suggested a couple times)
Thanks for the advice, will check into that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
My advice would be to buy a boat that costs 20K max. That will limit your risk and give you extra cushion for unexpected expenses (you can definitely expect them).
As to the choice of the boat: C&C had a lot of good boats so it is a good start but I would spend as much time as possible looking at boats in real life. They do look different up close. It's a buyers market for used sailboats these days so you can afford to be picky.
And last thing: DON"T BUY A PROJECT BOAT.
You will spend too much time and money fixing it. There are plenty of decent boats out there.
I will definitely keep your budget advice in mind, however, I can promise you here, and now that I will not buy a project boat.
post #43 of 45 Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I wouldn't recommend any radical life style change. Learn to sail... crew on other boats... look around with a broker at boats... visit docks and other boats and chat up sailors and ask questions. Don't rush into a boat and sell your house and move aboard lickity split. Take some time... this is an important decision and many other smaller decisions follow on from that one.

++++

Shiva is a fractional rig. She has a 130 genny and a rather large main. I now use a Milwaukee with a winch bit to raise the sail and this makes it effortless. Same with the electric windless. Anchoring is not a chore or a physical challenge.

Shiva has some slight weather helm but she can sail on her own if sails are trimmed right in moderate winds... with no one on the helm. The fractional rig and her high free board make her restless at anchor. I use a riding sail often to cut the yawing. Trimming the 130 is not a problem with the winches we have. She sails OK with main alone . But the mainsail needs a 8:1 and 4:1 main sheet. I don't think the same hull with a masthead rig sails much differently. I'd love to find out however. The fractional rig is taller too with a bendier mast.

I don't think fractional v masthead is the main consideration for OP.... more accommodation plan and simply learning how to sail and maintain and live on a sailboat...and how to get from complete novice to comfortable as a live aboard.
Thanks for the input about fractional vs mast-stepped rigs, and will focus on the other things you mentioned.

post #44 of 45 Old 11-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBerry View Post
Wow, great suggestions on how to get to know the old salts, and maybe get some crew offers. Think I'll try that in a few months here at my local lakeside marina. * Just emailed my local marina with offer of FREE help this coming Spring. *
I have a two man project to replace the teak rub rails on both sides. Teak is in the shop... I await Spring haul out to remove the existing and replace and of course the bottom. And then setting up the boat again... putting on the sails, running rigging, reefing lines and so forth. I then have to sail (175mi) from New Rochelle NY to Portsmouth RI to swap the dink for a new one. If these *adventures* interest you, please contact me via PM.
DBerry likes this.

Last edited by SanderO; 11-30-2016 at 07:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SanderO For This Useful Post:
DBerry (11-30-2016)
post #45 of 45 Old 11-30-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I have a two man project to replace the teak run rails on both sides. Teak is in the shop... I await Spring haul out to remove the existing and replace and of course the bottom. And then setting up the boat again... putting on the sails, running rigging, reefing lines and so forth. I then have to sail (175mi) from New Rochelle NY to Portsmouth RI to sway the dink for a new one. If these *adventures* interest you, please contact me via PM.
Sounds great, and if my upcoming job retraining doesn't interfere with your haul out, I'd be more than happy to help - for FREE - just to get that invaluable experience.

Tags
fractional rig , keel stepped , keel-steped , newbie

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in