Just joined, already have a question about tie-offs in rough water & using a lift - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 06-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdeming View Post
...... But the fender question is valid---I have several in the boat, but the dock hass posts outside of the dock deck--so the posts are the first thing that would hit the boat, and a fender wouldn't prevent it.

...this outward post issue, that seems to make fenders useless,...
Cheers, Rich
Fenders come in different sizes. Get some that are bigger in diameter than the posts. At your own dock, you can put bumper pads an the posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 06-20-2017

Re: Just joined, already have a question about tie-offs in rough water & using a lift

Quote:
......I am wondering if anyone has a good solution to this outward post issue, that seems to make fenders useless, because where I pull up to get gas and at my favorite restaurant up the ICW, I have the same issue---fenders seem irrelevant because the boat will hit the post regardless....
The solution is a fender board.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/new...s-10681-1.html
fallard and StarwindMango like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-20-2017

Re: Just joined, already have a question about tie-offs in rough water & using a lift

Quote:
The video is at: youtube dot com/watch?v=juYu6_6N4Bs

SNIP. . . the bottom attachment on the rudder had broken loose, and and I got to the end of the dock just in time to catch it before the top bracket sheared off as well. . . SNIP
In the video I see that your rudder is flopping around, which is why it was damaged. BTDT. I began securing my tiller to one side to limit rudder movement.

Hope the new, calm, slip works out.

All the best. . .

post #14 of 16 Old 06-20-2017

From your description it sounds like you are the north side of the Pamlico River, sticking right out in it. Its a beautiful place, but your dock will be hammered in the predominantly SW winds from spring through early fall. This weekend was a perfect example, and your video shows it.

If it were me, I'd enjoy the view but find a protected place to keep the boat.

edit ... ahh I see that you have already. Right on.

As others have said, do secure the tiller (and the wheel when you get that larger boat) anytime you secure the boat. Even in your new protected slip, I believe its good practice to lock down the rudder when you are not underway, at anchor or at the dock.

you are in a great place to sail! It's a fun trip to sail down to Oriental from where you are. You can tie up at either of the free docks, anchor in the harbor, or get a slip. The free docks feature free pump out (when its working) and bathrooms. its a long day from wades point though ... 40 miles?

Ocrackoke also very fun, also around 40 miles. At ocracoke tie up at the park service docks (not free but have power and bathrooms). Or anchor out, or get a slip at the marina if you'll want showers. plan on a long weekend. rent a bike. visit the museum, the lighthouse, springer point, the horses. great fun.

Ditto Manteo, although I havent been there in years. many years ... but now you have me thinking ...

And closer trips for you, Bellhaven, Washington, Bath.

and lots of beautiful desolate anchorages if thats your thing.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #15 of 16 Old 07-04-2017 Thread Starter

Location: Wades Point, intersection of Pungo River and Pamilco Sound, on the ICW, North Carolina

I love that fender board---hadn't seen one in my limited time around marinas. Next project in the shop!

I am curious why most piers/dock out here at the inner banks are built this way. Most of my experience around water was around FL, and I don't remember this problem.

Rich Deming
Pamlico Sound, NC

1984 22' Seaward
post #16 of 16 Old 07-04-2017 Thread Starter

Location: Wades Point, intersection of Pungo River and Pamilco Sound, on the ICW, North Carolina

Thanks for the advice! I guess my intuition was wrong on that tiller issue (noticed two suggestions that it be tied off). The wave pressure was coming so hard from one side or the other (estuary, goes hard one way and then the other), that I was afraid tying it off would put it under even more strain. Oh, well, as noted, moot point since we decided to move it to a calm slip, though I will start tying it off there.

Speaking of Belhaven, we are getting ready to get in the boat now to sail over for the 4th of July parade and a party. If anyone is cruising down the ICW, and would like a nice break, I can't recommend Belhaven enough. There is a restaurant there that easily compares with the best in NC (yes, even the Chef & Farmer in Kinston, which is the rage now because of the Chef's Life PBS show). spoonrivernc.com It's a block from the town marina along with a lot of other shops and restaurants. I was shocked to find it in the middle of nowhere when I moved here. Two other marinas with supplies, and at the local grocery store--a mile or so from the marina, the manager surprised us the other day by approaching and asking if we cruised in, because he always gives people from the marina a ride back. Very boater friendly place. Just check the hours--Mon-Thursday mid-day it's a bit desolate.

Last question--if you were going to sail down to Oriental, would you go by ICW or around the Sound? Been looking at day trips and the ICW looks nice and wide but I'm not familiar with the niceties of sailing on it. Thanks!

Rich Deming
Pamlico Sound, NC

1984 22' Seaward

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in