Alaskans Gone Wild.......errr nutty or something - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By PhilCarlson
  • 1 Post By RegisteredUser

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-26-2019 Thread Starter
AKD

Alaskans Gone Wild.......errr nutty or something

Hello everybody
We have grown tired of the cold winters.....too much wood cutting and too much beer consumption, kinda ruining my girlish figure, so sayeth the soon to be 1st mate.
We bought a 41 oi this past summer and I have spent the last 2 month's fixing' refitting and cursing. I know river boats and I know they do require one to "bust out another thousand" Well I've found that this piggy is hungry. Learning the hard way.
Found this sight and enjoy the info. Even spent an evening lifting 12 ounce weights reading about Jeff and the feller with the 33 oi going at it. Entertaining yet full of info.
Anyway, glad to be here and hopefully I can contribute some knowledge to help others avoid some mistakes I have made.

Over and out.
Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-26-2019

Re: Alaskans Gone Wild.......errr nutty or something

Welcome aboard. I originally misread cursing for cruising, which got my attention in Alaska this time of year. Let us know what you've been doing to your boat. Safety is mandatory. Second behind that is getting out sailing your boat, when the weather turns. Refits can be endless, literally. Sail, fix, upgrade, repeat.

Again, welcome. BTW, you can only be Over or Out, not both. It's a little peeve of mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-26-2019

Dock

Setting course for a warmer climate is a capital plan. Although I don't know how you expect that will reduce beer consumption.
jephotog likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
Setting course for a warmer climate is a capital plan. Although I don't know how you expect that will reduce beer consumption.
Yes,I wondered at his thoughts,I have been in Mexico for four days and consumed more beer than in the last two years,,for hydration purposes of course..man is it hot here.....Ralph

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-26-2019
Administrator

Welcome aboard.

Gary and I have gone at it for years now on a broad range of topics, Out Islands being one of the less critical ones. I think we reached general agreement that the OI 33 works well for him and for many like minded people. Compared to other choices that are out there it may not offer much performance or a particularly exemplary build quality, but not everyone cares about performance or build quality.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #6 of 10 Old 02-26-2019
Catalina 400 MKII

Hi Darren. Hope you make it through the winter. Here in California, we consider anything less than 70 degrees to be cold (just kidding). Have fun with the refit. Yes, Blow Out Another Thousand, and pass the beer. It's got to be Beer-Thirty somewhere!!

Last edited by Scotty C-M; 02-26-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-26-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
Hi Darren. Hope you make it through the winter. Here in California, we consider anything less than 70 degrees to be cold (just kidding). Have fun with the refit. Yes, Blow Out Another Thousand, and pass the beer. It's got to be Beer-Thirty somewhere!!
As a Midwesterner happily transplanted to Florida, I get no end of grief from my "up nort" friends when I complain about freezing my ass off at 45F.

Since "cold" is a generally a subjective term I have devised a way to objectively and scientifically quantify conditions that are "cold." First, one examines the temperature in Farenheit (doesn't work in Celcius), then compares it to one's age in years. If your age in years is greater than the temperature in F, then it is cold. (but you needn't feel cold)

If the numbers are the same, then it is almost cold, or still cold, depending on the temperature trend over time.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-26-2019

70 degrees on the water in south florida with wind means light fleece or rain jacket.
Acclimation
PhilCarlson likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2019 Thread Starter
AKD

You guys are correct on the cold part. As long as it is zero or above that's only hoodie weather at home. Below that out comes the Carhart unless cutting wood, then its still hoodie weather. If its real cold then down comes some trees...add a few tires then diesel. Wala...instant t shirt weather. Its a whole different world down here in the lower 48 or as we call it "Outside"
Been sweating but I am very conscious of staying hydrated... My arms and liver are sore from lifting weights😀
post #10 of 10 Old 03-10-2019

I guess boating is extremely hard in your area.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in