New guy, new boat - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter

New guy, new boat

Hi guys n gals. I just bought a San Juan 21 last night for what I think is a very reasonable price. I've wanted a sailboat for many years, this one popped up on CL and I had a little cash burning a hole. [emoji3]
I have to go through it and make sure everything is ok, but enjoy doing that sort of thing.
My sailing experience consists of a sunfish at summer camp years ago, and a few hours on a MacGregor 26. So, I'm hear to learn how to rig the boat first, then learn to sail. I'll be in the background a while just reading.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Scotty C-M likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-23-2018

re: New guy, new boat

Good luck and have fun! There will always be projects to be done, but try not to forget about just going out and sailing!
post #3 of 14 Old 08-24-2018
The most female moderator

Dock

Best of luck and welcome to SailNet!
sailforlife likes this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-24-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks all. I just realized that I missed a word on the title. It should read "New guy, New boat"
Anyway, I took the sails out yesterday and folded them in a better way than just stuffed in the bags. I don't know if the sail number matches the hull, but it's #72. Still haven't found a hull number so I can get it inspected.

post #5 of 14 Old 08-24-2018
Master Mariner

Welcome.
Might I recommend Royce's Sailing Illustrated as a basic primer? It covers just about everything one needs to know to safely handle a small craft in a fun yet comprehensive format. From anchoring to boat nomenclature and even splicing, it's got most of what you'll need for getting started, yet is still a good reference book for the most experienced of us. No preachy tome here.
sailforlife likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 14 Old 08-24-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Congratulations, and welcome! Thanks for sharing pics!

Check the transom for the hull number. I don't know how to decipher some of them, but someone will probably chime in.
Donna_F and sailforlife like this.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #7 of 14 Old 08-24-2018
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills4lou View Post
Thanks all. I just realized that I missed a word on the title. It should read "New guy, New boat"
Anyway, I took the sails out yesterday and folded them in a better way than just stuffed in the bags. I don't know if the sail number matches the hull, but it's #72. Still haven't found a hull number so I can get it inspected.

Boats don’t get “inspected” like cars but you will need the hull identification number to change the title to your name. Assuming you were given one, if so, it should be on it already. If not, check the transom. Since it’s an older boat, the number may be very faint. Sail number is not always the hull number, especially if the previous owner had the sails replaced and didn’t care if the number was on there or not.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-24-2018

If you do a search online, San Juan 21s are still actively racing. There's a lot available to you online.

Rigging Ideas & Tips - San Juan 21 Fleet 1

Owner manuals available here: https://fleet28.com/resources/

...and more.

Should be a fun boat to learn on.

Best wishes.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-25-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Re: New guy, new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills4lou View Post
Fixed it!

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #10 of 14 Old 08-25-2018 Thread Starter

Re: New guy, new boat

I should clarify: the inspection I'll need is to have a LEO verify the hull# so I can get a title. No title was provided, only a string of bills of sale, none of which have any identifying numbers.
I'll need to get a bonded title, and the inspection is the first step.
I've looked all over the transom (outside) and haven't found anything. Is it in the inside?
Thanks again for the welcome and information.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in