Father of 2. - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Gail Peterson
  • 1 Post By Hudsonian

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-27-2017 Thread Starter

Father of 2.

Hi there, I am an active duty father of two (4yo and 1yo). My wife and I are getting into sailing with the idea of long term cruising in about 10 years. Yes a lot could happen and these plans may not pan out but its best to get started now and be prepared. We currently live on Whidbey Island in the northern Puget sound, and do not have a boat although I think we are looking to buy one soon. I am definitely looking for other sailing families in the area to learn from, or even just hang out with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-27-2017

Re: Father of 2.

Join a sailing club there.
Done....
Nice people.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-27-2017

Being on AD with 2 young children, I would personally suggest that you join a local sailing club and start asking around for opportunities to crew on other people's boats to learn the art of sailing.

This will allow you to visit several different types of boats so you can make a very informed decision when it does come time to purchase your own. Also, crewing for others will not cause additional hardship to your young family during your deployments--it does take a quite bit of time and work to keep a boat well maintained.
FSJunky and svmariah like this.

1973 Pearson 39 "Brandy"

post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Peterson View Post
Being on AD with 2 young children, I would personally suggest that you join a local sailing club and start asking around for opportunities to crew on other people's boats to learn the art of sailing.

This will allow you to visit several different types of boats so you can make a very informed decision when it does come time to purchase your own. Also, crewing for others will not cause additional hardship to your young family during your deployments--it does take a quite bit of time and work to keep a boat well maintained.
I am strongly considering this also as a way to help boost money for the cruising kitty. Is there anything that hanging out at the yacht club can't teach that owning a boat will?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-01-2017

In your sailing career you will likely experience challenges to which you don't know the answers. You generally work through these challenges with perserverence, common sense, and good luck. Owning your own boat and sailing by yourself will probably expose you to more of those challenges.
FSJunky likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-01-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks that's great advice, also this is my 10th post. so Yaay. (although I have been stalking the boards extensively I find the awncers to most of my questions without posting.)
post #7 of 7 Old 05-02-2017

If you just hang around the yacht club or marina and don't really get involved, then you probably will not pick much up. However, if you become engaged by offering to crew for others for the weekly fun races or to help someone working on a project, then you'll be able to learn just as much or more than just by owning a boat alone.

The only potential problem area I really see in your situation is that by being AD, you have very little control of your long-term schedule. You may be home for months or a couple of years and then be asked to ship out to points unknown in a moment's notice. What do you do with that boat then? Is your wife willing to keep up with the boat maintenance while raising 2 young children when you're deployed?

Some sailing clubs and military bases have sailboats for rental. When I was stationed at DLI many moons ago, we were able to rent Catalina 22s for up to 3 days at a time through the MWR program. Check around and see what's in your area for these types of offerings.

Also, thank you for your service!

1973 Pearson 39 "Brandy"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in