How do you find one? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 04-05-2019 Thread Starter

Re: How do you find one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I have found trailer sailers more difficult to find on the used market than keel boats. The storage and repair costs on keel boats are high enough sometimes people would do just about anything to get rid of them. A good dry sailer kn the other hand costs basically nothing to own if you aren't using it, so the incentive to sell just isn't there.
That's good to know. I'm still hoping for the best, but it's pretty slim pickings so far.

Renae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 04-05-2019
Master Mariner

It seems to me anyone looking for a trailer sailor has almost unlimited options, area wise. Alaska to Mexico or Hudson's Bay, Maine to San Diego. Shouldn' be particularly hard to find what you want at a price you can afford. I wish it was as easy for us bigger boat searchers.
Heck, you don't even have to know where the Panama Canal is! lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 04-05-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #23 of 38 Old 04-05-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
It seems to me anyone looking for a trailer sailor has almost unlimited options, area wise. Alaska to Mexico or Hudson's Bay, Maine to San Diego. Shouldn' be particularly hard to find what you want at a price you can afford. I wish it was as easy for us bigger boat searchers.
Heck, you don't even have to know where the Panama Canal is! lol

I guess the grass is always greener. I see plenty of ads for sailboats 25 ft and up, even in my small-lake state. I think part of the problem is that boat production has really dropped off in the last 10 years, and used boats aren't as plentiful or affordable as they used to be.

Renae

post #24 of 38 Old 04-05-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
I guess the grass is always greener. I see plenty of ads for sailboats 25 ft and up, even in my small-lake state. I think part of the problem is that boat production has really dropped off in the last 10 years, and used boats aren't as plentiful or affordable as they used to be.
Again, way outside my field, but I would suggest that the places one searches for sub-25-footers are quite different from where the bigger, more expensive boats advertise. Probably not too many 19-footers on Yachtworld.
I think its all about learning the ropes, understanding that having someone you trust (a surveyor) take a quick look at the boat if it's far from you, etc.
I don't fly from the Caribbean every time I want to look at a used sail; I hire a sailmaker in the area to do that and it has saved me thousands so far and only cost hundreds.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #25 of 38 Old 04-05-2019 Thread Starter

The reason I started this thread was to find more good places to look. As it stands, ever day I check the sailboat listings on Craigslist for all cities within 5-6 hours drive, I follow do the same with Sailboat listings for 6 states. I read the daily listings in Sailing Texas, which are surprisingly national despite the name. I hunt the local boatyards.

If you know of some other thing I should do, I would really love to heard about it.

Renae
post #26 of 38 Old 04-05-2019

See if there are Facebook groups for any of the local sailing clubs or racing groups. Sometimes things turn up there.
post #27 of 38 Old 04-06-2019

Owned a CD typhoon at the start of my two foot itis. Pluses are very stable and easy to sail. Surprisingly does fairly well in light air and fresh breeze. Well made so even an old one should be structural ok. I trailered it and had no issues setting her up by myself but it took some learning.
Downside for you is I think it would be rather cramped with four aboard. Most I had on her was two and a child and then only in benign conditions. Don’t know what winds are like in the Midwest summers but for New England it was a fine boat.
Rmaddy likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #28 of 38 Old 04-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
The problem with larger boats is the bigger they are the more complicated they become. A trailer sailor that is "in need of a little elbow grease" may take a month to get into primo condition. A 40 foot boat that has been neglected might take 2 years to get ready to sail. Logistics also become easier when I boat is on a trailer. I traveled 5000 miles for my last sailboat.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #29 of 38 Old 04-08-2019

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Good luck on your search.
post #30 of 38 Old 4 Weeks Ago

This one is maybe too far for you, but it seems right up your alley. Canoe yawl on a trailer with Tanbark Sails.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...ationFlag=true
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
Rmaddy (4 Weeks Ago)

Tags
com-pac , daysailer , montgomery , potter , sage

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in