Hello SailNet! - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-18-2017 Thread Starter

Hello SailNet!

Good morning everyone!

I am new to sailing, I just passed my ASA 101 class and I am in the process of getting some hours in so I can take the 103 class and eventually purchase a 35' boat to spend all of my time and energy on.

I am in the SoCal area (San Diego) and look forward to sailing out to all of the islands down here, eventually making my way up to the Channel Islands National Park.

I have followed sailing videos for a long time now, and I am prior Navy, so I have some sailing experience, although different from traditional and/or hobby sailing. I look forward to actually enjoying it this time!

I am looking at purchasing a Beneteau, they seem like good quality boats with good craftsmanship. What is all of your opinions on Beneteau, and do you think a 35' boat would be a good boat for beginning sailing? I like that the 35 footers can make rougher passages, carry plenty of stuff, and have room for 4 or more people (usually two cabins). I know Beneteau's are more expensive than other boats, and I am ok with that. I would rather have a boat that is built with great care and attention to detail than any other boat.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-18-2017
Lake Sailor

Re: Hello SailNet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by day1player View Post
Good morning everyone!

I am new to sailing, I just passed my ASA 101 class and I am in the process of getting some hours in so I can take the 103 class and eventually purchase a 35' boat to spend all of my time and energy on.

I am in the SoCal area (San Diego) and look forward to sailing out to all of the islands down here, eventually making my way up to the Channel Islands National Park.

I have followed sailing videos for a long time now, and I am prior Navy, so I have some sailing experience, although different from traditional and/or hobby sailing. I look forward to actually enjoying it this time!

I am looking at purchasing a Beneteau, they seem like good quality boats with good craftsmanship. What is all of your opinions on Beneteau, and do you think a 35' boat would be a good boat for beginning sailing? I like that the 35 footers can make rougher passages, carry plenty of stuff, and have room for 4 or more people (usually two cabins). I know Beneteau's are more expensive than other boats, and I am ok with that. I would rather have a boat that is built with great care and attention to detail than any other boat.

Thanks everyone.
Welcome to the asylum. Bene's are great boats but, I am biased as I own one. You will get your share of Hunter people, Catalina people, etc.. I would think you want to start off with something a bit smaller... maybe. You are just learning and if you can get some time sailing on other people's boats, that would be a very good thing. Have you looked in to the costs of a 35 foot boat? Slip, maintenance, sails, etc... Have a look at the First 36.7. Nice ride, is quick too. I have sailed on one racing in the Apostle Islands. The Oceanis (sp) series is more cruiser, the First series is a bit more performance based. Get yourself some coastal navigation training too. There is a new thread here on the ASA 105 course. Lots to learn and maybe you can find someone to show you some things and gain some experience.

Good luck and welcome again.
seabeau likes this.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-18-2017
Master Mariner

A 35' boat is a real handful if one is pretty inexperienced. It's also pretty expensive to dock and maintain for an entry level sporting item.
Why not start out on a very forgiving smaller beater that you can crash into docks, run aground, handle easily by yourself and still have enough room to invite a few friends to go sailing? There are sure plenty of boats that fit these criteria; like a Rhodes 19, for instance. A year or so on her and you'd be ready for your nice 35' Bene.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 17 Old 10-18-2017

I personally like Beneteaus, especially the smaller Firsts, but all kinds of folks like all kinds of different boats for lots of different reasons.

However, personally, I think a smaller boat is better to learn on. Much smaller.

The nice thing about small boats, is they are relatively inexpensive to purchase, and relatively easy to unload if you decide that you want a bigger boat, especially if they are trailerable.
Towguy likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-18-2017
Lake Sailor

As I and others are saying, maybe smaller is better. You can stay in the Beneteau family too with a boat like mine. A First 235. Great little pocket cruiser and you can get them on a trailer for around 10K and sell it for that after a couple years too.
Towguy likes this.

Umquam Porro

post #6 of 17 Old 10-19-2017 Thread Starter

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses.

The club I am just joined offers some 22 foot sailboats for cheap rentals ($50-$75) I was hoping to get most of my experience renting from there since they are so cheap, also probably cheaper than owning a 22 footer. I also dont have a truck or anywhere to park the boat.

I have looked at cost for a 35 footer and with slip fees and so on I am budgeting about $1200 for San Diego

What are some things that are hard to learn about a 35' boat? I am looking at purchasing in 3 months or so, so I can get plenty of experience beforehand renting the 22s and then when I get to the 35 it may be a bit of a stretch experience-wise, but then I won't have to deal with buying/selling a 22. I imagine I will either be content forever on a 35 footer, or upgrade in about 5 years to something much bigger for some serious traveling. Thoughts? Do you think 3 months is good? San Diego bay isn't exactly the most daunting harbor.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 17 Old 10-20-2017

Which Beneteau models are you looking at? San Diego has one of the best Beneteau dealers in the world. 35' for a first boat is big but can be down with the right instruction. San Diego is a great place to learn.
Worth a look http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2011...s#.WemJf0yZPUY
Sails like a dinghy feels like a big boat. called a first 30 but measures 33'. boat is in San Diego

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 10-20-2017 at 01:38 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-20-2017
Lake Sailor

For a big boat, there is diesel mechanics, plumbing, electrical, sails are a lot more expensive as is the bottom paint. Things get spendy fast as the boat gets bigger.

Umquam Porro

post #9 of 17 Old 10-20-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Worth a look - Beneteau First 30
I've actually stepped foot on this boat to look at it, she is very beautiful! The broker I'm working with says I might like an oceanis better because of the cruising aspects. I am looking to eventually take the boat sailing out to Catalina with friends and such.

This seems like a good price for this boat too no? I've seen several Bene's from 95-2005 selling for 90-100k and this one which is practically brand new is going for 110k.

Boat prices are confusing.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-20-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
For a big boat, there is diesel mechanics, plumbing, electrical, sails are a lot more expensive as is the bottom paint. Things get spendy fast as the boat gets bigger.
I am looking forward to ripping everything in the boat out and apart over the years while owning her. I am very good in mechanics and electrical, plumbing I can learn. I've heard to estimate around 10-15% of the boats value per year in maintenance, is that true for your Bene?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in