Learning... - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By danvon

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-17-2018 Thread Starter

Learning...

Hey all! I'm a former Navy Submariner (nuke mechanic/supervisor) that's always had an idle interest in sailing (bought my first book on how to sail a couple decades ago). Recently got the itch again and loved my liveaboard dive trip on a sailboat in the Bahamas. That really, really made me wish I could spend my winters sailing and diving the Caribbean. Not having any practical experience sailing myself (just been a passenger previously) would make that kind of difficult (and the whole work thing), but I figure I can start learning now and then maybe, if I still fancy that kind of trip, when I retire in a bit (7-10 years probably) I may be able to make that a reality.

In the meantime, I plan on getting some lessons and some certifications (from my reading ASA certs are probably decent to work towards and can be transferred to get the European cert needed to rent a boat over there if desired), and then get out and do some sailing on the local lakes. So far my personal "sailing" experience as more than a passenger is just a few hours with a resort 16' Hobie cat in light winds.

Hoping to learn lots from this community!

Still learning and saving...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-17-2018
Freedom Chip Counter

Re: Learning...

Welcome!

Lessons and chartering are a great way to get behind the helm. Sailing is the easy part...maintenance can be a bugger, but it sounds like you've had some experience in that department.

Which liveaboard dive op did you go with out of the Bahamas?

Tartan 31
post #3 of 10 Old 01-17-2018

Yep. I did the first couple ASA courses last fall. Now looking for a boat. Another thing...make sailing friends, go with them, watch and learn and ask questions. It's been my experience sailors are usually happy to have crew.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
Welcome!

Lessons and chartering are a great way to get behind the helm. Sailing is the easy part...maintenance can be a bugger, but it sounds like you've had some experience in that department.

Which liveaboard dive op did you go with out of the Bahamas?
I'm confident in electrical, mechanical, and control systems. Fixing a sail... not so much. Hopefully that won't be something I need to do myself though.

I recently was on the Morning Star, one of Blackbeard's Cruises liveaboard boats out of Nassau. That, so far, was my favorite vacation I've ever taken. I'll be doing another liveaboard late this year (still coordinating which one and when with some friends who also dive).

post #5 of 10 Old 01-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vs Sailing View Post
Yep. I did the first couple ASA courses last fall. Now looking for a boat. Another thing...make sailing friends, go with them, watch and learn and ask questions. It's been my experience sailors are usually happy to have crew.
Yeah, I've got a number of years before I can head off to the Caribbean for the winters yet, so I've been debating buying "a lake boat" or if doing one of the marina's memberships with access to their boats for sailing would be a better idea. I'm leaning towards the latter just to get the instant access to more people who sail. Unfortunately, I'm about to head out of town for work for a couple months (minimum) so I'll be holding off on finalizing any plans for this year until I know when I'm going to be back home.

post #6 of 10 Old 01-17-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Welcome to SailNut! There are several instructors here, such as myself, that may be able to help you.

Every time that you go out with a different captain you will learn something new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Hi Jl-

Former submariner here also. I'm a cone'r but don't hold it against me.

I picked up sailing in '09 and have settled on a Tartan 33. Same as you, I'm handy with diesel, refrigeration, electrical, plumbing. Woodwork, not as much. I can sew but I haven't yet had to mend a sail.

Have fun.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2018

Electrical and mechanical experience is far more valuable than sewing most days. I'd say if you can keep a submarine alive you can handle a sailboat. Just remember that the sailboat stays on TOP of the water.
seabeau likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-18-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Hi Jl-

Former submariner here also. I'm a cone'r but don't hold it against me.

I picked up sailing in '09 and have settled on a Tartan 33. Same as you, I'm handy with diesel, refrigeration, electrical, plumbing. Woodwork, not as much. I can sew but I haven't yet had to mend a sail.

Have fun.
I like coners too

I have some experience in very basic woodwork (cutting, sanding, staining, home construction type stuff, etc). Nice to see other "sailors" who took up sailing too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvon View Post
Electrical and mechanical experience is far more valuable than sewing most days. I'd say if you can keep a submarine alive you can handle a sailboat. Just remember that the sailboat stays on TOP of the water.
Wait... on TOP of the water?? Oh well, guess I'll have to do the diving off the boat instead of in it...

post #10 of 10 Old 02-01-2018

welcome aboard my friend

Cliff Hel
Towing Company, Tow Truck, Auto Repair | Helena MT Towing Service

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in