Hello All - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-18-2018 Thread Starter

Hello All

This is my first post here. I have been a firefighter paramedic for the previous 19+ years and a Registered Nurse for 3 years, retiring in early 2019. I learned to sail at Florida Sailing Charters & sailing school in 2014. I have chartered there 4 times since completing ASA 101, 103, 104 & 105. I have never done any "blue water" sailing but hope to do so in the future. I will be moving from Indiana to Florida after retirement and hope to find a boat that is right for me. I would like to spend some time on my own boat and see if living on a boat is for me or not. I do love to sail but have not really spent a lot of time living that life style. My first priority is finding a boat that is right for me. I think that I want a full keel shoal draft boat with a skeg hung rudder. I think a boat around 40 feet would provide enough space for my wife and I. I am not that concerned about speed but strength and safety are at the top of my priorities. I have spent time on a Beneteau 44, Hunter 50CC, Catalina 35, Freedom 38, CSY 37 and an Island Packet 45. I liked the Island Packet the most but sadly I cant afford one of my own! I attended the Annapolis Boat show last year and came away with more questions than I had before I got there BUT I did discover Pussers Pain Killers! I am here looking for information and answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-18-2018
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: Hello All

Welcome Tacmedic. Please look around all of the forums. I can almost guarantee that any questions you might have about sailing and buying a boat as a new sailor have been asked. However, do not hesitate to post any questions that you still have in the appropriate forum.

As one half of a sailing couple, I would encourage your wife to also read the forums and ask any questions that she may have. Believe me, if you're both into the boat and share in the responsibilities and learning process, you'll have an easier and more enjoyable journey.

Best of luck.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-18-2018

Hey Tacmedic, I was a SAR Medic for a number of years. These folks are great

Last edited by Arcb; 05-19-2018 at 07:13 AM.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-18-2018
Master Mariner

I always suggest that folks find a boat that is a comfortable place to live if they are planning to live aboard. Very few folks sail more than 20% of the time and most a lot less, so the sailing characteristics should be secondary. For instance, it should have a good galley if you want to eat nice meals and lots of storage for your gear, stores and spares. Excellent ventilation is very high on my list of absolute necessities, just as the esthetics of a boat are way down on the list.
A few of the boats you've mentioned may be decent enough sailboats with nice accommodations, but they aren't the most comfortable of boats to live on in anything but a flat calm anchorage, which is something one rarely finds, especially in the Caribbean. Sailing around on your anchor is not a pleasant living experience, especially when the wind is up and it gets pretty radical, jerking first one way and then the other as she comes to the end of her rode.
It's really hard to get some of this info in advance, because most who own an uncomfortable boat will rarely own up to the fact they chose poorly. Be prepared to change boats after going cruising, as few buy the right boat the first time out. You'll notice these characteristics on other boats (hopefully not yours) as you move from anchorage to anchorage on your travels.
Do not let a seller push things like electronics as a selling point. Electronics on a boat, like tech in the real world, become outdated quickly, and though they may be quite functional and last you a long time, they should not add a great deal to the value of a boat.
But remember, first and foremost, this will be your home and it needs to be a place where you are comfortable, cooking (at sea or at anchor) sitting in the salon, sleeping or lounging around in the cockpit.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in