advice on first boat - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 02-15-2017 Thread Starter

Re: advice on first boat

everyone seems to agree that handlng a small 22 is very good to learn (and fun) . .if i can steal one for cheap, i get to be on the water. learn from her until i grow out of it. sounds like a plan.

and i can keep looking around for a 30 footer in the same time ,since i did not brake the bank , no rush.

thank you for your valuable input.

bon vent a tous !
Towguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 02-15-2017

Hello and Welcome!

You will find a typical progression is to start small (18-22') then move to something bigger (around 30) and then something even bigger (35-40). Of course not everyone does this, but it makes sense. If you buy an older boat in good condition and keep it that way, you will get most of you money back when you sell.

My story:
Used to have a motorhome and did some camping on the north east with my family (wife and 3 young kids). In 2003, after wasting too much time in traffic trying to get back on Long Island after a weekend in PA we decided to give sailing a try. I did some research and in August bought an older Catalina 22. I spent around $3500 for the boat (and trailer) in ready to sail condition. We spent the rest of 2003 learning to sail and having a lot of fun. That first year we trailer sailed the boat - trailer the boat to the marina, rig it, launch it, sail it, recover, un rig and trailer home. Sailing was great, trailering stunk. In 2004 I got a mooring in Mt. Sinai harbor and that made sailing much more fun. We sailed that boat all spring 2004 and I was hooked. By June I (thought I) knew what I was doing and wanted a boat big enough to spend weekends on. The Catalina 22 had a small cabin that the kids (2. 5. 8 at the time) could nap, play, relax in, but was way too small to overnight on. So at the end of June I bought a Newport 28. This was a 'big boat' with inboard diesel, real marine head, pressure hot and cold water, galley, bunks for 5, wheel steering, roller furler, etc. We had a lot fun with that boat and sailed to Milford Ct, Northport NY, Mattituck, Bridgeport, etc. The Newport was great for a night or two, but too small for a week (which was my next plan). Sailed the Newport for 3 years and then bought an O'day 35 at the end of 2006. The 35 had plenty of space for 5 people for up to a week. We sailed that boat from NYC to Block Island and everywhere in between. For my use, a boat around 35' is the perfect size. Small enough to single hand, and maintain myself (mostly). Big enough for 4-6 people to get away for a few days. Capable of sailing in some bad weather, enough tankage, etc. In 2013 I sold the O'day and bought my current boat, a C&C 110. This boat will keep me happy until I retire. Then, with some luck, I will get something around 42' to spend a month or so aboard in places like Maine in summer or the carib in winter.

Some random thoughts:
Sailboats are slow! So a 100 mile trip in a boat is a LONG trip (especially for someone just starting). Gardiners bay in a FANTASTIC place to sail. There are so many places near by you could easily spend a few years and never be more than 100 miles from home.

You should check out the Peconic Bay Sailing Association
https://www.pbsa.us/

Where are you going to keep the boat? Make sure you get that done before you buy anything. Slip? Mooring? Trailer?

Don't get hung on any particular brand. Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau, Jeanneau, O'day, Newport, Pearson, C&C, Tartan, Watkins, Precision, etc. - they are all MOSTLY the same. Some are better, some are worse. My suggestion is to start playing around on yachtworld and look at lots of pictures. Then ask more questions.

Have fund and good luck,
Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandrookie View Post
everyone seems to agree that handlng a small 22 is very good to learn (and fun) . .if i can steal one for cheap, i get to be on the water. learn from her until i grow out of it. sounds like a plan.

and i can keep looking around for a 30 footer in the same time ,since i did not brake the bank , no rush.

bon vent a tous !
JoCoSailor likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-15-2017
Freedom Chip Counter

post #14 of 27 Old 02-15-2017

I was going to suggest a Catalina 22 until I saw the $60k number. You could almost buy a C22 with the interest on $60ků..

It is a great boat to learn on. It's big enough to have a bit of that big boat feel, but small enough that you don't really need the winches and you can manhandle it around the dock.

I spend the night frequently on mine. When my wife joins me it starts to get a bit crowded, but it's doable.

And I use a Minn Kota trolling motor as my auxiliary propulsion. Works great.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #15 of 27 Old 02-15-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandrookie View Post

bon vent a tous !
If you can find one used (or really if you can't) a Seascape 18 would be very, very high on my list. Fantastic boats, decent price, and much more comfortable than something like the Catalina 22 to sail. With just enough cabin to sleep on if you choose. It also has a lifting keel so trailoring it is a piece of cake.

Greg
post #16 of 27 Old 02-15-2017
Fortuitous

I wish I had a $60,000 budget for my third boat.

I started out on a Catalina 22 also, and thought that it was just about perfect for me. I'm not sure how protected Gardiners Bay is though...it looks somewhat exposed, but I've never been there. Catalina 22's get increasingly less fun as wave heights build. I guess all boats do, but the C22 gets exciting quickly in any kind of sea. I'd talk to the locals about what they started out with to get an idea of the proper scale for your home waters.

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-15-2017
Fortuitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
a Seascape 18 would be very, very high on my list. Fantastic boats, decent price, and much more comfortable than something like the Catalina 22 to sail.
I think our ideas of comfort are very different. How are you supposed to make daiquiris when you're hiking out?
Minnesail likes this.

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:
post #18 of 27 Old 02-15-2017

If I wanted a learner boat I could cover some miles on, imight consider something with a keel.

Something like a shark will be forgiving to learn on, okay for an over night for just you, and will be fun to race for years to come and still have $57000 left over when your bigger boat happens along.

Or you could go with something even smaller like suggested above.

Small boat sailing is fun.

Edit:. I'm not sure I agree a progression from small boat to big boat is any kind of logical progression, I think owning the best boat/boats for your needs/wants at any given time is a sensible progression.

However, I do agree it makes sense to learn on a smaller boat before going out and purchasing a large boat.

Last edited by Arcb; 02-15-2017 at 06:00 PM.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-15-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Moore 24 - Webb Chiles seems to like his "GANNET".

Not sure that Webb Chiles is the right paradigm for most of us.. He sailed most of the way around the world solo on an 18 foot open yawl...
DRASCOMBE LUGGER sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #20 of 27 Old 02-15-2017 Thread Starter

hi there is a lots of 22 for less hen 5 k , but they are 30 years old, now do i have to expect to put a lots of money into them before going sailing , becuas eif tha tis the case then i may as well buy sometihng newer, justnot sure what is the life spam of a rig and the different hardware ect

also the they seems to all have outboard engine n this size range , so in this case how do i power and the few electronics on board. and recharge battery?

thank you

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in