SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Catamaran or Monohull- which is best? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/317530-catamaran-monohull-best.html)

433050 04-20-2018 11:24 PM

Catamaran or Monohull- which is best?

I am getting ready to buy a boat that is at least 40 feet minimum up to about 60 feet. What I am asking the community is their advice and experience with either a Monohull or a Catamaran. I am more inclined to buy a cat than the monohull because comfort is key and I do not like the way a monohull leans. But maybe I am overlooking the advantages of the other.

capta 04-21-2018 02:00 AM

Re: Catamaran or Monohull- which is best?

I'd search this site on this subject. It's been done to death.

MarkofSeaLife 04-21-2018 03:57 AM

Seriously there's a mismatch

Quote:

I am a 67 year old woman, with no sailing experience

who wants to buy a 60 foot catamaran..

Have you been sailing on a boat? Have you done a class yet?

Do some and you will probably answer the question yourself.

smackdaddy 04-21-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lassiegirl (Post 2051466282)
I am getting ready to buy a boat that is at least 40 feet minimum up to about 60 feet. What I am asking the community is their advice and experience with either a Monohull or a Catamaran. I am more inclined to buy a cat than the monohull because comfort is key and I do not like the way a monohull leans. But maybe I am overlooking the advantages of the other.

If you don't like the way a mono leans then you definitely shouldn't buy a mono. I've always sailed and raced monos, and my next boat will be a cat.

Since you don't have much experience, go charter some cats on a few trips in the Carib or Med and get a feel before you dump a lot of money.

433050 04-21-2018 03:03 PM

To Markofsealife...I have been doing some sailing ever since I posted that thread a long time ago so stop being so negative. Your comments are not appreciated and they never were even when I posted that thread. You seem to think you know it all on this site.
I have been on both kind of boats and like them both.

eherlihy 04-21-2018 05:15 PM

overbored 04-21-2018 05:34 PM

Depends a lot on your budget for the boat and the storage/ up keep. Florida is a great place for a CAT but they are expensive. you can buy more boat in a mono for the same price. Cats require a lot more dock space, more expensive haul outs and in the larger sizes have two engines to maintain. the sail systems are a bit more complex as they are mostly more automatic and easy to set the sails but this can be more to maintain. you can have an automatic mono but many more of them have less complicated sail systems.
Large Cats have standing head room but you can get the same headroom in a mono in a much smaller size. You are in Florida. there should be many cats to go see that would fit your budget. her on the west coast the decision is made a bit easier by the fact that even if you can afford the three times the price per foot price tag and the three times the price to dock a CAT, there is a ten year wait list to get a space.
Good luck in your search

RegisteredUser 04-21-2018 06:24 PM

Day 1...i would like to go flying.
1 year later....i want to buy a C130 or 757.

Try to understand.

take above advice and do some charters.
looks like you want a life-change.
learn more..dont get rooked because you dunno...see where it leads.

433050 04-21-2018 08:18 PM

I am intending on living on this boat and that has been my goal all along. That is why I have been blue water sailing since the first month I originally posted my thread that I wanted to learn more about blue water sailing. I lived in the bay are of SF my whole life and sailed on many boats there but not as a crew member, more as a guest. I just came off my third blue water sailing adventure as a newbie crew member and have learned a lot. I like many things about a monohull and many things about a cat. I have the money to buy either one and will do that once I make the decision. I will hire experienced crew that work the boat with me when that time comes. Yes there are many threads on this topic, but this discussion is for 2018, not 2010. Much has changed in the cat world that I would like to know about from the perspective of others who are sailing new cats.

SailingUphill 04-21-2018 08:50 PM

Lemme take a stab at this...
Which is the best computer to buy? I like to draw, and I've seen photoshop used.

Which is the best car to buy, I rode in a Rolls Royce and I'd like something with luxury... Which should I get a Sedan or a Coupe?

Which is the best house to buy? A Ranch or colonial? I want to own a farm and I spent summers baling hay.

I'm really NOT trying to be snipy, but instead trying to put context to the question...

How about we start with where you are going to sail? How many will typically be aboard? How many will be permanent crew? Or are you going to try to single hand it? Bluewater cruising in a large target. Are you crossing oceans? Seas? Or just coastal bumping? Just the Carrib?