SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Greetings from New York (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/287929-greetings-new-york.html)

jp_r 06-18-2017 03:04 PM

Greetings from New York

Hi Everybody-

I grew up in Florida and spent a fair amount of time around boats, both power and sail. I relocated to the Northeast many years ago for college and haven't done much in the way of sailing since.

I've always wanted to get back out on the water. A little over a year ago, a friend and I took the basic keelboat course at Manhattan Sailing School. It was great and now I'm looking forward to getting some more experience. The plan is to join one of the sailing clubs here in New York City (soon).

Any advice will be gladly excepted!

jp

Ranger-26-Duluth 06-18-2017 05:18 PM

Re: Greetings from New York

Hi JP R,

Great to hear you are joining in a fantastic spot / lifestyle.

New York is a great place to start, also.

You might want to start looking at a couple of websites to get the lay of the land about sailboats on the market, from super cheap fixer-upers to more expensive models.

I have enjoyed doing this for over a decade and look very often, just for fun, learning new things about old boats.

Besides Craigslist under boats for sale, I really enjoy checking out sailboatlistings.com and sailingtexas.com (not just Texas).

I am currently looking for my 5th sailboat - total fun.

You might check some Youtubes for sailing around NYC - Hellgate is an interesting area to work with currents from what I hear.

Enjoy (as I am sure you will)<

Gregg

jp_r 06-18-2017 06:29 PM

Thanks, for the site recommendations, Gregg! I'm not in the market for a boat, yet, but it's never too early to look and dream.

I don't think I'll be attempting to sail through Hellgate until I've gotten a bit more experience :)

jp

JimsCAL 06-18-2017 08:07 PM

In addition to NYC, there are sailing clubs and and schools on City Island and in Port Washington on Long Island Sound.

Another option is to get hooked as crew on a race boat. Racing skippers are always looking for crew. You will have to be flexible and be willing to do the tasks you are asked, but it is a cheap way to get out on the water.

jeremiahbltz2 06-19-2017 12:02 PM

Semi-plug, I'm a happy member of Hudson River Community Sailing. They have a fleet of 15ish J/24s, two locations (26th st and Inwood), and are very friendly and learning-oriented. The price is quite reasonable, and there are boats going out every day. You definitely don't want to buy a boat in NYC, there are tons of sailing clubs, and getting your own mooring/slip is expensive.

jp_r 06-19-2017 09:33 PM

@JimsCAL , thank you for the advice, I'll keep my ears open for racing skippers looking for crew.

@jeremiahbltz2 , Thanks for the recommendation, I had asked about Hudson River Community Sailing on the Learning to Sail forum. I'm glad to hear they are active.

jp

Vikram 06-20-2017 03:57 PM

North Cove Sailing | Sailing School & Club New York City
I am the member of this club and having awesome time. Best location if you live in manhattan. Its located near brookefield mall.

CalebD 06-20-2017 05:14 PM

Welcome to SailNut.

In NYC the cheapest sailing club is: SailNY - New York City's Community Sailing Association
They sail 27' Solings out of Weehawken iirc.

jp_r 06-20-2017 09:05 PM

Thanks, @Vikram . I near North Cove. If you're having an awesome time, can I assume you're able to get on a boat pretty easily?

Thanks, @CalebD . I hadn't looked at SailNY. They are very affordable, I'll keep them in mind.

jp