Hello from PA! - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-17-2018 Thread Starter

Hello from PA!

Hello!

I'm a lifelong sailor and boater, grew up on the south shore of Long Island but currently sail mostly on the Delaware River out of Philadelphia. I was surprised with a Catalina 30 as a wedding gift by my amazing wife, so I'm here to learn all I can about my (new to me) Catalina and cruising in general. This is the first boat I've owned that is large enough to stay comfortably on for a few days, so I'm excited to plan out some nice cruises.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-17-2018
One of None

Re: Hello from PA!

Welcome aboard! where you keeping her? My Oday 30 is most likely still at Philly Marine center.. lord knows how many times she's changed hands. LOL There used to be 5 C 30s in my YC.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #3 of 15 Old 09-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Welcome aboard! where you keeping her? My Oday 30 is most likely still at Philly Marine center.. lord knows how many times she's changed hands. LOL There used to be 5 C 30s in my YC.
Thank you, excited to be here! I'm keeping her just down river at Pier 3, I've already stopped by PMC for fuel and a pump out. I'll keep an eye out for your old Oday next time I'm there.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-17-2018
One of None

How you doing if you have the fin keel? If I remember right it's pretty shallow in there!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #5 of 15 Old 09-18-2018 Thread Starter

All the marinas along the river north of Penns Landing have depth issues at low water now, I was told Sandy threw a berm of mud up outside the ship channel that runs right along the marina entrances. At low tide everyone is sitting in the mud now. I cannot get in/out within about 2 hours of the low tide.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-18-2018

Welcome to the club!

I kept my Catalina 250 on the Delaware River for 6+ years and had a lot of fun. The Delaware doesn't suck as much as most think! lol We kept her at Anchorage Marina in Essington. The marinas on the east end of Essington have more water (I had about 17' at low tide), so keep that in mind if you need to find more water. Plus, the currents keep your bottom clean!

We used to really love making the trip up to Penns Landing marina for overnight visits to the city. But as you probably know, their lack of amenities and parking make Penns Landing less attractive for seasonal rentals.

We also used to enjoy taking the C250 down to the upper Chesapeake once or twice a year. From Essington, I'd singlehand to Bohemia River on the first day, where my wife would meet me by car for points further south. Might be a little tougher to get to Bohemia from Philly in one day, and Bohemia might be tougher to get into with a fin keel.

When it came time for a larger boat we put our C34MkII down in the Chesapeake. The C250 was very nimble for the frequent tacking needed for river sailing, but I can't imagine tacking my current boat every 5 or 10 minutes.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #7 of 15 Old 09-19-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Welcome! And congrats on your new boat!

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #8 of 15 Old 09-19-2018

There are a few options.

Going up river you have Dredge Harbor on the NJ side - Riverside,NJ.
Going South in NJ you have Greenwich, last Bridgeport.

In DELAWARE is first Delaware City Marina in Delaware City just above the Delaware entrance to the canal. And about half was through the canal is Summit North Marina. Both did allow live aboard, are pretty good storm havens, have lift and storage facilities, and allow DIY. DC Marina is much smaller, quieter and within easy walking distance to a small store, a couple of restaurants and bus transportation to shoping centers and super markets.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #9 of 15 Old 09-19-2018
One of None

There is a lot more going north ( that North means north of Philadelphia) There's Winters Sailing Center Riverside, of course dredge Harbor,v there's Riverton, there is a number (29) of yacht clubs, Delaware River yachtsmen League DRYL.org, Salem Harbour, Neshaminy State Park Marina, curtin's Wharf and Marina, D & S tullytown Cove, and I believe there is a new Marina just above tullytown Cove I don't know what it's called. The river is navigable and the shipping channel goes all the way to Trenton, Trenton Falls is the height of Tide meaning that's where there is no more tide above Trenton Falls which is a big rapid going under the bridge

Oh! if you're interested in racing Riverton has organized racing I believe they have at Fleet of Jay boats, East End yacht club based out of Burlington has Tuesday night races in front of Burlington Island between Bristol and Burlington, Philadelphia believe also has racing.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 09-19-2018 at 12:22 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-19-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
We also used to enjoy taking the C250 down to the upper Chesapeake once or twice a year. From Essington, I'd singlehand to Bohemia River on the first day, where my wife would meet me by car for points further south. Might be a little tougher to get to Bohemia from Philly in one day, and Bohemia might be tougher to get into with a fin keel.
We went down to the Chesapeake over Labor Day weekend, making it as far south as the Magothy River. On the return we anchored in the Bohemia River on the south side, there was less than a foot under our keel at low tide! We were able to get into the gas dock on the north side at mid water, having my wife drive down and meet me there is a good idea. She let me know that the amount of time we spent on the boat was too long, of course the engine trouble and light wind on the way home didn't help with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
Welcome! And congrats on your new boat!
Thanks Rezz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
In DELAWARE is first Delaware City Marina in Delaware City just above the Delaware entrance to the canal. And about half was through the canal is Summit North Marina. Both did allow live aboard, are pretty good storm havens, have lift and storage facilities, and allow DIY. DC Marina is much smaller, quieter and within easy walking distance to a small store, a couple of restaurants and bus transportation to shoping centers and super markets.
Heading through the C&D I wasn't aware of Summit North Marina until I was passing it, I need to add it to my list as a possible spot to get a transient if I end up battling the current more than anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
There is a lot more going north ( that North means north of Philadelphia) There's Winters Sailing Center Riverside, of course dredge Harbor,v there's Riverton, there is a number (29) of yacht clubs, Delaware River yachtsmen League DRYL.org, Salem Harbour, Neshaminy State Park Marina, curtin's Wharf and Marina, D & S tullytown Cove, and I believe there is a new Marina just above tullytown Cove I don't know what it's called. The river is navigable and the shipping channel goes all the way to Trenton, Trenton Falls is the height of Tide meaning that's where there is no more tide above Trenton Falls which is a big rapid going under the bridge

Oh! if you're interested in racing Riverton has organized racing I believe they have at Fleet of Jay boats, East End yacht club based out of Burlington has Tuesday night races in front of Burlington Island between Bristol and Burlington, Philadelphia believe also has racing.
I'm familiar with Winters, I'm a racing skipper with Liberty Sailing and we keep our J27's on the hard at Winters during the off season. I do need to explore points north in my boat and see what is up that way.

Thank you all for the responses, I'm certainly excited to be here.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in