Ils sont partis - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-09-2019 Thread Starter

Ils sont partis

Hello all,

I have recently joined and been hanging around awhile and will continue as I do seem to find a lot of useful information. I am soon to be 62 and plan to purchase a live about vessel and cruise (with wife, dog, and the occasional visitors) for a few years while (hopefully) I still can. I will post separate questions in different threads as I come up with them.

Departure date will be at full retirement of 66.5 so I do have a few years to prep and plan. Currently I am thinking of a forty something foot catamaran; while I am a low maintenance person, the comandante (aka spousal unit) not so much so. In the interest of a successful venture I will make every effort to make her comfortable (and I enjoy the fruits of the effort as well).

I am an avid scuba diver and lifelong tinkerer. I have years of experience on motor vessels all over the world in locations that it used to be your were in a war or shipwrecked. However, I have little pure sailing experience.

So the plan is to purchase a used cat in the next year or so and learn to sail for a year or two while repairing and upgrading the boat for long term; possibly, ATW cruising. I know there is a lot to do and learn and will inquire in later thread.

From the title you may deduce that I am a Cajun (or maybe not) I currently reside in Houston Tx, so am in a good location to work on the dream as I finish up my career.

LPd
MarkofSeaLife and Rezz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-09-2019
Master Mariner

Re: Ils sont partis

Good day.
Sadly, I find the ocean in general, and the cruising life in particular, quite unforgiving for any high maintenance person.
I would highly recommend you do at least several bareboat charters (with a skipper, if necessary) before you actually jump into this with both feet, and find out if your 'comandante' can appreciate the lifestyle. It is a great deal different from motor boating, where you can have unlimited electricity most of the time, and have the ability to go from point A to point B directly, on a pretty tight schedule.
This thing works much better if your relationship is a partnership, with both parties pitching in however they can, and even the pink/blue jobs theory isn't well suited to this lifestyle, IMO.
jephotog and RegisteredUser like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 12 Old 02-09-2019 Thread Starter

Capta,

I agree totally and most of my remarks were tongue in cheek. In reality my wife can and does work me into the ground on most days. My biggest actual concern is motion sickness. Being on the third coast close to sailing schools we will be taking sailing coursed together.

Next weekend every one in the family will be taking first aid courses. On the horizon is scuba lessons for the rest of the crew. The biggest short term task is that I have tasked the comandante with learning to ride a bicycle.

Thanks for the input.

LPd
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-09-2019

If you can afford not to wait till full retirement, I would urge you to consider speeding up your plans. Time is most precious commodity. I never regretted retiring early and with much less money. It is later than you think.
jephotog and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 12 Old 02-10-2019 Thread Starter

krisscross,

I agree 100%; however, I married a much younger woman who really wanted a child. That child will graduate precisely when I reach full retirement age. I have no regrets; it is what it is.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-10-2019

Of course, that is a perfect reason to wait. I waited to make sure my youngest finished college, as I was helping her financially. There is a right time for everything. Best luck with your plans.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #7 of 12 Old 02-10-2019
Barquito

It is hard to calculate how much it will cost to fix up a boat. Most who have done this say the cheapest way to get a boat that is set up for cruising is to buy one that is as close to ready-to-go as possible.

Valiant 32
post #8 of 12 Old 02-11-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpdiver View Post
krisscross,

I agree 100%; however, I married a much younger woman who really wanted a child. That child will graduate precisely when I reach full retirement age. I have no regrets; it is what it is.
Sell the child now to stock the cruising kitty. Or maybe Lend/Lease?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 12 Old 02-11-2019 Thread Starter

Barquito,

I agree on finding one ready to go. I don't know at this time if that is economically feasible at this time. I am very capable of doing most types of rehab work myself; such as engine repairs or rebuild, electronics and electrical, and my wife was a seamstress in the fashion market in Medellin so upholstery is covered as well. And just about anyone that has a bit of patience can paint and finish. All that being said...I would prefer a turn key boat ready for the 3 G's (Gas, Groceries, Go).

I do have time to shop so who knows.

LPd
post #10 of 12 Old 02-11-2019 Thread Starter

Mark,

Do you need a Galley wench? Actually, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. The big explosion Sunday was that she had a three day weekend and didn't manage to clean up the toy poodle poop in the back yard. Turns out I am to blame because I asked her to unload the dishwasher on Friday so she didn't have time to scoop poop.

I offered her the chance to home school and leave very soon. Seems she now WANTS to get a university degree.

LPd

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in