Which oceans don't have sharks thx - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 01-17-2018 Thread Starter

Which oceans don't have sharks thx

I actually had a similar landlubber based question but for bears and backpacking. Let me rewind a bit...

Hey all! I am a 32 year old male, life is going at light speed, and I work in tech around the SF bay area. I've had the dream of building a wooden boat most of my life, and sailing to far-off places. Currently, the desire to do coastal/south american/Hawaii and beyond voyages is my target.

I currently have a 1978 o'Day 23-2 that I picked up for cheap and spent way too much money and time fixing up. It's almost ready to go back in the bay again, and may sail it to Tomales/Bodega.

My experience: I sailed a few times as a kid at a summer camps. I've read many books on voyaging and a few on seamanship. Have gone out solo probably around 15 times including overnight anchoring and desperately want to go more. I also watch *all* the sailing youtube channels in the little free time that I have outside of work, real estate, fixing the boat, and music.

I plan on taking my first leave of absense/voyage in 1 to 1.5 years. I haven't managed to convince a girl (well beyond some hippie ones) to come with me yet. But I'm working on that too.
Fair winds

Last edited by afraidofsharks; 01-17-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-17-2018

Re: Which oceans don't have sharks thx

All oceans have sharks. They are in the Mediterranean sea as well. If you are really afraid of them, get one of those electric field shark repellentshttps://sharkshield.com/news/do-shark-repellents-work/

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 44 Old 01-17-2018
Lake Sailor

Or go lake sailing..... Why the concern? They are not going to attack your boat like some other "sailors" said at the time of their "rescue"......
zeehag and sailforlife like this.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 Old 01-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraidofsharks View Post

My experience: I sailed a few times as a kid at a summer camps. I've read many books on voyaging and a few on seamanship. Have gone out solo probably around 15 times including overnight anchoring and desperately want to go more. I also watch *all* the sailing youtube channels in the little free time that I have outside of work, real estate, fixing the boat, and music.
Then you must have seen "SV Delos" vids. They seem to dive around or near sharks all the time. Im not a diver, so I looked it up. Seems sharks arent as aggressive as we are led to believe on tv. Just dont make yourself look like a splashing target (wounded fish/animal) and dont approach or threaten a shark and (apparently) they leave you alone.

Id be interested to hear from some actual divers.
sailforlife likes this.
post #5 of 44 Old 01-17-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraidofsharks View Post
I actually had a similar landlubber based question but for bears and backpacking. Let me rewind a bit...

Hey all! I am a 32 year old male, life is going at light speed, and I work in tech around the SF bay area. I've had the dream of building a wooden boat most of my life, and sailing to far-off places. Currently, the desire to do coastal/south american/Hawaii and beyond voyages is my target.

I currently have a 1978 o'Day 23-2 that I picked up for cheap and spent way too much money and time fixing up. It's almost ready to go back in the bay again, and may sail it to Tomales/Bodega.

I plan on taking my first leave of absense/voyage in 1 to 1.5 years. I haven't managed to convince a girl (well beyond some hippie ones) to come with me yet. But I'm working on that too.
Fair winds

None.

No oceans are without sharks.

If you are such a gutless coward then sailing isn't for you. Nor women.

Go home and snuffle mums breast.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 44 Old 01-17-2018

Younger generations are on the scene now...getting an interest in sailing....
Shark apps are here...really
post #7 of 44 Old 01-17-2018
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
None.

No oceans are without sharks.

If you are such a gutless coward then sailing isn't for you. Nor women.

Go home and snuffle mums breast.
Hmmm, I think someone’s running low on his anti old-crank pills. Someone, send Mark another bottle of rum!

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #8 of 44 Old 01-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Hmmm, I think someone’s running low on his anti old-crank pills. Someone, send Mark another bottle of rum!
I'm pretty surprised that anyone took the shark comment seriously! My style of humor isn't the most obvious I suppose.
But anyway, I have had my boat surrounded by sharks after I ran aground my first time solo sailing. I was a gutless coward and decided not to swim to shore in that incident (not that that would have helped me).
post #9 of 44 Old 01-17-2018

NP

When you have a real question, just post it.
post #10 of 44 Old 01-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
NP

When you have a real question, just post it.
I do. It's a long one about whether I should buy a boat and when, how that affects my business and job, and my cruising plans. It might be a little too financial heavy though...I assume that should go in the cruising section.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Joking aside, I am actually afraid of sharks. My friend wants to do a swim to alcatraz for example. I'm not quite so sure...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in