Catamaran or Monohull- which is best? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 Old 04-21-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Catamaran or Monohull- which is best?

I think I should just close this thread. There are obviously some really nasty hateful arrogant people on this site. I would not recommend this site to my worst enemy. Most of the comments have been nothing but stabs at me for asking the question. Over and out on this thread forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 Old 04-21-2018

LG it’s a reasonable question but best answered by understanding how you intend to use the boat, how deep your pockets are, how many people will occupy the boat and if you will have full time paid or other crew aboard. The people here are generally quite nice and supportive. I’m sorry their concern was perceived as not helpful.
Personally have been looking at this question my self. But given my boat is sailed as a couple mostly or as one and we tend to do two long ocean passages per year will stay as a mono for now. Please respond if you wish to understand my (and others) thinking on this topic.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #13 of 53 Old 04-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassiegirl View Post
I think I should just close this thread. There are obviously some really nasty hateful arrogant people on this site. I would not recommend this site to my worst enemy. Most of the comments have been nothing but stabs at me for asking the question. Over and out on this thread forever.

Who's being negative? They are only asking that you do the reading before demanding the Cliff's Notes. Then they will answer any more specific question you have at great length. For example, if you asked "do cruising cats really tack so badly that I need to back the jib?" you would get dozens of answers on each side. But asking which is better is a riddle with no useful answer.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 04-22-2018 at 10:27 AM.

post #14 of 53 Old 04-22-2018

There is not another person alive who can answer a question concerning your personal preferences, you must do that yourself. But, if you do not feel comfortable on a boat that heels you should not consider anything except a cat. Now the question to move on to is "How big a boat do I need for myself, my?, my other ?, and my 4 man crew and what amenities do I need for an ocean crossing? Good luck!

Last edited by Rocky Mountain Breeze; 04-23-2018 at 10:43 PM.
post #15 of 53 Old 04-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassiegirl View Post
She's going to be a joy to crew for.
ottos, capta, Sal Paradise and 1 others like this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #16 of 53 Old 05-15-2018
Unhinged and Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
She's going to be a joy to crew for.
man if she thinks this is hateful...should see some of the off road forums i'm apart of. People get torn to pieces for asking such open ended and vague questions like that (should I SAS my truck, should I get long travel or a solid front axle, do I need lockers and a crawl box). And the answer is always the same...if you have to ask you aren't ready. If you're going to spend the serious coin on a SIXTY FOOT boat, your first question probably should not be what kind of boat do I get. People on a forum can't tell you that without a lot of personal details and plans to compare them to their own experience. Where and how you're planning on sailing, your comfort level, your own preferences, number of people on board, length of passages should be the determining factors.
MarkofSeaLife and capta like this.
post #17 of 53 Old 05-15-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433050 View Post
I will hire experienced crew that work the boat with me when that time comes.
Have you considered that living with a few crew members on a boat as small as 60- feet may not be a very fun way to go sailing? Dealing with their personalities, individual needs and preferences and the fact you will never have any real privacy on your own boat, is not something most liveaboards would enjoy.
As a professional yacht crew for much of my career, with owners rarely being aboard for more than a few weeks, several times a year, I can assure you that as a full time liveaboard owner you are not going to easily find a crew you want to live with 24/7/365.
Down size your dreams to a boat you can manage alone or with one "friend"/ partner and I think you'll have a much more pleasant experience.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #18 of 53 Old 05-15-2018
Banned

Well it's nice to see the "kinder, gentler side of SN" play out in threads I'm not actively involved in. And here I thought I was the problem.

Heh-heh.
post #19 of 53 Old 05-15-2018

Hard to imagine what sort of "advice" the OP expects. Few have extensive experience with both cats and monos... And many have emotional attachment to the type of boat. And of course how does OP intend to use the boat? Live aboard distance cruising? Part time use from his home port? How many does he plan to have aboard? How many crew will be need to operate either boat.

I suggest OP sail several monos of the size he wants... and several cats and make his own decision.

Good luck!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #20 of 53 Old 05-15-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Hard to imagine what sort of "advice" the OP expects. Few have extensive experience with both cats and monos... And many have emotional attachment to the type of boat. And of course how does OP intend to use the boat? Live aboard distance cruising? Part time use from his home port? How many does he plan to have aboard? How many crew will be need to operate either boat.

I suggest OP sail several monos of the size he wants... and several cats and make his own decision.

Good luck!
From what I gather, the OP is a 67 year old woman with little or no actual sailing experience.
Any first time boat buyer looking @ a 60' cat for ocean cruising needs a pretty damn big bank roll and a good dose of reality check, IMO. But she seems to have the former if she's going to hire a full time crew. That's a cool quarter mil plus, right up front every year!
Anyway, it seems she's taken her ball and gone home 'cause "some really nasty hateful arrogant people" aren't saying what she wanted to hear.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in