New to sailing - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SailingUphill

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-2018 Thread Starter

Cool New to sailing

I took an ASA 101 course last summer and starting to sailboat shop. Looked at a beautiful 1991 Precision P-21 today that was in the water. The boat looked to be in great shape and has a newer 5 HP Mercury outboard and galvanized trailer included. I would keep the boat on a lake here in northeast Pennsylvania. Any suggestions to look for potential problems with this model boat and any other info or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I finally retired and wanna sail sail sail!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-09-2018

Re: New to sailing

That could be a great boat for a place like Lake Wallenpaupack. If that's where you are, you should check with @SailingUphill . He could offer advice.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #3 of 6 Old 08-10-2018 Thread Starter

The boat is at Lake Wallenpaupack and it seems as if space for it at any marina on the lake might not be available. If I can find dock space then I'll go ahead with the purchase decision. New to all of this. Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-10-2018

It has been a few years since I have been there, so I do not know the waiting list situation. Take a look at Ironwood Point. I always thought that was a real nice looking place. When I had my 25 footer I considered putting it there, but I ended up eventually going to a larger boat on the Chesapeake.

You could also check out Silver Birches, since I know several people who do seasonal rentals there. They are under new ownership, so policies and prices might have changed.

I know that @SailingUphill is involved with Paupack sailing club. I would check with them and see if they have recommendations for seasonal slip rentals.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-10-2018 at 03:48 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-10-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I know Ironwood Point is very nice. I'll do some searching the next few days and maybe come up with something.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-11-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock

Jetguy, TakeFive is spot on.
Ironwood Point Recreation area is the place to be to hang out with sailors. The Macdonough family runs the place and are sailors.
They go out of their way to help get sailors a place for their boats. This year (as with most) is tight on boat slips. You may be able to wrangle something for the remainder of the season. There is significant turnover of stinkpots come summer, so its possible to get something for the whole season next year.

The P21 is a great boat and we have at least one in the club already. They seem to sail well, and the owner doesn't shy away from real wind, I've been out there in 25 knot blows only to see him out there cooking up the lake with me. They seem to hold their own even in the light stuff too, good boats. There are lots of Precision boats around the lake because we had one of the best dealers around in the "Sailboat Shop" that was in NJ on route 42 until they closed doors. Locally Lighthouse Harbor used to sell Catalina up until about 2010.

Check out https://www.paupacksailclub.com/
email me shnool @ yahoo if you have specific questions. I am the communications guy (which these days is mostly just facebook and website) for the club. Our club is dirt cheap. I think its $35 a member, and $70 if you want to race the season with us.
Either way get a boat. Sail with us. We'll even be happy to drag you out as crew if you'd rather we risk OUR boats

Race tomorrow actually (if it doesn't get cancelled due to torrential downpours).

Look forward to meeting in person.
jephotog likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in