Hey Guys Total Newbies Here (Down to to boats) - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 05-01-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Hey Guys Total Newbies Here (Down to to boats)

Yes, the 331.

Survey is tomorrow!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 05-01-2017

Enjoy your new home on the water...

Serious list:
1. Get real about major mechanical/ like the keel bolt, survey revealing any cracks in the hull, water leaking from the topside (a disaster), rudder & steerage, bad sails. Get the basics right: solid hull/ solid mast/ solid sails/ solid engine/ rudder/ standing rigging.

2. Less serious: after your purchase, and before you go crazy, sit down and BREATHE! Survey the boat yourself, or with an old hand, and write every problem down.... then prioritize them, and STOP DEAD IN YOUR TRACKS... don't spend a dime if it's not broken.
Next stop if the basics are already in order: STORM SAILS. Safety equipment. Save your own lives.

3. A good tender, and know when your fuel tanks were last cleaned out/ new filters for your engine.

4. Think very carefully about your prioritized fix-it list, give every item "you need" slow-brewed consideration.
Staying financially liquid for your (oh ****! it just broke) items, is far more important than jumping in and spending $$$ to make it perfect. If it's not broken... DON'T FIX IT! Wait... at least 6 months before you buy anything else... your perspective will undergo massive change in the next 6 months as you (really) come to know your boat.

Not so serious list:

1 Congratulate yourself. Throw parties. Invite friends... Don't invite any more friends after the parties. Love each other, and sleep in on the boat.

2 Plan your first real trip after 6 months aboard shaking her down... GO SOMEWHERE!

3 Go blind. Never look at another sailboat. It'll make you sick, and you'll keep chasing a dream of "bigger," or "better".
You've already bought Nirvana.... Have gratitude for your amazingly great fortune. Live what you bought. It is highly unlikely that you will ever be able to sell it. After you have a kid, your first thought should not be to put it up for adoption!!

You are incredibly fortunate... post this statement somewhere in your boat, and remind yourself of it.
Good dreams require maintenance...

4. Put a new carrot in front of you. Mission achieved! What's next?

C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S!!!

Bill
RegisteredUser and AJC506 like this.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-10-2017 Thread Starter

Well we closed today

We can't post links or images yet

It is the 2004 331 that was in Norwalk by Brewer Yacht Sales

Now we have to get it to Haverstraw NY

post #14 of 21 Old 05-10-2017

this one, About Time?

2004 Beneteau 331 Boats for Sale - Brewer Yacht Sales

Congratulations, looks beautiful.

Lippincott 30, Sea Chase 2
post #15 of 21 Old 05-10-2017 Thread Starter

Yes

Thanks for posting it

We are super excited
post #16 of 21 Old 05-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrimpt View Post
I agree with Towguy. $8K for a much younger boat is short money. Also, the reviews I read of the 350 weren't very inspiring. Seems not enough sail for light winds and way too much sail for strong winds.

Do get caught up in all the hype over extra equipment. Think seaworthiness and performance first.

See:

Good luck,

Shrimp
???? Too little sail for light winds and too much for heavy???? How does that work??

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #17 of 21 Old 05-13-2017

OP that is a very nice looking boat, congratulations. Reminds me a lot of mine as it's the same make and vintage and similar size! (Mine's a 323).

I like what Papasail had to say a few posts above. What I'm finding is that simply using the boat kindles your interest in that specific boat and diminishes or eliminates entirely the tendency to wistfully think about other boats. I'm really enjoying mine (now into my third year of ownership) and even though I don't live right where she is, I'm using her a lot more than my previous boat. It's no knock on my previous boat, she was great, but I was a crappy neglectful owner of her and resolved to be much better with this one. Not only have I done my previous daysails which I love, but I've now gone on three multiday expeditions with her including an overnight international race! She's done great for me, my friends and my family and by using her I know her systems much better than I did my previous boat, and I'm focused in fixes and improvements I need to make to that specific boat and not worried about other bigger or "nicer" boats, I just want to do the things I can to THIS boat to make her as close to perfect for my needs as I can.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-13-2017

How exciting! Congratulations. It's pretty cool to look at the ad and see that sold sign and hear the story about the people who actually bought it.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-14-2017

Yes,that's a very nice ,clean looking boat,hope you get lots of years of pleasure from it,,,congrats.......post pics of your first sail trip....Ralph

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 21 Old 05-14-2017

Welcome and Hello

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in