Unlawful boating tickets, government extortion!!! - Page 8 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 92 Old 01-31-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Unlawful boating tickets, government extortion!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I yearn for those quaint days when every attempt at compromise wasn’t dismissed as a “slippery slope”.
Long gone...people talk at each other now with very little listening or communication

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 92 Old 02-01-2019

Hmmm,

Call me simple; but, when you get a citation you take care of it...period. What ever it takes. If I found myself in this situation I would probably do two things. First I would have a complimentary vessel safety check by the USCG auxillary and if they made no comment about the anchor light I would ask them point blank if it was suitable. Then affix the sticker to the boat indicating that it passed and then go take care of the ticket one way or the other and move on.

It would be a good learning experience for the son and might avert other issues and would give a good rebuttal to any other possible tickets.

LPDiver
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #73 of 92 Old 02-01-2019
Captain Obvious

I agree and that could work. Really you never know what you get with a local judge. It could still boil down to his word ( LEO) against yours. They could say that you changed the light after the ticket.

But, the OP could also take that CG inspection and show it to the officer or prosecutor before the hearing and use it to plea the whole thing down to $50. Especially since he sold the boat and essentially has complied. Speak humbly and say , as you said, that you just need to resolve it in the best possible way. That has worked well for me with tickets.

However, reading the OP, with that level of effort by the police and that level of fines, personally I think they will take a hard line and a lawyer is needed.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-01-2019 at 06:24 AM.

post #74 of 92 Old 02-01-2019

OP received over 30 tickets for a non-compliant anchor light. No matter how great my skepticism of LEAs (especially in Florida), I strongly suspect the problem is his anchor light. It's either non-compliant (<2 nm) or it goes dead before sunrise.

We'll see if his ploy works. White privilege has its limits.
Minnesail likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-01-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #75 of 92 Old 02-01-2019
Captain Obvious

It's not like he accumulated 30 anchor light tickets from 30 departments all over Florida. All of the tickets are from one guy. At least that was my impression.

Many years ago, I had an old car that was semi broke down, in my girlfriends neighborhood. I made it a block from her parents house, clutch went out and I left it for a week. I then got a phone call from the state police saying : "move your car". The police didn't threaten me. They told me. I thanked him for the call. I moved the car and all was good.

That's another way the police deal with these sort of things

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #76 of 92 Old 02-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
OP received over 30 tickets for a non-compliant anchor light. No matter how great my skepticism of LEAs (especially in Florida), I strongly suspect the problem is his anchor light. It's either non-compliant (<2 nm) or it goes dead before sunrise.

We'll see if his ploy works. White privilege has its limits.
Now I need a program to keep track of the players in this saga. In order to know which of them is enjoying white privilege, I first need to know which of them, the cop, the landowners, or the OP is white? Somehow I missed that vital bit of information as I read through this thread. So, in order that I can try to follow along, would someone who knows post the skin color of all involved so I can tell whose side I'm supposed to be cheering for?

I don't know anything about the cop or landowners in question but it seems pretty clear that the OP should have at least attempted to address this issue much sooner. If it's an inadequate anchor light that's at fault, he should have realized that you can buy a LOT of anchor lights for what he's now contemplating paying a lawyer. Probably a good thing that he's now sold the boat because if something this simple can snowball on him to this degree, he was sure to have other problems when he actually attempted to get underway.
post #77 of 92 Old 02-01-2019

Dock

Here we go!
Attached Thumbnails
Popcorn.jpg  
post #78 of 92 Old 02-01-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
So, in order that I can try to follow along, would someone who knows post the skin color of all involved so I can tell whose side I'm supposed to be cheering for?
Notwithstanding the funniness of this line... I have been ordered by my MSM's (more senior moderators... Picture a Dragon) to shove this thread into Politics if it digresses to politics.
Butterly, as I never can find the Politics forum, I shall just delete all next political, racist, and cultural appropriation posts.

What takes you 1 minute to post takes me 2 seconds to delete Do a cost:benifit analysis at your leisure.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #79 of 92 Old 02-01-2019
bell ringer

[QUOTE=MarkofSeaLife;2051580732... I have been ordered by my MSM's (more senior moderators... Picture a Dragon) to shove this thread into Politics if it digresses to politics.

What takes you 1 minute to post takes me 2 seconds to delete Do a cost:benifit analysis at your leisure.

[/QUOTE]

well now that you are a slave to the man

!!$%##***^ white &&&6!! trash +}**"? Aussie @@@$((!!! Foster drinker
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #80 of 92 Old 02-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
.....!! Foster drinker
Using the F-word in a public forum is bad form.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in