How do you find one? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 Old 03-04-2019

Re: How do you find one?

Craigslist is probably the best way to find a local boat like this. It shouldn't be hard.

FWIW, day sailing a trailerable boat normally only works when the boat lives on its trailer close to the launch ramp with its mast up. It's one thing to simply launch, sail and retrieve a boat.

Raising the mast and otherwise setting up the boat and then having to break it down again is way too much work for a day sail. Don't ask me how I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 03-04-2019

For 10 years we would step and launch out Lancer 25 every time we sailed. When we were really good and motivated, it was 20 minutes from the time that I stopped the truck to when she floated free. It's about the preparation and mods to speed things up.

That said . . . pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. It has tons of great information about this but best of all, the back is chock full of small boats in the 10-26' range. There are specs, sketches, photos, pros, cons: all the stuff to help you pick out the boat with the perfect features for you. One thing that I would recommend keeping in your radar is a real head. Most smaller boats have a bucket in the middle of the cabin; not fun for a shy crew member. IN the 25', shoal keel variety, you often find a small head, probably a porta-pottie.
post #13 of 38 Old 03-04-2019
Gemini 105Mc

A pristine Catalina 25 can be had for around 10K. However, your tow vehicle is not up to the task. Boat and trailer will be 6-7000 lbs, loaded, probably more. Cream of the crop years are 1987-1991, with a wing keel. Swing keel models are also readily available, they are trailerable, but require a little more maintenance.

The Catalina 25 International Association can be found here:

Association Forum

One of the members has this boat for sale:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/b...802397479.html

post #14 of 38 Old 03-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1711 View Post
Craigslist is probably the best way to find a local boat like this. It shouldn't be hard.

FWIW, day sailing a trailerable boat normally only works when the boat lives on its trailer close to the launch ramp with its mast up. It's one thing to simply launch, sail and retrieve a boat.

Raising the mast and otherwise setting up the boat and then having to break it down again is way too much work for a day sail. Don't ask me how I know.
Except on the Com-Pacs...thus my interest in them.
post #15 of 38 Old 03-08-2019 Thread Starter

Roughly when do used boats start coming up on CL and elsewhere? April? May? Iím checking every day, but with all the snow in my area, I donít think too many people are thinking about sailing.
post #16 of 38 Old 03-22-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Nice to see another Minnesota sailor. I went to Florida to get my First 235. You just have to be diligent n your search. Try Hooper's Yachts, he usually has a decent selection. What lakes are you wanting to sail? I just saw a 235 that came up for sale in South Carolina. Craig's List is probably better than most. For SailboatListings, check that ad date as a lot go stale and are old. Hit me up if you have any MN questions. I sail on Minnetonka, Wayzata Yacht Club.
I got out to Hooper's last week and pretty much nothing was visible under the snow. Today, if one is willing to cross the mud, the leftovers of 2018 are in plain view. I looked at an older Suncat today, but there was a lot of moisture on interior trim boards adjacent to the portside chainplate. There was a decent Cape Dory, a Sanibel and a Potter, but all of the owners seem to be rather optimistic about their value.

It was a fun day of poking around, but nothing that wanted to follow me home. I'm still stalking the ads and hoping to see a bit better selection in the local boatyards.
cb32863 likes this.

Last edited by Rmaddy; 03-23-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #17 of 38 Old 03-23-2019

I see quite a few listed on Facebook marketplace. I bought a Montgomery 17 in January; it needs a little work but will be ready in May. I'd suggest regularly searching Craigslist & facebook. Good Luck!
post #18 of 38 Old 03-23-2019

+1 on C22, swing keel, 86>, perfect for your application and specs, under your budget and plenty out there...

Last edited by rpludwig; 03-23-2019 at 09:05 AM.
post #19 of 38 Old 04-05-2019 Thread Starter

I'm surprised how slow the ads are coming. I would have guessed that March and April were much busier for those trying to trade up for something this year.

Renae
post #20 of 38 Old 04-05-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
I'm surprised how slow the ads are coming. I would have guessed that March and April were much busier for those trying to trade up for something this year.
I have found trailer sailers more difficult to find on the used market than keel boats. The storage and repair costs on keel boats are high enough sometimes people would do just about anything to get rid of them. A good dry sailer kn the other hand costs basically nothing to own if you aren't using it, so the incentive to sell just isn't there.

Tags
com-pac , daysailer , montgomery , potter , sage

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in