Hello SailNet! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 10-20-2017
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Welcone, Day1! You do not want to buy a $100K boat and proceed to rip everything out in a few years. Get a solidly-built 80s project boat, if you want to do that. I bought my 38-footer almost 5 years ago as a newbie sailor and a single person, so it can be done, but it's a steep learning curve. I think it worked for me because I love everything about sailing and was willing to invest a huge time in the learning process by getting a larger boat than I could manage in the beginning, but one I knew I wanted in the future. I can also easily singlehanded my boat so I don't have to ask someone to come with me when I need to fuel up or pump out, or move it across the bay for maintenance work. It was also built in 1988 and had never been upgraded. I wouldn't think anyone with any sanity would ever want to do that unless it was absolutely needed. Ask anyone who's done a refit what they think. Good luck!
seabeau likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 10-20-2017
Lake Sailor

Re: Hello SailNet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by day1player View Post
I am looking forward to ripping everything in the boat out and apart over the years while owning her. I am very good in mechanics and electrical, plumbing I can learn. I've heard to estimate around 10-15% of the boats value per year in maintenance, is that true for your Bene?
My 235 has an outboard that is only a couple years old. Will be spending about $3K in the off season to have the bottom and keel soda blasted, faired and repainted with VC-17. Biggest expense since I spent about $2500 on new sails and a furler when I bought her 3 year ago. I have made improvements to the boat each year. traveller, jib cars.... Might look at new sails again next season or the one after as these are getting a bit beat up. Had some headsail tears that cost me $400 to fix. I do most everything myself too so technically my labor is free. I did some bottom work this past spring but, you can only get so far on a trailer in your driveway. So I am going to pay to get it completely redone.

Not sure on the calculation, I try not to pay too much attention to the total cost for things. If I did add it all up, I would probably fall over. It's a good number for budgeting but, boats and budgets, like boats and schedules, just don't get along.

I spent $10K for her and I probably spend at least a grand a year on something or other. Spinnaker stuff is coming.....

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by day1player View Post
I've actually stepped foot on this boat to look at it, she is very beautiful! The broker I'm working with says I might like an oceanis better because of the cruising aspects. I am looking to eventually take the boat sailing out to Catalina with friends and such.

This seems like a good price for this boat too no? I've seen several Bene's from 95-2005 selling for 90-100k and this one which is practically brand new is going for 110k.

Boat prices are confusing.
The fun factor. the Beneteau first series is a way better sailing boat then the Oceans. it is made to sail well and the others are made to be cruised. The First series comes with all the sailing stuff that you will want to add to an Oceanis. Boating is a little different here in so cal. mostly wind is light so not much use to build a boat to do heavy wind sailing. we don't pull the boat for winter so most projects are done with the boat in the water unless you really need it out of the water you don't, it cost to much. there is little on the hard storage to work on a boat, this makes restoring a boat very expensive. this also makes getting a newer boat a much better deal. not having to work on it means more sailing. the newer boat will require no up grades, parts are still available so if you need to repair something it is simple R&R not a full blown retrofit project. every boat project will take three times the time you think it will and all the while you have the boat out of the water you are still paying for the in water storage. I have done many boats over the years and there was a day when buying a older boat was more economical then it is today. Parts and labor are out of control so buying a boat that is already equipped with the best equipment is really a better deal. pay 10K more and not have to retrofit or save the 10k and spend 20k and all your time to do the retrofit. DIY will save you money over having the work done. but if you don't have to do the work at all then that is the real savings.
Bought our First 30 three years ago and so far all we have done is repaint the bottom. which is cleaned by a diver every month , wash and wax, changed the drive train oils and go sailing. paying for depreciation on a newer boat is way less work and headache then paying to repair and retrofit an older boat that when you are done will still be an older boat, worth less then you payed for it.
Arcb likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #14 of 17 Old 10-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
The fun factor.
+1

Sailing is a sport. It's a good way to for people of all ages and fitness levels to get out doors, and do something active and fun.

I haven't been to Catalina Island, but I've looked at it on a map. It doesn't look like a tough place to get too.

If it was me, I'd go with a fun boat, I'd only go with a liveaboard cruiser if I was planning to live aboard and or long distance long term cruise.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-20-2017
Lake Sailor

First 310, one on my lake it is a sweet ride. The First 36.7, like I said, another sweet ride, raced on one. Lots of things to consider. Maybe see if you can get a 265 or 285 for starters. Anything in the First line is going to be a great, fun boat to sail.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-21-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
First 310, one on my lake it is a sweet ride. The First 36.7, like I said, another sweet ride, raced on one. Lots of things to consider. Maybe see if you can get a 265 or 285 for starters. Anything in the First line is going to be a great, fun boat to sail.
How hard is it for you to single hand a First 23 or a first 30? I?ve heard they were hard. I would like to be able to single hand the boat since I will be taking the boat out in my own when I can.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-21-2017

Single handing a boat is all about keeping the boat under control while doing things in the correct order so it is easy to maintain control. I sail my First 30 all the time single handed. the boat is set up to make it very easy., everything line is run back to the cockpit. the boat will sail up wind hands free. The hardest thing about it is flaking the mainsail by myself, for that i sometimes will use the auto pilot to keep it into the wind. San Diego harbor is a great harbor to single hand a boat. There is a First 30 down there named "REN" and he single hands his a lot during the week

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in